893 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, Musicsaves said:

Thank you, this is much clearer for me.

I wish we had co mingling of finances but we have literally none. We are in different countries and the last nime I was there we tried to add me to his bank acct bit were told I needed an identity # in his country. No utility bills, no leases, no filing tax returns together....

Search here on VJ for threads about how to show bona fide marriage relationship... you will see lots of ideas on how to co-mingle finances even when you live in different countries.  And you can file 2018 taxes as married filing jointly, search for threads on that as well, you will learn a lot on how to do it.  Good luck!

I am at NSC. Last time my husband called them that my case now in process, last opened on early feb. They said delay time was because they are collecting the data first from beneficiary government. If the beneficiary doc from small town in a country will took longer time. If you are from france , it will be faster cz their government well documented their citizen data. But it was not "efficient", instead of us waiting until we are on the lines for few months, why they don't start collecting data from beneficiary country right away while we wait. So once we are in process we do not have to wait them again to collect our data. While japan only took 3 months for this kind of visa. 

I was thinking why they did not put me in TSC which way faster than NSC, then they said each beneficiary country have their own service centre.  

I am dissapointed with their notification system, feels like they build website only for aesthetic, not functional. They did not connect between email, sms, etc. 

Priority date on 5 of july

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

Search here on VJ for threads about how to show bona fide marriage relationship... you will see lots of ideas on how to co-mingle finances even when you live in different countries.  And you can file 2018 taxes as married filing jointly, search for threads on that as well, you will learn a lot on how to do it.  Good luck!

Again thank you! I find this site hard to navigate but I'll try searching. I'm wondering what lengths we really need to go to to proove bona fide marriage. My situation is a bit tricky in the sense that I'm not filing taxes as I'm on disability. I just feel in my heart, how can they really deny the spouse of a US citizen from coming..I know it happens but still. I feel like it should be understood that people who live in different countries aren't going to have a lot of co-mingling. Before I found this July filer group and was posting in the general CR1 forums, that's the message I kept getting from senior members...

7 hours ago, Musicsaves said:

Again thank you! I find this site hard to navigate but I'll try searching. I'm wondering what lengths we really need to go to to proove bona fide marriage. My situation is a bit tricky in the sense that I'm not filing taxes as I'm on disability. I just feel in my heart, how can they really deny the spouse of a US citizen from coming..I know it happens but still. I feel like it should be understood that people who live in different countries aren't going to have a lot of co-mingling. Before I found this July filer group and was posting in the general CR1 forums, that's the message I kept getting from senior members...

I wrote a blog post on my site after doing a few months of research on obtaining a CR1 or IR1 visa. I did it from the standpoint of obtaining one for a Romanian spouse, but it applies to any foreign spouse as the steps are the same.

I went over the complete process that will be required at the NVC stage, such as financial of support affidavits, and obtaining civil documents. You can check it out if you want it might help. http://roamingromania.com/blog/obtain-cr1-ir1-spouse-visa/#step5-nvc

Thank you for the insightful blog post. i am trying to build a bit of a rough timeline for things.

So once your case number is assigned by the NVC what is the current process and average times? it seems to be 2 months after your case number is assigned that its completed and visa's are being processed. or am i wrong?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, Stutters said:

Thank you for the insightful blog post. i am trying to build a bit of a rough timeline for things.

So once your case number is assigned by the NVC what is the current process and average times? it seems to be 2 months after your case number is assigned that its completed and visa's are being processed. or am i wrong?

here's the timeline based on 8 months of research by following many many cases of real couples here on VJ:

1. NOA2 arrives, file is sent to NVC and takes 3 weeks to arrive there

2. NVC because of the backlog takes 8 weeks to assign a case number

3. once you get the case number you can upload forms, documents, pay fees, this may take days or weeks depending on how ready you are with everything, so estimate at least 1 week

4. NVC then takes 3 weeks to process your documents, schedule your interview at the consulate/embassy, and sends the file to the consulate/embassy

5. depending on the country, the interview could be as early as 4 weeks from that time or much later, I've seen in some countries because of the backlog, up to 6 months

6. medical and biometrics are dome before the interview in the 4 or more weeks while waiting

7. if there are no issues like further documents needed, administrative processing (1 week to more than a year), or problems with the interview leading to a denial, which could all add weeks to the process, very unpredictably, the visa is ready for pick up or delivery to the beneficiary, this also depends on the country, and takes from a few days to a few weeks

So the total is very different for each country.  I'm estimating for Brazil the time from NOA2 to visa in hand, assuming no delays, and we have all our documents ready to upload now, will be about 21 weeks, or 5 months, from receipt of your NOA2, to visa in hand, but it could be longer as there are many possible bumps in the road.  And we are not going to buy any tickets for travel until visa in hand so a month later to get a reasonable fare, we are hoping that six months from now (we just received NOA2 a week ago) he can travel to the US.

Good luck to you with the NVC and interview phase of this crazy process!

Edited by carmel34

4 minutes ago, Musicsaves said:

So 6 weeks at NVC and still no case number 🙄😞

It took them 7 weeks to issue me one. seems to be anywhere from 6-8

Timeline
2 minutes ago, KJ2 said:

It took them 7 weeks to issue me one. seems to be anywhere from 6-8

Thank you! My NOA2 was 12/21 but NVC didn't receive until 1/22....I'm hoping we'll have a case # next week. I see you've paid your fees, are you submitting all your documents electronically or by mail?

14 minutes ago, Musicsaves said:

So 6 weeks at NVC and still no case number 🙄😞

I’m right behind you. This Friday will be 6 weeks for us. NVC received our case on 1/25. Funny thing is...I’ve called for the past two weeks and have been told all the information is in the system, they are just awaiting a case number. I guess we should be relieved that we only have 2 weeks or less of waiting for a case number

1 hour ago, Musicsaves said:

Thank you! My NOA2 was 12/21 but NVC didn't receive until 1/22....I'm hoping we'll have a case # next week. I see you've paid your fees, are you submitting all your documents electronically or by mail?

using CEAC so electronically! I would rather by mail it seems easier haha, but I can only use CEAC for my embassy

Timeline
1 hour ago, KJ2 said:

using CEAC so electronically! I would rather by mail it seems easier haha, but I can only use CEAC for my embassy

Oh wow I didn't realize you don't have a choice in the matter! I think I would rather mailing too. Oddly enough when i called today the 1st person said "oh you are electronically but I can't access your case so let me transfer you". Then I waited on hold again and they said sorry, we don't know why they transferred you, we don't have a case # yet.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.