julieascott

NBI Clearance with AKA

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all,

My mom got her NBI clearance online for her interview on the 17th. It was on her maiden name. Her husband's surname was indicated there. Will this serve as an AKA? Or should I request a new one that screams AKA? I wouldn't like to go through a bump on the road if I could help it. Thanks!

42 minutes ago, julieascott said:

Hi all,

My mom got her NBI clearance online for her interview on the 17th. It was on her maiden name. Her husband's surname was indicated there. Will this serve as an AKA? Or should I request a new one that screams AKA? I wouldn't like to go through a bump on the road if I could help it. Thanks!

If you have a NBI clearance that has all your mother's names that she ever used searched the results on one form, then you need nothing else. If you don't have all name research, then return to NBI and redo the search to include all her names.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

My wife and I just went through this yesterday, here's how it went.

If you fill out the NBI form online (https://clearance.nbi.gov.ph/) it is definitely awkward and unclear how they ask for the information. You are supposed to put in your birth name, and then later it asks for your husband's last name. But that feels insufficient, so my wife entered her married name as an AKA.

When she got to the NBI to pick up her clearance, the employee yelled at her for putting anything in the AKA section and explained that the AKA is only for people who have a criminal record, apparently in another name. They deleted the AKA from the application and then issued the clearance.

On the final clearance paper everything looks fine. It says "Family name" and "Husband's Surname" separately and it doesn't specifically state which one is the current name. So I'm pretty sure it qualifies for the US immigration requirement that both/all names appear on the clearance.

Unfortunately the US Embassy will want to see each name spelled out in the AKA section. You can do the main name in either the maiden or married name, but you’ll want the other name or names (even if there was say a misspelled name used somewhere officially) listed in the AKA. My wife went the first time and they were adamant that they (NBI) knew what the US wanted (maiden name, married status, husband surname) and it didn’t need an AKA. We decided to mark up a copy showing the maiden name and the married in aka and she went back and they then provided it accordingly.

There’s also a few year old pdf instruction list on embassy letterhead about required documents and is very detailed on NBI requirements (the latest checklist is just online no letterhead). Should be able to search and find that in google and then it’s extra clarity on official US letterhead that helps push NBI. 

7 minutes ago, Arkitekt-GS said:

Unfortunately the US Embassy will want to see each name spelled out in the AKA section.

<snip>

There’s also a few year old pdf instruction list on embassy letterhead about required documents and is very detailed on NBI requirements (the latest checklist is just online no letterhead).

Current list can be found here:

https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/family-based-immigration/the-interview/

Under item 5 (Document Checklist) specifically says the AKA must be filled out. And searching around VJ it looks like lots of people get denied visas (221g) based on this. Such as this post. Ooops!

My wife hasn't had her interview yet, so I'm going to go ahead and order a new one with the AKA filled out. 

Good catch Arkitekt-GS, thanks!

Timeline

Okay, thanks for the inputs folks but I am getting a little confused here. My mom's name is never misspelled on any document and she has used only her maiden and married name all her life. She is only married once. The name on her NBI matches with the name on MY birth certificate, HER birth certificate and HER marriage certificate. Do I still have to get a new NBI clearance?

6 hours ago, julieascott said:

Okay, thanks for the inputs folks but I am getting a little confused here. My mom's name is never misspelled on any document and she has used only her maiden and married name all her life. She is only married once. The name on her NBI matches with the name on MY birth certificate, HER birth certificate and HER marriage certificate. Do I still have to get a new NBI clearance?

If she used her married name at anytime in her life than she needs an NBI showing both married and maiden names. One would be listed on the NBI document as her name and the other name would be fully spelled out in the AKA section. It doesn’t matter which name is in which field as long as they’re both on the clearance. 

Timeline
13 hours ago, julieascott said:

Your mom's NBI must have both maiden and married name listed.    This is the AKA for ALL names used.    If both names are listed then the NBI is good.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.