Greenbaum

August 2018 NOA2 -----> NVC

2,040 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm starting to fill out the DS-160 and I have a question.

Once I have filled out the DS-160 is it possible to change the US address in which I will be living? Or does it not matter? The reason I ask is that at the moment my fiance lives in Omaha but he is currently interviewing for a job in Denver. He still has a couple more interviews to go before he will know if he's got it or not, but if he does then he will likely move there before I get to the US. So I'm just concerned that if he does get the job and moves to Denver before my interview (I haven't got my case number yet so don't know when my interview is yet), then the US address on my DS-160 will be different to where I'll actually be living. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
1 hour ago, nikki1992 said:

Once I have filled out the DS-160 is it possible to change the US address in which I will be living? Or does it not matter? The reason I ask is that at the moment my fiance lives in Omaha but he is currently interviewing for a job in Denver. He still has a couple more interviews to go before he will know if he's got it or not, but if he does then he will likely move there before I get to the US. So I'm just concerned that if he does get the job and moves to Denver before my interview (I haven't got my case number yet so don't know when my interview is yet), then the US address on my DS-160 will be different to where I'll actually be living. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am in a similar situation. Hopefully someone could answer.

9 hours ago, nowayout203 said:

Something makes me think that your 2-4 week waiting time reference is the elapsed time between the NOA2 date (the date when USCIS approved your petition) and the NVC case number assigned date. I believe that the time it takes for NVC to physically receive the approved petition from USCIS is the longest part of the wait (it's sent by ground, and possibly in batches). Considering California (USCIS) and Massachusetts (NVC) are on opposite ends of the continental US, most ground services quote an estimate of about 4-5 business days to ship things to/from.

Once NVC physically receives a case (quoted by others as the "NVC received date"), it doesn't seem to take long for them to enter the case into the system and assign a case number to it (the "NVC case number assigned" date).

We can't ignore the possibility that what we see here on the threads in real time are people who are calling NVC everyday to only being told that the case is not there and this can go on for days. We don't really know when the case arrives from USCIS and we really don't know when it will be imputed into the system. We can't even trust what the agent from NVC tells the callers that their case is not their when in actuality, it could be sitting right there waiting to be received and then a case number assigned, which of course could be logical. Record arrives, sits in a pile for weeks and then someone grabs the folder, enters it as received and then passed onto the agent who assigns the case number. During all this time the applicant is getting the run around on the phone. Once the case number is assigned and the document confirmation letter is generated then the applicant gets the letter, heads over to their time line on VJ, enters in the received date and the assigned date and there in lines the problem with that spreadsheet.

If you look at the time between NOA2 and case assigned date it's between 30 and 40 days average. Which means that even if you split that in half for this argument, that's two weeks from NOA2 to NVC, then 2 weeks to assign the case number. So I stand by my calculation where my observation is reflected what is actually going with this process.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

3 hours ago, nikki1992 said:

Use the address for the DS-160 where at the time of filing this document, he lives and you live. Once a address changes, his or yours then use this link: https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do

USCIS, NVC and your Embassy all know that people move and have new addresses and so it's not a big deal with them.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

We can't ignore the possibility that what we see here on the threads in real time are people who are calling NVC everyday to only being told that the case is not there and this can go on for days. We don't really know when the case arrives from USCIS and we really don't know when it will be imputed into the system. We can't even trust what the agent from NVC tells the callers that their case is not their when in actuality, it could be sitting right there waiting to be received and then a case number assigned, which of course could be logical. Record arrives, sits in a pile for weeks and then someone grabs the folder, enters it as received and then passed onto the agent who assigns the case number. During all this time the applicant is getting the run around on the phone. Once the case number is assigned and the document confirmation letter is generated then the applicant gets the letter, heads over to their time line on VJ, enters in the received date and the assigned date and there in lines the problem with that spreadsheet.

If you look at the time between NOA2 and case assigned date it's between 30 and 40 days average. Which means that even if you split that in half for this argument, that's two weeks from NOA2 to NVC, then 2 weeks to assign the case number. So I stand by my calculation where my observation is reflected what is actually going with this process.

Ok. I'm still not fully convinced because there are NVC received dates and case assigned dates in the spreadsheet that are either identical, or 1-2 days apart. That said, I will call NVC late Monday and see what I get (with no expectations). I'll report back with the results at that time.

By the way, the spreadsheet is not directly linked with VJ timelines. It's simply another place to enter the same (and duplicate) information, and another unofficial source of data, so what you see on the spreadsheet may not actually line up with what is entered into VJ timelines.

For reference:

- I-129F NOA2 date is August 6

- NVC agent informed me that the case was received into NVC (from USCIS) on August 17. (That answer was from 2 different NVC representatives yesterday, and very different from the "we have no record of your case yet, and it might take up to 6 weeks to receive the case from USCIS" response I got in the days before that.)

Edited by nowayout203

5 minutes ago, nowayout203 said:

Ok. I'm still not fully convinced because there are NVC received dates and case assigned dates in the spreadsheet that are either identical, or 1-2 days apart. That said, I will call NVC late Monday and see what I get (with no expectations).

For reference:

- NVC agent informed me that the case was received into NVC (from USCIS) on August 17. (That answer was from 2 different NVC representatives yesterday, and very different from the "we have no record of your case yet, and it might take up to 6 weeks to receive the case from USCIS" response I got in the days before that.)

Im totally convinced that it doesn’t take that long. I think the same thing as you

Timeline

This might be a little bit dated (October 2015?) and mostly related to immigrant visas, but worth a read - it talks a little bit about NVC in general:

http://ailaoh.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Intro-to-NVC_AILA-Ohio-Oct2015.pptx

A couple of interesting points:

- K visas (I-129F), orphans (I-600/A), and refugee (I-730) petitions are "expedited" in general (probably relative to the other petitions that NVC processes)

- NVC receives 12,000 to 14,000 petitions weekly

- Data entry/filing into NVC's system occurs in <10 days

Timeline

Also, another interesting read (and fun fact) I came across that describes how the case number is generated. I did try this on a few cases, and it does work. However, it's for all NVC cases, not just I-129Fs.

Source: https://blog.mygcvisa.com/2013/10/how-to-calculate-nvc-case-number.html

For any given case number in the format ABCxxxxyyyzzz:

- ABC is the three letter abbreviation for the embassy/consulate the case is assigned to

- xxxx is the year the case was received

- yyy is calculated as 500 + the day of the year that the case was received (or maybe assigned? not sure yet). For example, a value of 650 for a 2018 case indicates that the case was received/assigned (?) on the 150th day of the year (or Thursday, May 30, 2018)

- zzz represents the sequence that a case was assigned, relative to all cases the embassy/consulate was assigned on that day. For example, a value of 002 means that the case was the second case assigned that day to that specific embassy/consulate.

Edited by nowayout203

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Use the address for the DS-160 where at the time of filing this document, he lives and you live. Once a address changes, his or yours then use this link: https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do

USCIS, NVC and your Embassy all know that people move and have new addresses and so it's not a big deal with them.

Thank you! I will do.

I have another question about the evidence of an ongoing relationship since submitting the application. We have copies of flight confirmations and hotels, etc from recent visits. Does the petitioner need to sign all of this as well or can we just print them and add them to the documents that I take to the embassy? Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
28 minutes ago, nikki1992 said:

Thank you! I will do.

I have another question about the evidence of an ongoing relationship since submitting the application. We have copies of flight confirmations and hotels, etc from recent visits. Does the petitioner need to sign all of this as well or can we just print them and add them to the documents that I take to the embassy? Thanks.

I remember wondering about flight confirmations when I filed I-129F in January.  What I was told then is that flight confirmations aren't enough.  They need to know that I actually boarded the flight and went to the other country to see my fiancee, so I've been sending boarding passes and luggage tags.  I front-loaded my evidence and don't think I signed anything except for a letter describing what evidence I was sending.  I also wrote my name, her name, and the names of other people in each photo on the back of the photos.  I'm thinking of doing the same thing this time around.

Edited by microcebus

June 2016: We started writing to each other

June-July 2017: Met in person in the US for our first anniversary

December 2017 - January 2018: Met again in the US and got engaged

01/09/2018: I-129F sent to the USCIS Dallas Lockbox via FedEx

01/16/2018: Received NOA1 (NOA1 notice date: 01/11/2018)

June-July 2018: Met in person in Singapore and Australia for our second anniversary

08/03/2018: Notice date on our NOA2 (updated in USCIS's new website on August 6)

08/15/2018: Our case reached NVC

08/22/2018: Received NVC case number

09/04/2018: Our package left NVC (arrived 9/11, and she sent packet 3 that day)

09/20/2018: Received packet 4; scheduled interview

10/30/2018: Interview - told that we're approved!  Now waiting to receive the visa...
11/27/2018: Port of Entry at BWI

12/1/2018: Our wedding!

12/8/2018: Filed AoS on the way to our honeymoon (12/8-15/2018)
6/~7/2019: EAD and AP approved
09/25/2019: AOS interview in Orlando -- approval and green card!

Next step, June 2019: Filing I-751

Note: My wife is a Singaporean.  She moved to Australia before we met and got permanent residency there.

On 8/17/2018 at 3:13 PM, J&D09 said:

Noa2 august 06 website and 03 hard copy. Nvc received 08/17/2018. No case number yet. 

Question 😁 : How did you get the date that the NVC received your case? Did you call NVC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
6 hours ago, nowayout203 said:

Ok. I'm still not fully convinced because there are NVC received dates and case assigned dates in the spreadsheet that are either identical, or 1-2 days apart. That said, I will call NVC late Monday and see what I get (with no expectations). I'll report back with the results at that time.

By the way, the spreadsheet is not directly linked with VJ timelines. It's simply another place to enter the same (and duplicate) information, and another unofficial source of data, so what you see on the spreadsheet may not actually line up with what is entered into VJ timelines.

For reference:

Based on the timelines that I have been following, I'm inclined to believe too that it's really not taking that long. Time from NOA2 to NVC received was 10 working days for me and 1 day to have the number assigned. And I really only called based on what others were reporting. Ofcourse, it varies with this process so maybe we lucked out lol

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Vee_bay_bee said:

Question 😁 : How did you get the date that the NVC received your case? Did you call NVC

Correct. NVC was able to tell me that the case was received, but did not have a case number (the details of the case were not entered into their database yet).

50 minutes ago, Vee_bay_bee said:

Yes i did the number is 603-334-0888. You ask them if they received it if so to give you the case number. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.