The Nature  Boy

Commentary: My $200,000 Debt Should Not Disqualify Me For Governor of Georgia

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
7 hours ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

Maybe bachelors debt, not graduate debt.

Sometimes its not feasible to work and go-to grad school due to other priorities in life. 

Law school is notorious for having low placement rates, forcing students to sit on that debt for a few years. 

Again, poor choices.  I could have gone to law school.  But the juice was NOT worth the squeeze, and I saw that at the ripe age of 20.  And if one chooses to prioritize other things in life, that, again, is a personal choice.  I chose to work while going to school.  I also had all of my college debt paid off within 2 years of graduation.  Personal choice, because I cannot stand owing money.

8 hours ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Most of her student debt was paid off when she started practicing law in 1999. Also had nothing to do with her not paying taxes.

https://www.glamour.com/story/stacey-abrams-200000-in-debt

I managed to pay off the credit card when I started practicing law in 1999."

Does it matter? I thought we didn't want to know about people's tax returns.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

1 hour ago, Steeleballz said:

Does it matter? I thought we didn't want to know about people's tax returns.

You are the only person who mentioned tax returns in this thread.  

Poor management of personal finances,  and owing a tax debt are both signs to .e that a person has no  business managing tax payer money.

8 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

You are the only person who mentioned tax returns in this thread.  

Poor management of personal finances,  and owing a tax debt are both signs to .e that a person has no  business managing tax payer money.

So is bankruptcy and defrauding people. Well I should say it used to matter. Doesn't seem to anymore. Let them all run. It's a crapshoot whether the opponent will be better or worse anyway, and even then it may not matter.

35 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

So is bankruptcy and defrauding people. Well I should say it used to matter. Doesn't seem to anymore. Let them all run. It's a crapshoot whether the opponent will be better or worse anyway, and even then it may not matter.

Bankruptcy is a way to get out of debt, not avoid paying taxes.  Bankruptcies in 2010 totaled around 1.5 million in the US.  In 2016, it was down to 794,000 per year.  Pretty common practice in the US, actually.

28 minutes ago, Satisfied said:

Bankruptcy is a way to get out of debt, not avoid paying taxes.  Bankruptcies in 2010 totaled around 1.5 million in the US.  In 2016, it was down to 794,000 per year.  Pretty common practice in the US, actually.

Well thanks, but I know what bankruptcy is. Deferred tax payment plans to the IRS are also a way to get out of debt. Only one of those two options actually involves paying back every cent you owe. Neither one of those situations would tell me on the surface that the person involved has the best strategy for asset management, although I would not judge based on a situation where I did not have all the facts. 

As I said, the voters can decide. None of these things should mean a person can't run in an election. Whether they can win or not is a different story.