2,949 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline
2 hours ago, aquila said:

February 2017 😊😊😊😊 giving you more hope. Everything is going to be alright. We'll keep on praying for the best 👍

everything is in god hands. We will all be alright :)

Filed: Other Timeline
1 hour ago, joyandfaith said:

Aquila. I am new in this forum. Feb 21, 2017 filler and no answer yet. Apparently your timeline is kind of like mine. Is it?

Yes that's correct. We do have similar timelines. From the current processing times let's wait to see within this month if we'll hear some good news.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Juju2521 said:

Hi Sandra, 

I am still married to the Abuser. everything I submitted was hard evidence; police records, court records, medical records, pictures, sworn statement from myself and police clearance certificates... The communication I got was its at the local office and not the service center in Vermont. 

I wrote to the service center for clarification and waiting for a response.

Probably they will not answer you,they barely answer attorneys.Once the case is approved the case goes to the local office for a few hours then they ship to NBC and NBC ships back to the local office. It doesn’t make sense the information they gave you that the case was shipped to the local office in St.Albans-Vermont.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 hour ago, sandranj said:

Probably they will not answer you,they barely answer attorneys.Once the case is approved the case goes to the local office for a few hours then they ship to NBC and NBC ships back to the local office. It doesn’t make sense the information they gave you that the case was shipped to the local office in St.Albans-Vermont.

I was saying the same thing, I instructed my attorney to follow up.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone, this may be a stupid question. I got married Oct 18th, I am eligible to apply for naturalization on October 23rd.. Now, if I change my legal lastname in SS and DMV, do I also have to change my lastname in my greencard? I am not sure if I should or it doesnt matter? I am submitting my application for naturalization by November. 

If my greencard has my maiden name and SS has my married name would it affect my N-400 application? 

18 minutes ago, MGJ_NY said:

Hi Everyone! For those who had their I485 put on hold? Are you also receiving this email from USCIS? I get it every 2 weeks. I’m askin because I’m not sure if they put mine on hold. Maybe it’s a good sign? 

BBE33176-467D-4E4C-8D00-56F7B4D87AD4.jpeg

This is a normal message everyone gets. It’s an automated inactivity email. You can turn them off in your account, so that you only get notifications of activity. 

Hi everyone. I have a question about naturalization. I married in 2014 with American citizen,  applied for VAWA in 2015, separated in 2015. Got green card in 2017. Now divorcing, I hope this year 2018 ll be divorced. Question: am I aligible to apply for my citizenship in 3 years or not? Attorney who helped me with my case says to me that I’m, and it doesn’t matter I’m divorced separated etc, because it doesn’t make any logic to be married with abuser. Today I called to one attorney, who is pretty expensive, she said NO, I’m not. I have to remain married, and VAWA does not give me exception to apply for citizenship in 3 years. Please, advice me smth. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bahamas
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Beauty2018 said:

Hi everyone. I have a question about naturalization. I married in 2014 with American citizen,  applied for VAWA in 2015, separated in 2015. Got green card in 2017. Now divorcing, I hope this year 2018 ll be divorced. Question: am I aligible to apply for my citizenship in 3 years or not? Attorney who helped me with my case says to me that I’m, and it doesn’t matter I’m divorced separated etc, because it doesn’t make any logic to be married with abuser. Today I called to one attorney, who is pretty expensive, she said NO, I’m not. I have to remain married, and VAWA does not give me exception to apply for citizenship in 3 years. Please, advice me smth. 

I guess with vawa you can apply for citizenship after 3 yrs even if you are divorced or not. But let's wait for more clarification from the more informed colleagues here and Sandranj who is an attorney,  she has the best advice

28 minutes ago, Beauty2018 said:

When you receive your GC through VAWA you can apply for naturalization after 3 years even if you are divorced from your abusive ex-spouse. See link for memorandum below. 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/PolMem89.pdf

My personal opinion is that you should be divorced from your abuser before applying for citizenship because I think it looks fraudulent to still be with the abuser 3 years after VAWA approval/receiving your GC. I think the officer adjudicating the naturalization application will question whether the VAWA claim was fraudulent if the victim is still married to the abuser that many years after.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Lithuania
Timeline

Well so far its been over 2 months and i still didnt get any letter from them saying anything about my vawa, per my lawyer she is saying that its there but so far nobody touched my case because they are overloaded....

5 minutes ago, iwillsurvive said:

When you receive your GC through VAWA you can apply for naturalization after 3 years even if you are divorced from your abusive ex-spouse. See link for memorandum below. 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/PolMem89.pdf

My personal opinion is that you should be divorced from your abuser before applying for citizenship because I think it looks fraudulent to still be with the abuser 3 years after VAWA approval/receiving your GC. I think the officer adjudicating the naturalization application will question whether the VAWA claim was fraudulent if the victim is still married to the abuser that many years after.

I’m divorcing why my husband for one year already, because he doesn’t respond. In November is final hearing. Yes, I agree, it makes no sense to be in relationship. He got a restraining order, how I can remain married? It’s absurd. But attorney was very confident by saying that I’m not eligible, she runs millions doll law office, downtown etc, she said and it doesn’t matter he was citizen or GC holder, I have to wait 5 years. My heart stoped. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
22 hours ago, sandranj said:

Hi Sandra,

My attorney received a phone call from VSC re the issue. The file was sent back to them because of "Administrative Error" and is now at NYC Local office as at Aug 14. My attorney says she will write to the Supervisor of the NYC Local Office to probe such administrative error and ask that an interview be scheduled. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.