Dave_and_Jessa

Travel Tax question

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

When I got Jessa's ticket via Philippine Airlines I prepaid for her travel tax.  However, nothing is very clear as to how she is supposed to handle that.  Does she still need to go to the Tieze desk or can she just go straight to the airline check in desk?  Anyone have any issues with the prepayment? 

11/14/17 129F mailed

11/17/17 NOA1

05/14/18 NOA2

06/06/18 NVC received and case # assigned

06/12/18 left NVC

06/13/18 Manila Embassy received

06/13/18 CFO completed at Clark Pampanga

06/18-19/18 Medical exam

07/10/18 Interview - APPROVED!!

07/29/18 POE

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

She should be able to go directly to check-in with the airlines. 

Don't hear of many who were able to pay the travel tax in the air fare ... ;)     You are unique!

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

She should be able to go directly to check-in with the airlines. 

Don't hear of many who were able to pay the travel tax in the air fare ... ;)     You are unique!

Yeah, I was a little surprised.  It was in the same area where they try to get you to buy insurance on the booking.

11/14/17 129F mailed

11/17/17 NOA1

05/14/18 NOA2

06/06/18 NVC received and case # assigned

06/12/18 left NVC

06/13/18 Manila Embassy received

06/13/18 CFO completed at Clark Pampanga

06/18-19/18 Medical exam

07/10/18 Interview - APPROVED!!

07/29/18 POE

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dave_and_Jessa said:

When I got Jessa's ticket via Philippine Airlines I prepaid for her travel tax.  However, nothing is very clear as to how she is supposed to handle that.  Does she still need to go to the Tieze desk or can she just go straight to the airline check in desk?  Anyone have any issues with the prepayment? 

My wife went directly to the check in desk.  I think what you are referring to is the additional tax charged on Filipino citizens working in foreign countries when they come and go.  I think also that Duterte put an end to charging the people a special travel tax.

Timeline
2 hours ago, H&T said:

The amount of money you pay for the ticket already included tax.

Travel Tax is a Philippine tax, not normally collected with the airfare .. Philippine Airlines does allow this for the obvious reason.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

PAL and Cebu Pacific are the only two airlines I’ve seen that allow you to add the travel tax on to the ticket directly. 

Another option instead of visiting the TIEZA desk at the airport or office is to use  the online portal to pay and get the receipt. We did this for my wife on the last couple international trips...it was easy and of course no falling in line!

https://traveltax.tieza.gov.ph/

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply.  When my wife left the Philippines from Manila she didn't have to pay the travel tax.  They said as long as she had her CFO stamp and  immigrant visa she was exempt.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline

Was the airfare bought in the Philippines?    If yes, the travel tax was paid with the airfare.

CFO sticker and immigrant visa does not exempt a person from the travel tax

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Hank_ - we are both correct. But you are the most correct!  Here is the answer I got the the Philippine Consulate Los Angeles

Filipino citizens who are permanent residents abroad  (under Sec. 2 (1) of Executive Order No. 283, which amended P.D. No. 1183, as amended).

But the details are - If the Filipino has a K Series Visa they are not considered to be "permanent immigrant" Visas  where a CR1/IR1 is considered permanent.   Since the OP is K Series then the travel tax would apply. 

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Hank_ - we are both correct. But you are the most correct!  Here is the answer I got the the Philippine Consulate Los Angeles

Filipino citizens who are permanent residents abroad  (under Sec. 2 (1) of Executive Order No. 283, which amended P.D. No. 1183, as amended).

But the details are - If the Filipino has a K Series Visa they are not considered to be "permanent immigrant" Visas  where a CR1/IR1 is considered permanent.   Since the OP is K Series then the travel tax would apply. 

CR/IR-1 visa is not an LPR status, having the visa does not change the holder's status.     So I will ask once more... where was the airfare purchased?

If your wife dodged the travel tax another way ... it was a freak event .. not a reality of the Travel Tax.

What is Travel Tax?

The travel tax is a levy imposed by the Philippine government on individuals who are leaving the country irrespective of the place where the air ticket is issued and the form or place of payment, as provided for by Presidential Decree (PD) 1183, as amended.

http://tieza.gov.ph/travel-tax/

Who may be exempted from paying the Travel Tax?

The following Filipino citizens are exempted from the payment of travel tax pursuant to Sec. 2 of PD 1183, as amended:

1. Overseas Filipino workers
  2. Filipino permanent residents abroad whose stay in the Philippines is less than one year   - consulate is correct regarding an LPR
  3. Infants (2 years and below)

http://tieza.gov.ph/travel-tax/travel-tax-exemption/

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

11 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

So I will ask once more... where was the airfare purchased?

If your wife dodged the travel tax another way ... it was a freak event .. not a reality of the Travel Tax.

Inher first flight out the ticket was purchased in the Philippines.  It was probably on Cathay.    She had her permanent Visa Stamp and had a Philippines entry stamp within the year my guess is that the exemption was "Filipino permanent residents abroad whose stay in the Philippines is less than one (1) year".  Our round trip last month was purchased in Mexico and indicated her country of Residence as Mexico. (She has LPR there while awaiting our US Visa.)

I think it would be fair to say in (most) all cases the travel tax would apply for the immigrant's flight out.   It shouldn't apply to any return visits that last less than a year.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Inher first flight out the ticket was purchased in the Philippines.  It was probably on Cathay.    She had her permanent Visa Stamp and had a Philippines entry stamp within the year my guess is that the exemption was "Filipino permanent residents abroad whose stay in the Philippines is less than one (1) year".  Our round trip last month was purchased in Mexico and indicated her country of Residence as Mexico. (She has LPR there while awaiting our US Visa.)

I think it would be fair to say in (most) all cases the travel tax would apply for the immigrant's flight out.   It shouldn't apply to any return visits that last less than a year.

First ticket purchased in the Philippines?   ... travel tax was included in the airfare.     (Purchased online, not very often)

Permanent visa?   No such thing with the IR/CR-1 visa,.     Or are you saying she already had the I-551 stamp in her passport when she entered the Philippines ?     If so then you are not talking about normal exit process from the Philippines for Emigrates exiting the Philippines.

Green card holders (I-551 stamp in the passport is a green card) do NOT pay travel tax when visiting the Philippines, unless their stay is over a year.    CFO sticker is NOT needed for green card holders.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.