14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm curious about your experiences with the financial aspect of all this!

In my situation, I don't meet the "25% above the poverty line" rule (because I have to claim two of my children as dependents), but I think I have enough money in savings to make up for it.

:unsure: Although I'm fairly certain we'll be fine, I'm still a little nervous about being rejected. Was this a big problem for anyone?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

In my situation, I don't meet the "25% above the poverty line" rule (because I have to claim two of my children as dependents), but I think I have enough money in savings to make up for it.

:unsure: Although I'm fairly certain we'll be fine, I'm still a little nervous about being rejected. Was this a big problem for anyone?

If you don't meet the financial guidelines, you need a co-sponsor. Yes, it can present a big problem. Just line up a cosponsor and prepare accordingly, in advance.

That's what I thought. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with that much money that would be willing to sponsor him.

His family and friends are not U.S. citizens, but is it possible for me to accept money from them as gifts in order to bring my savings up? Or do they look at my income/savings over a period of time?

Like I said, I'm fairly certain we can do this on our own, but it will be good to know what my options are, just in case!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Start by reading the UK Embassy website instructions:

Evidence Which May Be Presented to Meet the Public Charge Provisions of the Law

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/faffidavit.html

So does the co-sponsor need to prove they can financially support me, my kids, plus my fiancé, or just my fiancé?

They need to be able to support all of you.

I thought the co-sponsor only needed to support his/her own 'dependents' and the intending immigrant. Hmm....now I'm confused. :unsure: (Note to self....do more research on this.) :)

-P

Edited by Paula&Minya
funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Lisa...just in case this might help...you can use child support payments that you receive as part of your income. I used mine and we were approved. I sent in the page from my divorce settlement that stated the amount to be paid in child support and copies of the checks written by my ex. Good luck. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

GlenAndLisa,

"I'm fairly certain" doesn't cut it with the government. They (your fellow citizens) are willing to backstop you, but not a non-citizen. If you can keep a roof over your head, clothes on your back, and food on the table for your present family plus one more then you probably have sufficient financial resources to meet immigration requirements - the requiements are really quite low.

If you do not have sufficient resources to keep a roof over your head, clothes on your back, and food on the table then immigration is the least of your problems.

Yodrak

Although I'm fairly certain we'll be fine, I'm still a little nervous about being rejected. Was this a big problem for anyone?

devilette,

No, they don't. The US government will take care of the petitioner and the petitioner's family if necessary. The sponsor needs to be able to support only themself and their own dependents plus the alien.

Yodrak

So does the co-sponsor need to prove they can financially support me, my kids, plus my fiancé, or just my fiancé?

They need to be able to support all of you.

GlenAndLisa,

"I'm fairly certain" doesn't cut it with the government. They (your fellow citizens) are willing to backstop you, but not a non-citizen. If you can keep a roof over your head, clothes on your back, and food on the table for your present family plus one more then you probably have sufficient financial resources to meet immigration requirements - the requiements are really quite low.

If you do not have sufficient resources to keep a roof over your head, clothes on your back, and food on the table then immigration is the least of your problems.

Yodrak

Although I'm fairly certain we'll be fine, I'm still a little nervous about being rejected. Was this a big problem for anyone?

What I mean when I say "I'm fairly certain" means that I have loads of money in savings which will cover it, from what I've read. I'm not just guessing on this, believe me!

Lisa...just in case this might help...you can use child support payments that you receive as part of your income. I used mine and we were approved. I sent in the page from my divorce settlement that stated the amount to be paid in child support and copies of the checks written by my ex. Good luck. :)

Will they count it though in this case:

I have four children, but I only claim two of them on my taxes. I have 50% custody of all of them. So do they look at that as four dependents or two? And if they only count two, do they still count my child support as income? Do you see what I'm saying?

And yes, I do have more than enough to provide for my family. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't. My kids come first. Thanks for all your help!

GlenAndLisa,

Yodrak

Will they count it though in this case:

I have four children, but I only claim two of them on my taxes. I have 50% custody of all of them. So do they look at that as four dependents or two? And if they only count two, do they still count my child support as income? Do you see what I'm saying?

Have you read the guide here on VJ concerning the Affidavit of Support? I see you are going through the K-1 process, so you (and your co-sponsor) will be filling out the I-134 form. Here is the link for the Affidavit of Support guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=support

Its noteworthy to keep in mind, that while it is the I-134 form you will be filing out for the K-1 visa, the guidelines used to determine financial responsibility are those present in the I-864 form. (This is the form that will need to be filled out when you adjust status, once you marry and apply for residency.) The instructions on the I-864 are detailed regarding what can be counted as income, so you can read the instructions on that too for a better idea.

If you are receiving child support from your ex for the care of your children, and you can document that, the amount your receive monthly counts toward your "monthly income". You will also be submitting your income tax return forms, and that shows the amount of dependents you claim, and the # of dependents that will be taken into consideration.

Good luck!

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.