Zeisha

K-1 Visa and healthcare

21 posts in this topic

Hello all, My Fiance is coming from the UK. We are applying for a K-1 Visa to get married. I was wondering about his healthcare because he doesn't get it until he becomes a citizen. What can we do in the meantime? He has inhalers that he needs every month and I just looked it up on the internet. They will be expensive to pay per month. Is there anything we could do for his medication needs? He can't go 3 years without his medication.

Edited by Zeisha

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Zeisha said:

Hello all, My Fiance is coming from the UK. We are applying for a K-1 Visa to get married. I was wondering about his healthcare because he doesn't get it until he becomes a citizen. What can we do in the meantime? He has inhalers that he needs every month and I just looked it up on the internet. They will be expensive to pay per month. Is there anything we could do for his medication needs? He can't go 3 years without his medication.

Don't have specifics myself, but can try to 'stock' up and bring some extra with. Once married and all can add him to your healthcare plan if you have one through your company.

Otherwise, go top right corner here on VJ and search for like "K-1 healthcare" or such and you can find a lot of threads discussing this matter and find some solutions or options I'm sure.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Why would he not be able to obtain health insurance until he becomes a citizen?  Do you have health insurance through an employer?   If so, you can add him to your plan after (or in some cases, even before) you are married.  

If you have coverage via the marketplace (Affordable Care Act, etc), then you can look into adding him to that plan as well, or finding a new one for the two of you.

Health care in the United States is expensive, and as such has to be included in an overall household budget for everyone.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

(edited because I believe I misinterpreted OP's post)

He doesn't have to wait to become a citizen to be covered. Once you are married, if you are currently covered by an employer, he could likely be covered as your spouse. My job was even able to add my husband as a dependent before his SSN had even been issued.

Edited by Paul & Mallory
Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from K1P&P - The OP is asking about health insurance.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

In this poster's previous post she mentioned that her and her fiance are both "disabled" and she has a co-sponsor. @Zeisha

are you not working right now? How do you get your health insurance? 

If you are on Medicaid/Medicare, this is what I mentioned to you about the concern that your future husband could be a "public charge" 

You can look into rates for private insurance - Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, there are a variety of public health insurance. Additionally there may be some low-cost clinics in your area that he could benefit from as well if he was unable to afford private insurance.   Remember that nothing about this process is cheap - the AOS fee and all the other fees for K1 are quite high - not to mention that he will be unable to work for several months when he comes here. Is this something that you have discussed with your co-sponsor?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

He buys it in the market place if you don't have insurance through your employer. 

So get married asap, make sure he brings enough medication to last him until you add him or he buys insurance. Sometimes finding a doctor can take a bit for new patients so extra medication is good to bring. Just have him ask his doctor. If his doctor knows he's moving he can write 90 days instead of 30 day or what ever he needs to get it to last as long as possible.

There are a few steps before Citizenship. You need to marry and file for Adjustment of status. He then will be a US permanent resident. You will want to do some reading. Check out the Guides at the top in the blue bar. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Not to be a downer, but I imagine with you both being disabled and unable to work, you will have much to overcome during the entire immigration process, related to the public charge issue.   Good luck to you.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Zeisha said:

I wish to thank you all on your responses. Before we had looked into him moving here, we reaserched me moving to the UK. It is a much better plan. Expensive yes, but the healthcare is better for us in the UK!

OK so if things are better in the UK, why did you decide that you would instead file a K1 in the US?

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Zeisha said:

I wish to thank you all on your responses. Before we had looked into him moving here, we reaserched me moving to the UK. It is a much better plan. Expensive yes, but the healthcare is better for us in the UK!

If you think that moving to the UK is a much better plan and the healthcare is better for you as a couple in the UK, then consider cancelling the K-1 and immigrate to the UK.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Zeisha said:

I was told we would probably get denied the K-1 Visa because we are both disabled. We both love each other,  but to go through the process of a K-1 and then get denied, is a lot of time and money! If we go through the process, get denied and then no marriage, it will be time wasted.

I don't think that they would deny you simply because you are disabled. It's more how your future will be - where you will live, how will you afford your life (and medications) - etc. They could easily see it being a "public charge" issue depending on the nature of your disabilities. 

Filed: Timeline
19 minutes ago, Zeisha said:

I was told we would probably get denied the K-1 Visa because we are both disabled. We both love each other,  but to go through the process of a K-1 and then get denied, is a lot of time and money! If we go through the process, get denied and then no marriage, it will be time wasted.

I've heard the UK allows for self sponsorship, so if you fiancé has enough assets to overcome the poverty/public charge issues it's worth pursing the K1/CR1. However, the CO does look at the totality of your circumstance.

Doesn't the UK have stricter financial requirements than the US?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.