RandB

Trump ramps up scrutiny of legal immigrants

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Article here.

USCIS is now going to try to deport naturalized citizens who may have lied on their application.

They are also going to start denying immigration applications instead of sending and RFE if there's missing information.

"The Trump administration is stepping up efforts to curb legal immigration, taking a series of actions in recent weeks that could lead to deportation for people already granted citizenship.

The director of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) — an office established in 2003 to process immigrant applications for visas, work permits, green cards and citizenship — told The Associated Press recently that the agency is hiring dozens of lawyers and immigration officers to review cases of immigrants who are suspected of having lied to officials during the naturalization process.

The agency said last week that starting Sept. 11 its adjudicators will have the ability to outright deny applications that are missing information. That’s a departure from an Obama-era policy of sending requests for more evidence or issuing a warning of their intent to deny the application."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
35 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

The RFE thing gives officers more DISCRETION into whether or not they should deny an application that is missing substantial paperwork. I read the official memo on it and it excludes minimal errors. From a discussion on another site, I gathered that this policy is for cases that have omitted something like the I-864. Even then, the policy isn't that officers can deny right away. Just that they have more power in deciding if they WANT to deny right away or not.

That's good to hear.

Just now, RandB said:

That's good to hear.

Yeah I freaked out when I heard it too. However I think I unfortunately jumped to an "extremist" interpretation of the policy. Personally I think it was worded in such a way to incite such reactions from intending immigrants. However upon closer inspection, the policy is not saying they are getting rid of RFE's and NTA's altogether. While I do think it will be good for weeding out certain kinds of cases and applicants, it remains to be seen how this will unwittingly and negatively affect some genuine intending immigrants because that is bound to happen due to humanity and our errors.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Off-topic posts and political comments inappropriate for THIS forum have been removed.

Thread is closed in favor of the ongoing thread in General Immigration Discussion.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.