cycswan

In person meeting exemption

107 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, cycswan said:

Apparently they don’t make much exceptions for the in person meeting, but would they make one if one person in the relationship had severe anxiety and couldn’t fly due to it? Also, flying would be the only option of transportation for meeting. Has the in person meeting ever been exempt due to anxiety or related issues?

Well there is the Pan-American Hwy but that is probably a two week trip, and could be more dangerous than flying, which as someone else pointed out,  It's the safest way to travel.  I don't mind flying, it's the 15 hours in-flight I had that was a pain.  Once in air, you can walk around have a few drinks, watch movies and videos of your choice.  Flying is about 7 hours or so,  and I see tickets for under $500 bucks, what a deal!   I can understand your anxieties for it, for some  it can be debilitating.  Question, have you EVER flown before?   Yes, you have to meet in person at least once.  Perhaps she could get a visa for Mexico, Tijuana or some other border town, then you could drive to meet there.    To get a visitors visa, she needs to have something stable to prove that she will not stay, like property, a great job or a business, or kids, etc.   And yes, someone also suggested a cruise,  then travel inland.

4 minutes ago, cycswan said:

Thanks for the replies all. Very upset hearing she can’t come and stay in US after marriage in her country. 

Them's the rules. The CR1/K1 visas are the only visas that will allow her to move permanently into the US and be with you. Any other way would be fraudulent. In any case, I do strongly urge you and your lady to figure out how you guys can meet up more than once. We all have had to deal with long-distance, time apart etc. It's no picnic.

Edited by mushroomspore

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, cycswan said:

Thanks for the replies all. Very upset hearing she can’t come and stay in US after marriage in her country. 

Yes, the wait sucks.......most of us have suffered through it....my wife and I were apart for a year after filing for her visa. ....average time from filing CR-1 paperwork to having the visa in hand is 12-14 months....You could visit each other in Mexico a few times during process perhaps.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, Oliversmom said:

One more thing I forgot to mention.  If you don't travel to her country you will miss out on so much.  You won't get to see her in her home environment.  You won't get to meet her friends and family.  You won't get to learn about her culture.  Even though getting on those planes was hard it was the BEST thing I ever did.  I treasure the time I spent there and I love his family so much

Agree!  I had a great time in the Philippines!  Although they have a different culture,  they are very "Americanized", and most kids learn English as a 2nd language as soon as they can talk, and most signs and stores at the mall are all in English.  I felt at home there in Cebu area.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
21 minutes ago, cycswan said:

She can come and live with you in the US with the proper visa.  If you marry in Peru you have to file for a spousal visa (CR1) which takes some time to process (12-14 months).  As others have said, if she has a tourist visa she can visit during the process, but not stay.  Immigration is a long process regardless of the visa type, it is not as simple as just getting married.  Be prepared to be patient.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Just now, cycswan said:

Her best option would be for her to try to visit her cousins here in the states - they sponsoring her. That being her sole intent of the tourist visa. And by some off chance she hypothetically comes to my state and we hit it off and I marry her, then she could stay I suppose.

1) Nobody can sponsor a tourist. They qualify or not completely on their own merits.

2) She cannot enter with intent to stay. That would be fraud. She can visit then return home (or anywhere else).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 minutes ago, cycswan said:

Her best option would be for her to try to visit her cousins here in the states - they sponsoring her. That being her sole intent of the tourist visa. And by some off chance she hypothetically comes to my state and we hit it off and I marry her, then she could stay I suppose.

Cousins can't sponsor her for a tourist visa. Tourist visas don't work like that. If visiting her cousins were truly her sole intent, marrying you and staying to adjust her status violates that. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, cycswan said:

No, that is not allowed.   That is visa fraud.. A person can NOT enter the US via a tourist visa with the intent to stay and adjust status.  Doing that can result in a lifetime ban......Read this:

https://www.soundimmigration.com/can-i-enter-on-a-visitors-visa-b-2-and-then-adjust-status-to-permanent-resident/

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Just now, EmmNM said:

First. This has been said time and time again on this site. There is no such thing as sponsorship for a tourist visa. Second if she lies to them about an american boyfriend and you just "happen to get married" And trust me they will find out. She will not be allowed to Adjust status and you will have a much more difficult road ahead of you. Just don't do it. How would you explain to them the fact that she just happnes to travel to your state and your town and hit it off and marry some random guy? That right there shows she has immigration intent. Who would marry someone they just met? It is a VERY bad idea.

Exactly. Plus he isn't just some random guy she met. They'd have to disclose that at some point and it would be discovered that she wasn't truthful in her original tourist visa application. Once that comes out, she can kiss the prospect of coming to the US goodbye.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, cycswan said:

Okay. I guess the only option is the k1 visa and meeting in the bahamas, then waiting a year. More of my life wasted on waiting on bs.

No one likes the wait, but there are thousands and thousands of K-1 and CR-1 visa petitions submitted every month.  There are a great number of people waiting in line ahead of you.  Maybe you could jut move to Peru, marry her, and live there since you think following the rules and the law is just bs.

Edited by missileman

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.