lizaanne

What to take as a hostess gift?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Dunno if it's been said, but you can get streaky bacon at Tesco's, and I picked up Bisquick at ASDA...so that wouldn't neccessarily be a 'treat' that they couldn't do themselves.

Someone from here...can't remember who...gave as part of her favor a glass candle from the Yankee Candle Company. I think that's a GREAT idea. But if you're looking for something 'exquisite' then that's not the way to go...it's hardly something expensive like fine china, but they'll have it a while & it'll give a good chuckle from time to time. Only probbo is, they're quite heavy if you're going to buy several...tho that'll just mean more space to bring back stuff :devil:

I'm going to have a think about what else is 'typically American' but for now all I'm thinking of is apple pie and baseball, lol

Edited by LisaD

Yeah...Dan always makes me fix him American pancakes. After getting over the initial...you're cooking WHAT for breakfast - he loves them!

I took some Texas wines over to the future in-laws my first trip over. They did like that. The picture book is a wonderful idea. If you can't find one that suits - and you have access to some digital photos you'd like to share - try www.shutterfly.com. I've sent the family a few things that I did on that site, and they loved them.

Edited by Dan&Tiffany

Our Visa Journey

2/13 - I-129F sent to TSC

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/5 - POE @ Dallas/Ft. Worth

8/11 - Wedding!!

10/15 - received Greencard

Got 10-year Greencard

Dunno if it's been said, but you can get streaky bacon at Tesco's, and I picked up Bisquick at ASDA...so that wouldn't neccessarily be a 'treat' that they couldn't do themselves.

Someone from here...can't remember who...gave as part of her favor a glass candle from the Yankee Candle Company. I think that's a GREAT idea. But if you're looking for something 'exquisite' then that's not the way to go...it's hardly something expensive like fine china, but they'll have it a while & it'll give a good chuckle from time to time. Only probbo is, they're quite heavy if you're going to buy several...tho that'll just mean more space to bring back stuff :devil:

I'm going to have a think about what else is 'typically American' but for now all I'm thinking of is apple pie and baseball, lol

I already said they can get bisquik and streaky bacon. Personally I think food isn't a good thing to bring as a hostess gift; I never use the stuff people give me.

You can also get Yankee candles here, I'm afraid; I know of three stores in York alone that sell them. :blush: But a nice big fat jar candle from there wouldn't go unused in this house.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

I already said they can get bisquik and streaky bacon. Personally I think food isn't a good thing to bring as a hostess gift; I never use the stuff people give me.

You can also get Yankee candles here, I'm afraid; I know of three stores in York alone that sell them. :blush: But a nice big fat jar candle from there wouldn't go unused in this house.

aww well #######, lol

woulda been so cool if you couldn't have gotten them :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think food is a hard one to take as everyone proud of their countries food. As they were not able to attend the Wedding why don't you take a nice frame photo from the wedding with you or the two of you at the wedding. Or make up a small photo album of the wedding photos, so they can see the event And Be able to show it to friends and family.

Darren

July 26th 2006 Took a trip to Texas !!!

Aug ???? 2006 Saw a Pretty Lady (Kristy of course)

Apr 10th 2007 After talking to lawyers and lots of tears returned home

May ??? 2007 Kristy go's in hospital for op

Jun 11th 2007 129F Paperwork sent

Jun 25th 2007 At last got NOA1 !!!

Jun 27th 2007 Touched

Jun 15th 2007 Its my Birthday Yea!!!

Aug 1st 2007 Kristy coming to see me !!!

Aug 11th Kristy went home :(

Oct 26th 2007 We've had our first touch !!!

Oct 31th 2007 Yes we've been touched Yet again !!!

Oct 31st Kristy coming to see Me yea !!!

Nov 1th 2007 Another touch is today the day!!!

Nov 2nd 2007 Another touch Now I'm getting Worried :(

Nov 7th Kristy Had to go home :(

Nov 7th no touches or update's since the 2nd and now A RFE !!! :((

Dec 14th 2007 At last NOA 2 !!! :))

Jan 15th 2008 paperwork landed at NVC

Jan 16th 2008 on itw way to london !!!

Jan 22nd 2008 recieve by the embassy

Jan 28th 2008 Oh my !!! panic packet 3 on my door step

Jan 29th 2008 Back in the post next day delivery !!!

Feb 4th 2008 Medical in london

Feb 25th 2008 interview at embassy Approved !!!

Mar 5th 2008 Flying Home !!!

April 5th 2008 Getting Married !!!

Or make up a small photo album of the wedding photos, so they can see the event And Be able to show it to friends and family.

We did that for J's family who couldn't come - just got lovely thank yous yesterday from some aunties. They felt like they could be a part of it!

Great minds think alike!! We did the same for Gary's family.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Timeline

I had a hard time too, figuring out what might be cool to give that was unique from the states. I admit, I do often give food related things.

My future father in law loves jams/preserves and I found many unique varieties in the food section of:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com

They specialize in selling hard-to-get items from the 50s and 60s, but also sell some really unique jams, preserves, chutneys and candies [though they won't ship their chocolate items in the hot months]. They also sell some wicked delicious Vermont maple syrup that was a hit. I love all the retro stuff they have.

I've brought a lot of stuff over from:

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommer...home.d2w/report

My fiance's family LOVES mango chutney and they sell a very delicious one. They have some interesting dressings, plus some yummy dessert sauces.

Oh yeah! Southern goodness:

http://www.byrdcookiecompany.com/

They have some of the most wonderful cookies I've ever had [the key lime coolers are legendary] and they go great with tea! The benne wafers and Georgia Peach cookies are also excellent.

I think most who have posted are right about the books, they're a great idea. I tend to hone in on interests I know my hosts/friends have that I can perhaps find an American slant on. Like, my father in law is a trainspotter and fossil hunting fan, so I got him books centering on the history of the American railroads and archaeology in the States. Another friend I have loves Sindy dolls and fashion dolls in general, so I brought her a book on the history of Barbie with lots of pictures. I give regional cook books from time to time, but only when I find cook books with 60%+ recipes including ingredients that they can easily find in the U.K. or easily substitute [which can prove difficult at times].

I hope you find the perfect gift! Have a lovely trip :)

MY TIMELINE:

MAY 2004: Met Online

NOV 2004: Andy's 1st stay with me in Florida, 3 weeks.

FEB/MAR 2005: Andy's 2nd stay with me in Florida, 1 month

APR/MAY 2005: Andy's 3rd stay with me in Florida, 1 month

OCT 2005-FEB 2006: I stay with Andy in England, 4 1/2 months

* I Proposed on Christmas 2005 & YES!*

MAY-AUG 2006: I stay with Andy in England, 3 1/2 months

AUG 2006: Andy's 4th stay with me in Florida, 3 weeks.

NOV 2006-JAN 2007: Andy's 5th stay with me in Florida, 1 3/4 months

09/05/06: I-129F Packet Sent!!

09/21/06: NOA1 Received.

12/07/06: NOA2 RECEIVED!!! W00t!!!

03/02/07: Sent off final Packet 3 checklist

03/20/07: Received Packet 4 Letter!!!!

INTERVIEW DATE: 04/19/07!!!!

04/19/07 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! APPROVED!!

04/26/07 - Passport w/ visa arrives via courier

Delta Flight arriving with fiance on 05/04/07!!!

05/04/07 - Home at last!!! w0000000t!!

06/01/07 - Our 'first' wedding at the county clerk's office.

09/19/08 - Andy walked out. That total dumb-a$$.

I always bring California wines and American Bourbon

We do have a couple things that are different.

How do you do that with the restriction of taking only a certain amount of liquid on board the airplane? I wanted to take his dad some Maker's Mark, Simon's favorite, but didn't want to get all the way to the airport only to find we can't take it on board with us. That would totally stink!!!

~Liza

This guy suggests wrapping up your wine as sort of a "wine mummy" and packing it in your checked luggage:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/oxford/carryon.phtml

AOS:

02/29/2008 - Wedding Day!

03/29/2008 - Mailed AOS packet to Chicago registered mail

04/04/2008 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

04-10-2008 - Check cashed!

04-12-2008 - NOA1s arrive for AP & AOS

04-18-2008 - Biometrics appt letter arrives

04-29-2008 - Biometrics appointment!

04-30-2008 - AOS status shows up online

05-16-2008 - AP status shows up online - both AP & AOS are touched!

06-05-2008 - AP touched and email sent saying AP has been approved

06-12-2008 - AP arrives in the mail

07-10-2008 - Interview letter arrives - interview scheduled for 09/05/08

09-05-2008 - Interview in SF (don't bring your cellphone!) -- approved! Email sent saying card has been ordered!

09-13-2008 - Welcome to the United States letter arrives

09-15-2008 - Green card arrives in the mail! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY

Timeline
I always bring California wines and American Bourbon

We do have a couple things that are different.

How do you do that with the restriction of taking only a certain amount of liquid on board the airplane? I wanted to take his dad some Maker's Mark, Simon's favorite, but didn't want to get all the way to the airport only to find we can't take it on board with us. That would totally stink!!!

~Liza

This guy suggests wrapping up your wine as sort of a "wine mummy" and packing it in your checked luggage:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/oxford/carryon.phtml

That is a fantastic article! Sadly, we just purchased two massive duffle bags for our trip, and he does not recommend packing wine mummys in duffle bags. :( Maybe I can find a way though - I'd love to take a bottle of Grand Traverse wine from Northern Michigan. Hmmm - may have to get creative with this. Maybe if I put the mummy in a wine box?

So many great ideas!! I love the Yankee candle idea for his parents, they live on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland, and I doubt they see many Yankee candles there. :D But for the friends we will be staying with, the coffee table book and a bottle of wine would be really nice I think. And it's not the last time we will be there, so we have to keep that in mind as well. We will always be back again!

~Liza

10 Year Green Card Holder Since July 2009 --- Thank you Visa Journey!!! :-)

Lizaanne, I don't know where you live in Michigan but my mother is a big fan of "The Michigan Store" there in suburban Detroit. I guess they have a website too:

http://www.michigania.com/about.php

They have all sorts of Michigan-themed goodies -- apparently the American pancake mix with Michigan cherries is a huge hit as a hostess gift

you can also get petosky stone knick-knacks, all manner of cherry preserves and cookies, etc etc

Also gifts from Greenfield Village are popular, but you may live far away from there!

90day.jpg

Also, if you don't live near Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, they have an online shop!

http://enssc.com/default.aspx?store=542

All the crafts are made in the Village (don't know if you've ever been, but they make 19th centruy crafts the traditional way - soap, blowing glass, silversmithing, etc). The pewter stuff is especially nice.

90day.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.