Urhermosa

Applied fiance visa, got married. Can we still continue with our case?

99 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 hours ago, Roel said:

Lol why does this thread still even  being discussed :D there is literally only one available answer to OP question and people are getting into some bizzare divorce BS advices or mentioning non existing K3 visa... really? 

OP. Cancel K1. Start Cr1. End of story. 

Because someone brought up far fetched hypothetical such as annulment and divorce and now people are so confused they think the couple actually did get divorced. 

9 hours ago, NovaDC said:

No divorce in Philippines. And annulment takes more than 10 years. And it's very expensive 

There is technically divorce in the Philippines, but it is limited to very specific circumstances (certain Muslims married/divorced by a Sharia court).

One can also have a foreign-obtained divorce recognized via going through the courts after the divorce.

It typically takes ~6 months to ~2 years. Sometimes longer. Ten years is very unlikely.

It is very very expensive.

2 hours ago, Brian_&_Gerlie said:

Have you registered your marriage at PSA? If not, your K1 can still be continued, and I advise you not to register it. Ipa-hold nyo  muna sa city hall. 
If you had a civil wedding, you can talk to the officiating person to hold your papers and not submit it to PSA.

One is married whether or not they register said marriage. It would be misrepresentation to proceed and claim not to be married.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
2 hours ago, Dave_and_Jessa said:

I really dislike threads like this one.  She had an honest, simple question.  Many gave her the correct answer, and then many more questioned her thinking for even asking the question.  Everyone isn't an involved with the immigration process as many are here.  Let's not pass any judgement on anyone for asking a question, no matter how obvious the answer may be to everyone who spends lots of time here.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Filing in general for a Visa is already a deep hole of unknowns for most people and even sometimes after hours and hours or research you still wish you could have the definite answers of the best option for you and your personal life circumstance by the CO themselves. You never know the reasoning or specific situation a person is faced with. While of course, there are proper protocols to follow during this process 100%, this isn't the place to pass judgement, just a friendly personal advice and leave it at that. At the end of the day, they make the decision they feel is best for them as a couple.

K1 Journey from Spain to USA :wub:
10-25-2017 I-129F Sent to Lewisville
10-27-2017 NOA1
XX-XX-XXXX NOA2 :jest:
XX-XX-XXXX NVC Received
XX-XX-XXXX Interview Scheduled
XX-XX-XXXX POE :whistle:
XX-XX-XXXX Married 

2 hours ago, Urhermosa said:

Yes I understand. I'm more comfortable of doing the CR-1. Just only curios about that info

Of all the posters in this thread... 7 pages long... posters who have been on VJ for years and have heard and experienced a lot.... you focus on a newbie member, who has only posted once since joining the site, suggesting to hide the very important fact that you got married during your fiance visa process.

Stop grasping for straws. Lick your wounds, dust yourself off, learn from this mistake, and cancel the K1 so you can start the spousal visa.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

3 hours ago, Dave_and_Jessa said:

I really dislike threads like this one.  She had an honest, simple question.  Many gave her the correct answer, and then many more questioned her thinking for even asking the question.  Everyone isn't an involved with the immigration process as many are here.  Let's not pass any judgement on anyone for asking a question, no matter how obvious the answer may be to everyone who spends lots of time here.

And yet she continues to ask about the possibility of continuing the K-1 Visa. It’s not too hard to understand she can’t do that. OP,  please accept the knowledge of those “who spend lots of time here” as the CR-1 being the only way to move forward. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

First and foremost, research these things much more thoroughly before filing or paying for anything. I don't say that to be condescending, but it's very important. If you had, you and your partner may not have decided to get married halfway through your K1 process, because now you have to start over with a whole new visa and you're back at square one. Yes, there are some advantages to a CR1 versus K1. But you've still lost the money you've paid up to this point, and the months you've already been waiting. I don't know your situation or why you guys decided to go ahead and jump the gun with marriage, none of us do. But in general, I don't consider it worth it. You also aren't privy to some common terms people are using, such as AOS or POE. Now, not everyone uses abbreviations and maybe that throws some off. But if you are unfamiliar with things like Adjustment of Status regardless of how it's typed out... you need to be. CR1 doesn't have such process as K1, so that specific process is probably irrelevant now, but there will be other relevant terms and steps you need to be aware of. I suggest reviewing the ENTIRE CR1 process, as this is now your only option, from beginning to end so you know what will be expected of you, including what NOT to do. Immigration is a serious thing. Even if it's by innocent error or misunderstanding, some mistakes or misrepresentations can get you denied or even worse, banned.

To the suggestion some have been dancing around that you could divorce/annul the marriage as a possibility - no.

1. The K1 is a FIANCE VISA only. Not a spousal visa. Even if you could possibly get away with it in time, the CO would most likely deny you because you married your petitioner while the process was pending, whether you've gotten divorced or not. Not to mention it could look suspicious somehow. Discretion is a big part of these decisions. These people see a lot of fraud and pay attention to red flags. People have been denied for having unofficial gatherings/ceremonies/whatever you want to call it while waiting out K1, and it was interpreted as a marriage by the CO.

2. The information you provided on your original application would no longer be correct. You weren't married/divorced at that time, and you are now.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

And yet she continues to ask about the possibility of continuing the K-1 Visa. It’s not too hard to understand she can’t do that. OP,  please accept the knowledge of those “who spend lots of time here” as the CR-1 being the only way to move forward. 

I mean, if she's in denial, then she's in denial and there isn't anything anyone here can say that will fix that.  I get it.  It's gotta be hard to accept that you've lost a lot of time and money by doing something that was probably one of the happiest moments of her life.  So yeah, stay in denial and get denied at the interview, or cut your loses and start the CR1.  She's been told over and over again.  If she wants to grasp at an unattainable, then oh well.

11/14/17 129F mailed

11/17/17 NOA1

05/14/18 NOA2

06/06/18 NVC received and case # assigned

06/12/18 left NVC

06/13/18 Manila Embassy received

06/13/18 CFO completed at Clark Pampanga

06/18-19/18 Medical exam

07/10/18 Interview - APPROVED!!

07/29/18 POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*****  several judgemental posts removed.  As Op received the correct, legal info, this thread is now closed.  Op is free to make a follow on thread for info on their new CR-1 path. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.