Urhermosa

Applied fiance visa, got married. Can we still continue with our case?

99 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, missileman said:

Annulment in PI takes about 2 years..........about a year longer than a new CR-1 spousal visa would take.

I see. Then no other even theoretically possible way but re-petitioning for CR-1. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

why try to lie to USCIS about never being married? That just feels awfully close to trying to scam the system. 

So you are saying annul the marriage is lying to USCIS? So basically they cannot explain to the USCIS that they made an innocent mistake by getting married and they want to fix it by cancelling the marriage? Sorry I don't know the requirements to annul a marriage, and you implied regret is not a righteous/legal reason. 

Anyway I agree that the PO should start all over for CR-1. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 minute ago, issea said:

So you are saying annul the marriage is lying to USCIS? So basically they cannot explain to the USCIS that they made an innocent mistake by getting married and they want to fix it by cancelling the marriage? Sorry I don't know the requirements to annul a marriage, and you implied regret is not a righteous/legal reason. 

Anyway I agree that the PO should start all over for CR-1. 

I'm not saying annulment of a marriage by itself is lying to USCIS. But in this scenario it sort of is. You sign papers saying you're free to marry send the application in. Then you get married and then you want to pretend like it never happen. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
16 minutes ago, issea said:

I see. Then no other even theoretically possible way but re-petitioning for CR-1. 

All in all, the CR-1 is better, in my opinion.

K-1

More expensive than CR-1

Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)

Spouse can not leave the US until she receives approved Advance Parole (approx 3-4 months)

Spouse can not work until she receives EAD (approx 3-4 months)

some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period .

Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1

Less expensive than K-1

No AOS required.

Spouse can immediately travel outside the US

Spouse can start work if desired

Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card withing 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US

Spouse  has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

All-in-all, the CR-1 is superior to the K-1 imo.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

You are no longer fiancés needless to say this route is no longer for the two of you.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Upside you will have your green card 3 weeks after POE. and no AOS.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Luckycuds said:

You are no longer fiancés needless to say this route is no longer for the two of you.

Thank you. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, missileman said:

All in all, the CR-1 is better, in my opinion.

K-1

More expensive than CR-1

Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)

Spouse can not leave the US until she receives approved Advance Parole (approx 3-4 months)

Spouse can not work until she receives EAD (approx 3-4 months)

some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period .

Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1

Less expensive than K-1

No AOS required.

Spouse can immediately travel outside the US

Spouse can start work if desired

Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card withing 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US

Spouse  has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

All-in-all, the CR-1 is superior to the K-1 imo.

Thank you so much for this. Got an idea about it, it really helps! Me and my husband can make it and I am pretty sure of it! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Urhermosa said:

Thank you. What's AOS and POE means? 

POE is short for Point of Entry ( When you come into the US you go thru a POE). and the AOS ( Adjustment of Status) is what you have to do after your enter on a K1 visa to the tune of 1225.00 currently. So there's 1225 dollars back in your pocket in a way.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

4 minutes ago, Urhermosa said:

Thank you. What's AOS and POE means? 

AoS = adjustment of status (green card application submitted by people who are in the US and are allowed to apply for a green card.)

PoE = port of entry (place where you enter the US. Usually an airport, but also includes sea ports like San Diego, the Canada-US border where many people drive and the US-Mexico border where many people also drive).

You need to read this page IMMEDIATELY.

Do not make any more mistakes regarding your immigration into the US. Take it seriously and learn everything before you do anything else. You're okay right now because you're not in the US yet. But any other mistakes risk incurring a ban or denial.

Timeline
1 minute ago, mushroomspore said:

AoS = adjustment of status (green card application submitted by people who are in the US and are allowed to apply for a green card.)

PoE = port of entry (place where you enter the US. Usually an airport, but also includes sea ports like San Diego, the Canada-US border where many people drive and the US-Mexico border where many people also drive).

You need to read this page IMMEDIATELY.

Do not make any more mistakes regarding your immigration into the US. Take it seriously and learn everything before you do anything else. You're okay right now because you're not in the US yet. But any other mistakes risk incurring a ban or denial.

Thank you so much for the reply. I do really appreciated it, really helps!  I am thinking the same. Do it all right as I don't want to be in trouble in the future. Thank you again! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
9 hours ago, Urhermosa said:
Me and my husband applied fiance visa and it's already processed 4 months now. But we got married a month ago, got marriage certificate but not yet authenticated. Can we still continue with our case?  Need help please. Thank you 

you are gonna have to withdraw your K1 and start your K3 processing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.