83 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Leigh&Antonio said:

What other evidence needs to be done?  We video chat every night, I have been to DR three times since we met I always stay with his family there. I have a Facebook with our pictures posted and linked to his & his family.  Every time I go there I take a lot of pictures.  I am looking into wedding venues but OMG in NJ they are so expensive.  I am thinking Vegas where it is cheaper or St. Thomas (VI).  I am not quite sure what other evidence is needed.  Please let me know.

Yes, everything in Jersey is expensive. Expand your search to PA (Philly and surrounding cities) and see if you can even put something together on a beach in Delaware.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

The year before we filed our i-129f the processing time was 8 months at the Texas Service Center. Obama was president back then. Does it matter?

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 hours ago, Dave_and_Jessa said:

I have been through this process twice now (and never again! lol) And I know several couples who have also been through the process over the period of the last 10-15 years.  From my knowledge, processing times have never been as long as they are right now.  I could be wrong, but that's just from the data I see.  And the wait times are not caused by an increase in the number of petitions.  So take that for what it's worth...

The year before we filed the i-129f (in 2016) the normal processing time was 8-9 months, especially at the Texas Service Center. So yes, they have definitely been longer than they are today. When we filed the average processing time was 2-3 months at CSC, but our case (with no RFEs) took 6 months.

Processing times have always gone up and down, back and forth. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

3 hours ago, Leigh&Antonio said:

What other evidence needs to be done?  We video chat every night, I have been to DR three times since we met I always stay with his family there. I have a Facebook with our pictures posted and linked to his & his family.  Every time I go there I take a lot of pictures.  I am looking into wedding venues but OMG in NJ they are so expensive.  I am thinking Vegas where it is cheaper or St. Thomas (VI).  I am not quite sure what other evidence is needed.  Please let me know.

DR is one of the higher fraud countries, so he will likely need extra evidence of bona fides for the interview.  I suggest loitering on the DR regional thread for specific advice and experiences.  Also, I would research whether you can get married on St. Thomas VI on a K-1.  US territories vs states can be a slippery slope when it comes to immigration, and it may be subject to CPB discretion.  I'm sure @geowrian and others can comment to that.

Yes, processing times have increased since the current POTUS took office. No, they did not increase because he took office. A big cause of the backlog is an increased case load, much of which was focused on naturalization applications after the election. The transition of any administration does carry some lag as well.

4 hours ago, Dave_and_Jessa said:

I have been through this process twice now (and never again! lol) And I know several couples who have also been through the process over the period of the last 10-15 years.  From my knowledge, processing times have never been as long as they are right now.  I could be wrong, but that's just from the data I see.

I guess you weren't around when DACA went into effect. ;) The backlogs for the I-129F were over a year on average for a decent chunk of time.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

It sucks but that’s the way it is. You just gotta learn to be patient. If you have been waiting for 88 days, you’re not even half way there since it’s been taking around 200 days for NOA. Also, if your fiancé is coming on a K1 I wouldn’t risk a wedding in St Thomas. Remember that once through the first POE your visa is void and he can’t leave the country without AP or he wouldn’t be allowed back. Even though St Thomas is US territory you never know how flights go and whatnot. Even then I would still not risk it because if something happens you are screwed and would have to start all over again. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

K1visa holders can only go to US STATES, not US territories without problem. 

And yes sorry to tell you that you still have a lot of days to count for NOA2 approval. A lot of us went through that, we just all endured. I said goodbye  to my then fiancé now husband on November 1 2016 and we were reunited November 1,2017. It was a long wait and frustrations but now we barely remember all of them. Happily married for almost 8 months now. I’m sure you’ll have your happy ever after soon. Just hang in there.

Edited by NovaDC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

5-7 months is not really a long time. That's only a small step in the overall timeline visa journey to become a U.S. citizen. By comparison, CR1 visas are 10-14 months which is a long time to not see someone.

I've been waiting for 8+ months, and others have waited for almost a year for their approval, no RFE. If one can't handle 5-7 months, I'm not sure their relationship was built to last.

The current administration has nothing to do with the increase in time. In 2015 two mass shooters in san bernardino, one of which was admitted into America on a K1 visa, clearly affected the current processing time and forced USCIS to revamp or further investigate cases even longer.

Edited by Rocko20

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
7 hours ago, Leigh&Antonio said:

Yes it is an I-129 Fiance Visa, I had forgotten their legal term of K1Visa.  Thank you.   However, if they could do less time in the past then they could do it again if ....... (hiring takes place).  Or is it because Trump came into office and everyone Panicked.  jjj  I was just hoping he would be here by Christmas, I always wanted to get married in December. 

Yes, a lot of Green Card holders decided they better hurry up and get citizenship, and that caused a backlog that rippled through everything.

Lol 5 - 7 months is nothing. Be grateful that your visa category doesn't take + plus 10 years (siblings, adult children) then you could come complain that it's a long wait. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

my case is taking long also CR1. We currently at 278 days. Im just beside myself i never imagine it would take so long. Im trying my best to be patient. I received an RFE june 6 and still waiting on an approval. My husband is also from dominican rep. Im thankful i can visit often. I visit my husband also every month for 3 yrs now. Im just ready for us to be together everyday. I just cant wait til this process is over.

9 hours ago, Leigh&Antonio said:

The 5-7 months wait at the USCIS is a really long time.  I have the app on my phone and I check it everyday.  My application has been waiting for 88 days now (accepted April 24, 2018). The application check date is only on December 17, 2017 (today is July 15, 2018).   ITs so long!  Has the process gotten longer since Trump has been in Office?  Also is the USCIS processing times include the NVC or is that time frame separate from the USCIS processing times?   I really wish that he could visit me here instead of me flying to Dominican Republic.  I am a school teacher and I cannot take off days at a time to visit but he could from his job.   I really miss him and we do talk every night but I really miss hugging him.   I have not had to get a lawyer and it is my impression that you only reach out to one if you have had a problem with the application and I have heard that they cannot make the process go any faster.  

Does anyone else feel like their application is in Limbo or collecting dust on top of a shelf somewhere?

Join our April filers thread, we are a lovely bunch and happy to support you. Search April filers 2018

5-7 months isn't that long and there's plenty you can do to make time pass.

All I can do as beneficiary to make it go faster is do little things each month toward leaving my life here and being ready for NOA2 phase.

It will get much quicker when that hits. Stay positive.

Edited by AmandaandChayne

Late 2016: Met playing Clash of Kings the West

Feb 2017: Started online "dating"

May 2017: Met in Orlando

July 2017: Arkansas and Seminole (1 night) visit

October 2017: Washington DC visit.

December 2017: Seminole OKC home visit and Amanda  met Chayne's kids and dad.

January 2018:  York England visit Chayne met Amanda's son.

April 2018: London/Paris/York visit we got engaged on April 6th!!

April 19th 2018: packet sent

April 23rd 2018: USPS say packet signed for.

April 25th 2018: Electronic NOA1 received 

April 26th 2018: Cheque Cashed

April 30th 2018: hard copy NOA1 received

June 2018: Seminole visit, Amanda met Chayne's  adult son

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

complaining about the wait doesnt change anything. yup, it sucks. but it is what it is. 

find something to occupy your time.

we're lucky in that we see each other at least once a month, sometimes more, and manage to keep ourselves pretty busy. my son was in a community theater play, which killed a bunch of time for 2 weeks for me, we are headed up to canada Friday and have a crazy busy schedule, then 2 weeks after that, he is down here for a jimmy Buffett show,  then my sons school starts, over labor day weekend we are going out to tennessee to meet up with a friend of his... then we head into fall which is always busy with me with getting ready for halloween and our (aka MY)  party, and my daughters birthday.... then there's the holidays.

keep busy.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

10 hours ago, britishandusa said:

5 - 7 months is very short.  My husband (fiancé then) took 9 months until he finally got here and that was WITHOUT an RFE. There are still a few people from last June (when we filed) waiting for NOA 2. You gotta have patience, this isn’t process isn’t easy nor short. Try to spend time building evidence and making plans in the mean time.

We are still waiting at 243 days. Some are faster, and then you have some like ours. 

The fiancee visa process might seem long for you but try filing an i130..... long distance relationships are never easy. 

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.