Jn&Ella

Correct Last name for Form I-485?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This is probably a stupid question for most but I need to ask. My wife came to the USA as K-1. We got married and we are applying for AOS. Should my wife use her Maiden name for "last name" in the form since it matches her passport, visa, SS#, etc. or should she put my Last name for this question and then send her passport to her home consulate for change of her last name?

Met online 5-11-06

Met in person 8-12-06

Sent in I-129F 9-18-06

NOA1 10-2-06

No touches

NOA2 12-13-06

Filed: Timeline
This is probably a stupid question for most but I need to ask. My wife came to the USA as K-1. We got married and we are applying for AOS. Should my wife use her Maiden name for "last name" in the form since it matches her passport, visa, SS#, etc. or should she put my Last name for this question and then send her passport to her home consulate for change of her last name?

WHat name is she using now? Put that.

Your wife should put the name she wants to use. If she wants to change her last name to yours, then that's what she should put on her AOS, EAD and AP applications. She can have the name on her SS record changed once she has her EAD or green card.

Changing her name on the passport is also optional as I've seen posts of people travelling on a maiden name passport + a married name AP or green card. They just make sure to bring a copy of the marriage certificate with them.

Good luck on your wife's AOS!

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My plan is to wait until after my interview to contact my consulate and find out how I can change my name. But like others said put the name she wants to use first and later on in the papers it asks for her maiden name so they will know who she is knowing that she came in on K-1 visa.

Good luck,

Kristina

Feb 25, 2006... Submitted I-129F

Jan 4, 2007... Interview date Visa in Passport

Jan 30,2007... POE Blaine Washington, Pacific Truck Crossing

March 8, 2007... Mailed AOS and EAD

May 21, 2007... AOS application APPROVED with interview (Day 67)WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO

May 29, 2007... GREEN CARD ARRIVES.. and email from CRIS approval notice sent (Day 75)

Sept 25, 2008... Moved to the UK

Feb 24, 2009... Mailed I-751 to CSC from UK

December 30, 2009... Approval notice!!

Jan 9, 2010... 10 year GREEN CARD arrives.

May 31, 2012... Express Mailed N-400 application to the Nebraska Service Center for military spouses filing overseas

Jun 11, 2012... NOA date and Cheque cashed Day 11

Jun 28, 2012... Placed in line for interview scheduling Day 28

Jul 20, 2012... Email from USCIS London for info to schedule interview Day 50

Sep 1, 2012... Moved back to the USA

Sep 12, 2012... Email from USCIS London scheduled for interview/oath Sept 28th in the UK(will be day 120)

Nov 26, 2012... Had submitted change of addresses. Notification that I have again been scheduled for interview Day 179

Dec 1, 2012... Letter arrived Day 184 with new interview date Jan 4, 2013 (Will be day 218)

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.