Annlee21

health insurance for k1

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Get married ASAP and add immigrant spouse on one's employer based health insurance plan (does not need to have AOS filed to get coverage). That's what we did.

If that option is not available then you will need to first apply for AOS, and once you get the I-797c (NOA) you can look at the marketplace.

Applicants for any of these statuses qualify to use the Marketplace:

• Temporary Protected Status with Employment Authorization
  • Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
  • Victim of Trafficking Visa
  • Adjustment to LPR Status

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/

If you are trying to get coverage before marriage, filing the AOS, or not be included to the US spouse employer based health plan, then you could look for short term medical coverage but they tend to be crappy policies with many stipulations.

I came with a k1, my husband has Health insurance because of his dad so I couldn't have been added and he started looking for options in the marketplace, we found a really good option but my husband is gonna be with his dad's insurance till November so he got a temporary (3 months) health insurance for me. It's not that expensive, he's paying $58 monthly I think. I have never used it but we wanted to have it just in case. 

This is the name of the place, maybe you can ask there. I dont have AOS yet but I already applied. I don't really know if that's a problem but looks like it worked for us. 

PicsArt_07-12-05.01.06.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Diana & Justin said:

It's not that expensive, he's paying $58 monthly I think.

What does it cover?  What is the deductible?  What are the co-pays?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Diana & Justin said:

I'm not sure, I would have to ask my husband. 

But I found they have these 3 plans 

http://www.ilhealthagents.com/unitedhealthone/short-term-medical/

Thanks. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Probably worth mentioning here is that health insurance plans are regulated (and so offered) at the state level. Even from the same parent insurance company, the offerings will differ from state to state.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, Diana & Justin said:

I came with a k1, my husband has Health insurance because of his dad so I couldn't have been added and he started looking for options in the marketplace, we found a really good option but my husband is gonna be with his dad's insurance till November so he got a temporary (3 months) health insurance for me. It's not that expensive, he's paying $58 monthly I think. I have never used it but we wanted to have it just in case. 

This is the name of the place, maybe you can ask there. I dont have AOS yet but I already applied. I don't really know if that's a problem but looks like it worked for us. 

PicsArt_07-12-05.01.06.png

Wow, I've been looking insurance for my husband because we are in the exact same situation! thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Limited cover not OCare compliant may be better than nothing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

After we got married, my husband put me in his existing health care plan (under his employer). But it is expensive (blue Cross health insurance). If I'm not mistaken from $60 per paycheck it become $180 per paycheck. Around $360 per month for health insurance for both of us. Together with that he added me to the Delta dental (dental insurance) and optical. 

DISCLAIMER: I'm not working with USCIS/NVC and never work with them. All my comment based on my own experience and what I read. 

"When you have a fight with your partner, remember that it is not you against your partner but it is both of you against the problem" :) 

I-129F Sent : 2017-05-12

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:

2017-06-17

2017-11-29 (Date on hard copy) / 2017-11-30 (Date USCIS Website/Online Tracker App)

NVC Received Date:                 2018-01-16

NVC Case No. assigned:         2018-01-16

NVC Left:                                    2018-01-20

Consulate Received:                2018-01-22

Packet 3 Received:                   2018-01-27

Packet 3 Sent:                           2018-01-27

Interview Date:                          2018-03-08

Visa Received:                          2018-03-13

US Entry:                                    2018-03-19

SSN Application:                      2018-04-03

SSN Received:                          2018-05-02

Marriage:                                   2018-05-05

Marriage Certificate

Received:                                   2018-05-15

Change name in SSN:             2018-06-04

AOS, AP & EAD submitted:    2018-07-06

NOA 1 (email):                          2018-07-10

NOA 1 (mail):                            2018-07-16

Biometric app:                          2018-08-09

EAD & AP Received:                2018-xx-xx

AOS Interview:                          2018-09-24 
Approval/Denied:                      Approved 

Green Card Received:             2018-09-29

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Perfect two 💑 said:

After we got married, my husband put me in his existing health care plan (under his employer). But it is expensive (blue Cross health insurance). If I'm not mistaken from $60 per paycheck it become $180 per paycheck. Around $360 per month for health insurance for both of us. Together with that he added me to the Delta dental (dental insurance) and optical. 

What is expensive? The dental?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Not all health insurance is equal.

Before you think you found a deal, you will want to get to look at the plan/deductibles and coverage. It can be confusing but it helps to read up a little. 

For Example: The link posted in this thread: A 10,000 dollar deductible would be a hefty bill for a lot of people to pay before any insurance benefits kicks in and " prescription drug coverage" is a very broad statement with no indications what is coverage and how much of it is covered. 

• Deductibles from $500 to $10,000 per term; after deductible is met we pay 80% of covered expenses up to $20,000, then we pay 100% of covered expenses after that.

We married in three weeks of my husband entering the country and I put him immediately on my health insurance through my work. That is typically the best way to do it, if you have the option. Now that he is employed with benefits, we get to choose which companies insurance plan better fits us. 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

19 hours ago, Umka36 said:

Get married ASAP and add immigrant spouse on one's employer based health insurance plan (does not need to have AOS filed to get coverage). That's what we did.

If that option is not available then you will need to first apply for AOS, and once you get the I-797c (NOA) you can look at the marketplace.

Applicants for any of these statuses qualify to use the Marketplace:

• Temporary Protected Status with Employment Authorization
  • Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
  • Victim of Trafficking Visa
  • Adjustment to LPR Status

https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/

If you are trying to get coverage before marriage, filing the AOS, or not be included to the US spouse employer based health plan, then you could look for short term medical coverage but they tend to be crappy policies with many stipulations.

Just to add to this - I just recently applied for health insurance via the Marketplace before I had my NOA1 and before I had my SSN. You can do this by calling the Marketplace and asking for locations where you can do a manual verification of identity (you can't apply online without SSN at least). You will meet with a counselor for free and once they have checked your identity, you can pick your plan with them. You're covered pretty much immediately, and they will then give you three months to send in the documentation proving your legal status (AOS NOA1), your SSN, and you eligibility for tax credit, if any.

This made me realize I most likely could've applied the day I got here, before I had even applied for AOS, as I did not have to show any immediate proof of legal status in order to apply and be covered. Remember though that the cutoff date is the 15th every month (at least here in NY), so if you apply before the 15th you will be covered from the 1st of the following month. If you apply after the 15th, you will only have coverage from the 1st of the month after the following month.

h

52 minutes ago, Boiler said:

What is expensive? The dental?

My employer provides free dental coverage, but dental doesn't cover all that much. I'm guessing they think it's expense going from $120/month to adding a spouse that now costing $360/month?

I use to pay $50/month when single, now with a full family it's $200. Still cheaper than going without insurance.

16 minutes ago, LizM said:

Just to add to this - I just recently applied for health insurance via the Marketplace before I had my NOA1 and before I had my SSN. You can do this by calling the Marketplace and asking for locations where you can do a manual verification of identity (you can't apply online without SSN at least). You will meet with a counselor for free and once they have checked your identity, you can pick your plan with them. You're covered pretty much immediately, and they will then give you three months to send in the documentation proving your legal status (AOS NOA1), your SSN, and you eligibility for tax credit, if any.

This made me realize I most likely could've applied the day I got here, before I had even applied for AOS, as I did not have to show any immediate proof of legal status in order to apply and be covered. Remember though that the cutoff date is the 15th every month (at least here in NY), so if you apply before the 15th you will be covered from the 1st of the following month. If you apply after the 15th, you will only have coverage from the 1st of the month after the following month.

Kind of dumb in my opinion if that's how it works. Anyone could basically scam the system for 90 days before being dropped when they don't have proof of legal status?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.