AussieTexas

Assistance with Expediting EAD

60 posts in this topic

It sounds like a strong case for an expedite, so I think you're fine there.

I also agree that the 3 week time period is possible, but also far from a guarantee. EAD expedites are pretty backlogged right now from what I've seen. You're looking at close to 2 weeks in just overhead (sending documentation, delivery time of the EAD, etc.) plus the actual time to process the expedite request or adjudicate the application.

Is there a particular reason they will let you go right when the EAD expires? Like...if it takes 4 weeks, would they not be willing to put you back on the books?

Sorry to be a bit blunt, but you really should have applied for the EAD back when you field for AOS. There no good reason not to do so. I'm not sure if it will make a difference at this point, though.

Going through a congressperson isn't a bad idea, although I'm doubtful it would be faster. It will take at least some time to have them acknowledge the request, get permission to act on your case, and make the request. There's no real data to suggest that the request coming from them would be processed faster, so when you're hoping for such a quick turnaround, it may be faster to just do it via a phone call. Tough call.

Good luck.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 7/13/2018 at 1:18 PM, Dee elle said:

I had a very good , quick response and support from Sen Cornyns office and staff .. just last year... go with them IMO. 

Oh well thats reassuring, how long was the turn around for? I rang Carters office on Thursday but I might do Cornyn if he's faster

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

His staff sent the enquiry very soon after I submitted the paperwork to the office.. after that it’s in the govt department court to reply 

Ill do that on Monday then

Timeline

Carters Constituent Services reached out to me this morning, and I detailed to them what the situation is. Ill update as to what they say when I hear back. 

Timeline

So I got the email from USCIS this morning regarding the expedite request when I rang last Thursday, this is what the email said;

Due to the high volume of expedite requests for this case type, we are strictly enforcing the criteria that has been set for these expedite requests. While your situation appears serious, you have not provided evidence of an extreme emergent need. 

Address Changes:  If you move, please provide us with an updated address. For more information about address changes, please visit our Web site at www.uscis.gov/ar-11, and click on "Change Your Address Online."

For More Information: If you do not find the information you need through our online services and need further assistance, you may contact our USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TDD for the hearing impaired).

I see no fax number in the email listed, how do I go about providing evidence I need the expedite?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
14 minutes ago, AussieTexas said:

So I got the email from USCIS this morning regarding the expedite request when I rang last Thursday, this is what the email said;

I see no fax number in the email listed, how do I go about providing evidence I need the expedite?

They are not asking for evidence.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

So what should I do then? It seems a bit odd that they won't let me provide proof to get the expedite? Should I call them back or is this something that I should go through the ombudsman with?

Timeline
On 7/12/2018 at 1:38 PM, george8880 said:

In three to four days, you should expect an email response back from USCIS asking for supporting documents to a specified fax number. Fax all your supporting documents and that email response to the specific fax number. If not, call USCIS again

In the email I got this morning, it didn't have the fax number and stated that I havent provided evidence. How do I go about doing that if they don't give it to me? Is this something I call them back about?

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They accepted your case. But you are not going to work for a nonprofit and need to travel for meetings. Meaning in you are in line but not the top. You wait 5 days then go ask your congressman or senator to nudge them.

Btw did you get that email directly or the congressman office sent it to you?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, AussieTexas said:

In the email I got this morning, it didn't have the fax number and stated that I havent provided evidence. How do I go about doing that if they don't give it to me? Is this something I call them back about?

Yeah, give them a call. Did you miss an email from them? If not, something might've just gone wrong with the first email, so see if you can get them to give you the fax number and "Attn:" line over the phone.

05/16/18: Married to USC

05/24/18: Mailed in AOS package

05/25/18: Priority date

06/07/18: Received NOA in mail

06/09/18: Received Biometrics appointment in mail

06/19/18: Completed Biometrics; submitted request to expedite EAD based on Severe Financial Loss (pending job offer and end of then-current employment)

06/20/18: Submitted case to Congresswoman's office, which submitted an expedite request on their end

06/22/18: Faxed supporting documents per email response from USCIS; submitted case to Ombudsman

06/26/18: Received email response from USCIS that my case is under review

06/29/18: End of then-current employment

07/06/18: EAD approved, and card in production

07/13/18: Received combo card in mail

03/01/19: Received request for initial interview notice

04/09/19: Initial interview; AOS approved

Timeline
1 minute ago, george8880 said:

Yeah, give them a call. Did you miss an email from them? If not, something might've just gone wrong with the first email, so see if you can get them to give you the fax number and "Attn:" line over the phone.

Further...

The process is if you called directly and asked expedite. You get an “ref ID” on the phone. Then case status site, you get 3 updates for the “ref ID”. After the 3rd which is “completed” you get an email or mail to do something. So if you never got a “ref ID” they may have just rejected right away on the phone.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, george8880 said:

No, this is the first email Ive received from USCIS since I called last Thursday. 

8 minutes ago, A&H2018 said:

They accepted your case. But you are not going to work for a nonprofit and need to travel for meetings. Meaning in you are in line but not the top. You wait 5 days then go ask your congressman or senator to nudge them.

Btw did you get that email directly or the congressman office sent it to you?

On Monday I was in contact with my representatives 'constituent services' worker whom, after I detailed to them my situation, asked me to fill out and send them a privacy release form to inquire USCIS on my behalf. Which I did, havent heard back since then.

6 minutes ago, A&H2018 said:

Further...

The process is if you called directly and asked expedite. You get an “ref ID” on the phone. Then case status site, you get 3 updates for the “ref ID”. After the 3rd which is “completed” you get an email or mail to do something. So if you never got a “ref ID” they may have just rejected right away on the phone.

When I called USCIS last week, I did receive a ref ID (begins like T#D#). Are you referring to the case status update tracker on egov.uscis.gov? Because the last update on my I-765 was when they first received it back on 6/1

Timeline

Gotcha thanks. So you have 2 expedites going one via congressman whenever they submit it and your own. When you login to “https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/displayLogon.do “ you have no updates with the ref ID?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, A&H2018 said:

Gotcha thanks. So you have 2 expedites going one via congressman whenever they submit it and your own. When you login to “https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/displayLogon.do “ you have no updates with the ref ID?

I wasn't aware my congressman would actually formally request one, but yes I suppose so then.

So when I login, it shows the last update for my 765 was back on 6/1, but when I actually click on it to view the history, it says the following:

On July 17, 2018, your request to have your case expedited, referral number T#D#############, was assigned to an officer for response.

On July 18, 2018, we sent a response to your request to have your case expedited, referral number T#D#############,.

On July 18, 2018, your request to have your case expedited, referral number T#D#############,, was completed.

Does this mean its been denied? Before I was even able to provide evidence??

Edited by AussieTexas

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.