Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,479 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Paul--thanks for the quick response. Do you know 100% this to be the case? Or is it worth looking into?

The meeting will be in London 100% you can't change that but you can change interview date given but you risk getting the approval delayed so my advice is take the date they give you. Plus your medical has a expiry date !!!

Paul

Edited by pmarshall

Filed: Timeline

Paul--

you seem very knowledgeable. Thanks again. We currently live in Budapest, but are leaving in 3 weeks. We understand that we will be able to have the interview in London--not Budapest.

Are we right about this? She is a UK citizen.

Another question, if you don't mind. What is the usual turn around time once the I-129 is accepted for an actual interview to be set up? I am under the impression that indeed is the next step, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Timeline

Paul--

you seem very knowledgeable. Thanks again. We currently live in Budapest, but are leaving in 3 weeks. We understand that we will be able to have the interview in London--not Budapest.

Are we right about this? She is a UK citizen.

Another question, if you don't mind. What is the usual turn around time once the I-129 is accepted for an actual interview to be set up? I am under the impression that indeed is the next step, correct?

Thanks in advance.

If the beneficiary is a UK citizen then the interview will be in there home country.

As for the times my case is unusual as we sent petition and got visa all in 104 days so I couldn't say time scales.

Paul

Timeline

YES, YOU CAN VISIT:

I just wanted to share with the forum my experience of coming to visit my fiancée. I was freaking out like hell for weeks, having read all sorts of nightmare stories about being asked to turn back and go home by the immigration officials. I did follow the usual advice here that you should come prepared, belt and braces - so I got all sorts of documents I could manage to get to prove my ties with my home country. BUT -- and I am hoping this will give some reassurance to people -- I AM NOT WORKING AT THE MOMENT, SO I DON'T have an employer letter to show that I will return. All I had was my rental lease, which expires in September and my bank statements, plus a couple of utility bills. I planned my visit to be 2.5 months.

At the airport, the guy asked me what I was here for -- I said, to visit my fiancé.

When was I returning? -- XX of August.

That's all. No questions asked. No evidence of ties to the home country. Nothing.

Further reassurance: I am not a UK national - i.e., I am here on a B2/Visitor visa.

So, if you were wondering if it was possible to visit your fiancé during this long and horrible separation that K1 visa is, then yes, YOU CAN. And it is not nearly as harrowing and horrible an experience as we fear it is.

12 May 2014: Mailed 129F packet to Dallas lockbox

21 May 2014: NOA1 from TSC

18 Sep 2014: NOA2

23 Sep 2014: Case sent to NVC

30 Sep 2014: NVC received + case number generated

06 Oct 2014: Left NVC

08 Oct 2014: Medical exam

09 Oct 2014: Case reached embassy in London

09 Oct 2014: DS-160 and Applicant Readiness form submitted

21 Oct 2014: Interview letter received

29 Oct 2014: Interview --> Approved!

07 Nov 2014: Visa in hand

08 Nov 2014: LHR --> BOS [Finally!!]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, was I ever surprised when I came back to Canada after 3 and a half months. They grilled me as to why I hadn't brought any purchases with me (I'm just back in Canada for my medical and interview), hadn't brought any gifts with me. Accused me of not declaring my engagement ring on last trip, and THEN searched my vehicle. I had an oil change and alignment done while there and were peeved I didn't realise I needed to claim that. All this with my dog who just had her eyes removed- and I'd been driving 22 hours at this point. The guard also wanted to know if I also had all my papers in order for my interview (this is Canadian officer, what the heck business is it of hers!), and why isn't my fiancé with me, where is he and what is he doing there. They were neat with my stuff though, and didn't even look into the dog's bag of prescription meds. Then "you can go now" , no welcome home or anything. Maybe fallout from the full moon on Friday the 13th??

Timeline

Just to let you know of my experience.

I flew from the UK on Saturday into Newark, for a 2 week visit to my fiancé.

Very brief interview at the desk, not taken to secondary.

She asked why I was here and for how long. I replied 2 weeks and to see my fiancé.

She asked if he lived here, then clarified that I reside in the UK.

She asked who was going to move. And I said I was, and explained we had filed a petition for a K1.

She said, "so you are moving here?"

I replied "yes, if it's approved".

She replied, "of course it will be, why not? Have a nice stay".

Stamped my passport, and off I went.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, Sharing my experience crossing the border. I flew from Edmonton, Canada to Minneapolis, MN and did customs in Edmonton on July 3 for a 4 day visit.

Where are you headed?

- Minneapolis

What are you doing there?

- Visiting my fiance

Fiance? What are your marriage plans?

- We are in the process of getting a K-1 visa and once we get the visa, I will move there

You better have a return ticket...

- Yes

When are you returning?

- July 6

What are you bringing with you for food?

- All dressed chips, Canadian chocolate bars

Is this all you packed? (referring to my one small back pack and purse)

- Yes

Nothing checked?

- No

What does your family think of all this?

- umm... I don't know, they understand, but hope I will come back to Canada one day

I'm going to check something with a senior officer (might have said supervisor.. I can't remember)

- ok......

How many days are you staying in the United States?

- uhh.... 4? 3 1/2 I guess?

Have a good trip

Normally I am just asked about food and where I am going, so this was a lot more questions.. I guess I passed their test. They did not ask to see anything, but in case anyone is interested, I brought:

- Itinerary with return trip

- Parking confirmation at the airport

- My visa approvals (NOA1, NOA2, NVC, Packet 3)

- Email from my boss approving my time off

- Work ID and business card

- Copies of my renter and auto insurance

Overall it was nice and easy crossing the border, but I am glad I brought my proof of ties!

--------------------------

K-1 Visa Timeline

--------------------------

04/21/2014: Submitted I-129F

05/29/2014: NOA2 via email

01/20/2015: Visa Received

03/15/2015: POE

04/01/2015: Married!! (L)

04/11/2015: Submitted AOS / EAD / AP

10/09/2015: Green Card Approved

07/20/2017: Submitted I-751 ROC

07/27/2017: NOA1 Received

10/14/2017: Biometrics Waived

10/27/2018: ROC Approved

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

So I have a trip planned to visit my fiance for 3.5 months starting August. My worry is that I'm in the NVC stage, as I just received my first letter from them.

You don't suppose that'll cause any issues? I was hoping to just get my interview set for when I return after mid November.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Hey guys,

So I have a trip planned to visit my fiance for 3.5 months starting August. My worry is that I'm in the NVC stage, as I just received my first letter from them.

You don't suppose that'll cause any issues? I was hoping to just get my interview set for when I return after mid November.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I never had any issues visiting the US throughout the K1 process (went 4times). Be sure to bring ties back to Canada just in case and k1 documentation if you have it - if anything it shows you are doing everything the legal way. I never got asked anything about it and had no issues crossing the border, but it can be pretty random. Make sure you have a return ticket as well.

Thanks everyone for your insights and stories!

I have a similar question be reversed... I am a US citizen. Can I visit my fiancee in Thailand while we are waiting for our K1 visa? Can I visit for a long time? Like say, until the visa is approved?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your insights and stories!

I have a similar question be reversed... I am a US citizen. Can I visit my fiancee in Thailand while we are waiting for our K1 visa? Can I visit for a long time? Like say, until the visa is approved?

Not only can you but you should. Closeness makes you closer.

Hi everyone! My fiancé just came to visit today from South Africa through JFK, NY and I wanted to share our experience! We are currently (anxiously) waiting for approval :)! He came prepared with tons of documents showing ties to home and a return a flight and this is what followed when he walked up to the border patrol officer

Agent: hello is this visit for business or pleasure?

Fiancé: pleasure

Agent: how long will you be staying?

Fiancé: 3 weeks

Agent: *stamp* have a good day

Then he processed to get his luggage and handed over his declarations form to a second officer

Officer: do you have anything to declare what will you be doing in NY?

Fiancé: I'll be staying with my fiancée

Officer: will you get married?

Fiancé: when the visa is approved

Officer: good luck I heard that takes a while. Welcome to New York!

Literally the easiest thing about this entire process so far! Come prepared but stay calm. I am so happy I get 3 whole weeks with him!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So my fiancee' was denied a tourist Visa from the Philippines (just like most). Is there any way that the K-1 being in process plus a passport will qualify to get her thru to come to the U.S. to visit?

I'm assuming you have to have a passport AND a Visa??

We are only in the NOA1 stage waiting on NOA2.

I (Todd) am the petitioner from the U.S. / Beth is in/from Philippines :thumbs:

---------------VISA JOURNEY---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6-30-2014: Mailed I129F Packet to Dallas Lockbox......... H e e e r e WE g o o o o o!! (L):wub::dance:

7-08-2014: Received email confirmation & text of application packet receipt and case #. Texas Service Center.

7-11-2014: Received actual letter confirmation of receipt and case #.

7-11-2014: Received email notification of Alien registration # being changed.

7-31-2014: Received text/email of I129F approval (Post Decision Activity) yes, we were processed at TSC!

8-04-2014: Received hard copy NOA2 in mail confirming approved and sent to NVC.

8-05-2014: Received text/email and USCIS status update. 2nd half of Post Decision Activity - Sent to DOS for processing.

8-13-2014: NVC assigned case/MNL# !!!

8-15 -2014: Interview scheduled.....August 28!

8-15 -2014: CEAC status: IN TRANSIT to Consular Section.

8-18-2014: CEAC status changed to "READY"

8-18-2014: Shots completed 2nd day. Medical complete. received a CD, papers, and passport

8-19-2014: Completed CFO seminar (Will return to CFO office to get sticker after Visa is in hand)

8-25-2014: Received hard copy of NVC case # assignment and fwd to consulate letter in mail.

8-28-2014: 1:00 am my time...........Interview done.........APPROVED !!! :dancing:(L):wow::wub::thumbs:

9-02-2014: Administrative Processing

9-04-2014: Issued

9-07-2014: Text msg from 2GO, Visa ready for pickup

9-08-2014: Visa in hand, CFO sticker obtained

--------AOS JOURNEY-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-05-2014: AOS Package at Chicago Lockbox received per U.S. mail tracking

12-19-2014: Received texts/emails that file has been accepted and routed. (All three...485, 131,765)

12-26-2014: Received Biometrics appointment notice. Scheduled 1-7-2015.

12-27-2014: Received NOA1 / I-797C in mail for all three applications.

01-07-2014: Biometrics completed in Fort Smith, AR. .. went in early, they took us no problem. Took maybe 10 minutes.

02-10-2015: Received text and emails notification of approved EAD and AP. Status changed to reflect approval.

02-17-2-15: Received NOA I-797 letter only.....for Advanced Parole in mail.

02-21-2015: Received EAD/AP combo card in mail today.

03-19-2015: Received the "Notice of Potential Interview Case" letter in mail today.

06-03-2015: Requested to expedite due to potential loss of funds if vacation had to be cancelled due to non acceptable travel docs to Mexico.

06-05-205: Response denying expedite. Stated while sounded important, only cases strictly adhering to the "qualification" to expedite are granted such process.

08-11-2015: Sent "out of processing time" inquiry

08-12-2015: Received generic response stating that due to workload factors USCIS anticipates a delay in completing your case."

08-15-2015: (Saturday@8am) received email stating a recent processing action has taken place on our case. Status:Card/Document Production

"We ordered your new card for MSCxxxxxxxx, and will mail it. You can expect your card within 30 days of approval of your application.

8-12-2015: Online status changed to "NEW CARD IS BEING PRODUCED" . Couple days later, received hard copy of notice.

8-31-2015: Received text notifying that "We mailed your new card"

9-01-2015: Received GREEN CARD!! 275 days from date of mailing/filing AOS.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think there's more weight on where you are coming from (Country).

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post removed as poster has started a thread for the question~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.