Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,479 posts in this topic

England!

You need to be in possession of a valid ESTA, this can be done at any point prior to travel, most are authorised in minutes but some can take a few days. Once you have one it's valid for 2 years unless any of your answers change. Hope this helps :)

You need to be in possession of a valid ESTA, this can be done at any point prior to travel, most are authorised in minutes but some can take a few days. Once you have one it's valid for 2 years unless any of your answers change. Hope this helps :)

Thanks Gail! I thought as much but I wanted to be sure as I didnt know if my current visa process would make a difference!

Thanks Gail! I thought as much but I wanted to be sure as I didnt know if my current visa process would make a difference!

From what I've read in other posts by people that have visited using the visa waiver programme there's never been any mention of anything else being required other than proof of ties to your home country. I know it can be nerve wrecking, I've booked to visit my fiancé in November and I'm hoping I won't have any problems visiting either. Good luck with the rest of your visa journey :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

i just got my NOA2 approved last week. im thinkking its going to be a minimum 8 more weeks before i have my interview and can move a few days after...

i want to make a short 2 week trip in about 3 weeks time. (im the beneficiary, going to Houston)

should i be ok on my ESTA ? its just a bit of a weird situation because i now have my A number (printed on NOA2)

am i likely to have problems? or will i just be asked a few questions and aslong as i answer truthfully i should be ok ? Everything here is legit, obviously i am going to return to UK so i can have my interview, then pack the bags again and fly out on a one way.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts

I-129f sent 01/31/12

Received in Dallas sent to Vermont 02/03/12

NOA1 notice date 02/03/12

Touched 02/11/12

NOA 2 07/25/12

NVC Receive 08/01/12

NVC left 08/03/12

Consulate received 08/06/12

Medical 08/08/12

sent packet 3 docs 08/10/12 (yes i have sent before packet 3 letter received, called embassy who confirmed they have me in system as of today)

Interview scheduled 09/13/12

APPROVED!

POE 09/26/12

Wedding booked for 10/08/12

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

A few days ago I entered the U.S. to visit my wonderful fiancée.

We had applied for a K-1 visa at the end of February. The NOA2 had arrived shortly before I got on the plane to get here.

To prove my ties to my European home country, I had compiled a package containing:

• our original I-129F application in its entirety
  • a tabular overview of my visits to the U.S. in recent years
  • copies of the NOA1 and NOA2
  • my car papers
  • a print-out of a recent bank statement

The latter conveniently includes the annual vehicle tax payment, so the very least tie to my home country I could provide is that I still own my car. :)

The key part of my conversation with the immigration officer went like this:

IO: "What are you here for?"

Me: "To visit my fiancée."

"OK. When will you get married?"

"Probably in December. We've applied for a K-1 and recently received the 2nd Notice of Action."

"Do you know that you can adjust your status while you're in the U.S.?"

I was taken aback by this question, because I knew that an AOS during this stay would be a violation of visa regulations. Hence …

Me: "Excuse me?"

"Do you know that you can file for adjustment of status while you're in the U.S.?"

"I do, but then I would run the risk of being deported, and I am not going to screw this one up!"

That's literally what I said.

The faintest hint of a smile on the immigration officers' still-stern face, and the subtlest nod of approval told me that that was the kind of answer he wanted to hear.

IO: "Four fingers of your right hand, please."

With my hand on the fingerprint scanner, I said …

"We've been doing this very-long-distance relationship thing…"

"Right thumb."

"… for almost five years now, and …"

"Left hand."

"… I am really not going to screw this one up!"

"Left thumb. — Look at the camera."

Two familiar questions — "What does your fiancée do? How did you meet?" — closed off the interview. After he had confirmed my planned departure date one more time, the officer gave me a full 90-day WT "visa".

Judging from other people's stories on the VisaJourney forums, the experience at immigration can differ quite a bit, and all I can contribute is this little anecdote. That said, here's what I would suggest you keep in mind if you intend to visit your fiancé(e) while your K-1 is still being processed.

Be open and up-front about your K-1 application

I got the feeling that, once the IO knew about the pending K-1 visa application, he understood that I was serious about legally entering the U.S. In fact, I had the impression that this interview was considerably less pushy and disconcerting than what I had usually gone through before we had applied for the visa.

Know your rights and obligations regarding your visit

By pointing out that I was aware of what could happen if I filed for an AOS now, I could demonstrate to the IO that I am familiar with applicable visa regulations and know how -- and more importantly, why -- not to violate them.

Bring documents showing ties to your home country, plus the entire I-129F package

Even though the IO did not look at them at all, I found it comforting to know that I had a solid set of documents with me that would prove that, again, I was serious about entering the U.S. legally, and that I had good reason to return home one more time.

If things go according to our plan, this will have been the last time I visited the U.S. of A. as a tourist, and I can't wait to start using Immigration's "Citizens & Permanent Residents" lane in the not-so-distant future. ;)

May your own visits go smoothly, as well!

Hi guys my name is maria i'm from dominican republic and my boyfriend started the process on february and we haven't received the NOA2... we are a little desperate....who started the process around that date?

February 23, 2012- I-129F Sent
February 29, 2012- NOA 1 Received
September 05, 2012- NOA2 APPROVED!!!!!
September 10, 2012-NOA2 Hard copy Received
September 12, 2012-NVC Case number assigned
September 17 , 2012-NVC sent file to Consulate
September 24 , 2012-Consulate Received Packet 3
November 08, 2012- INTERVIEW DAY APPROVED!!!!!

November 21, 2012- Arrived to NY.

December 24,2012- Wedding

February 08,2013-AOS sent

March 18,2013- Fingerprints

April 13,2013-Employment Authorization Card Received

May 20,2013- Interview letter

June 25,2013 - INTERVIEW DAY FOR THE GC- APPROVED

STILL WAITING FOR THE GC.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Maria, what is your service center?

Petition sent : 03/09/2012

NOA 1 : 03/19/2012

Noa 2 : 09/26/2012

Interview date : 02/05/2013

Philadelphia POE : 03/19/2013

AOS package sent : 05/23/2013

NOA1 : 06/01/2013

Biometrics : 06/27/2013

RFE for Federal income tax (sent tax returns in the first place) : 07/10/2013

I-485 testing and review : 08/07/2013

EADP/AP approved : 08/07/2013

EAD/AP card received : 08/16/2013
I-485 interview : 09/13/2013 : APPROVED! :)

Maria, what is your service center?

i think is vermont

February 23, 2012- I-129F Sent
February 29, 2012- NOA 1 Received
September 05, 2012- NOA2 APPROVED!!!!!
September 10, 2012-NOA2 Hard copy Received
September 12, 2012-NVC Case number assigned
September 17 , 2012-NVC sent file to Consulate
September 24 , 2012-Consulate Received Packet 3
November 08, 2012- INTERVIEW DAY APPROVED!!!!!

November 21, 2012- Arrived to NY.

December 24,2012- Wedding

February 08,2013-AOS sent

March 18,2013- Fingerprints

April 13,2013-Employment Authorization Card Received

May 20,2013- Interview letter

June 25,2013 - INTERVIEW DAY FOR THE GC- APPROVED

STILL WAITING FOR THE GC.

Timeline

You can have an estimated time about when you may get NOA2 if you file your timeline.

Also vermont has been very slow for months

• 2 weeks later...

HI EVERY ONE

BUY HIGH QUALITY FAKE PASSPORTS ONLINE

We are the real thing for you and what you need. We offer BEST quality documents: passports, driver's licenses, ID cards, stamps Visa, school Diplomas and other documents for the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, UK, USA This list is not complete yet.

We use latest technology.UV light and bend tested to pass security holograms, holographic overlays, microtext.

We include replica holograms custom to each state template.

email: sergemens8@gmail.com

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

hi all! Thank you for sharing your stories. Definitely help calm my jitters a lil bit.

I'm planning to visit in Nov and leave in May due to special occasions (thanksgiving, Christmas, birthday etc) then my husband is moving to another state in Feb, so I'd like to be there to help him pack. We are also planning to buy a house so we're going to spend some time during my visit to go look at them.

Do you think staying for 5-6 months will be allowed? I am a freelancer so I don't really work for anyone per se, and I live with my parents. I do have a tourist visa which is valid for 6 months each stay.

Thanks, hope to hear your feedback soon.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just to let others there know, I have visited the US twice this year - both being 90 day visiting periods.

My first trip was from Jan 1st till the 29th March, I had no problems with Immigration as I said I was on holidays visiting my then boyfriend (now fiancé, and we applied for the I-129F while I was over there at the end of February).

I returned to Australia for 5 weeks, then went back again from the 5th of May till the 2nd August, my POE was in LA; and I must say I did get a bit of a drilling for my next long trip.. I was accused of trying to live there.. but I had a copy of my I-129F and stated that I was simply trying to visit my fiancé, the immigration officer asked me about what I did for work, how I was able to afford to have my now second long holiday in the US (I told her I was on leave of absence and I had savings and was willing to show printed bank statements which she didn't want to see) then asked what my fiancé did for work.. I was getting very nervous as it felt like forever and I was starting to think I was going to be denied.. but I think after seeing that I wasn't intending on living there (I had to show my itinerary for my return ticket) she told me that it wasn't advisable to stay exactly 90 days.. and that I should contact the airlines and leave a day or two earlier. (I stayed till the 90th day, lol).

After scanning my fingerprints and taking my picture, she stamped my passport (and put my departure date on there.. which was the 90th day, hehe) to remind me that I had to leave.. which I did!

It is a bit nerve racking but make sure you're honest - any proof of ties to home that you have is better!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Just want to share our experience. Today my fiance flew in from Uruguay to Miami International Airport, and he got in, thank God!!! I was so worried because he got there at 5:30AM and he doesn't have a cell phone or a way of contacting me, so I was waiting at the airport from 5:30 till 8:00AM...I really thought he was going to be sent back, but in the last second I saw him walking out and I got so happy!

His interview went like this:

Officer: Is this your first time in USA?

Fiance: No, I came once before in January 2011 and I stayed 3 months.

Officer: Is there anyone else with you?

Fiance: No, just me

Officer: During your past visits did someone come with you?

Fiance: Yes my parents and sister

Officer: What are your reasons for this visit?

Fiance: To visit my girlfriend and her family.

Officer: When are you leaving?

Fiance: 11th of November

Officer: What do you do for a living?

Fiance: I just finished my studies and right now I'm not doing anything

Officer: What does your GF do for a living?

Fiance: She's a second-year pre-medicine student at [name of my university]

Officer: Have you ever been sent to the interview room before?

Fiance: No, I haven't

Officer: You have the most common name I've ever seen.

Fiance: Yes, I've been told

Officer: Have a nice day, please follow this lady to the room.

[he was sent to the interview room]

Now he was sent to a room with many people where he had to wait forever, and there were many girls crying and asking to speak to their husbands/BFs/family/etc. Also many Brazilians who didn't speak English.

When he was finally called, a lady interviewed him.

She asked him many of the same questions as the first guy, and also asked him if he's engaged. He said yes and told her he is doing the k1 visa process and he showed her his NOA1 and he also showed her a copy of my driver's license which has my address on it and my name and picture. She asked him how much money he's bringing and he answered. She also asked him if he's planning on studying in the USA and he said "Once my K1 application gets accepted I will marry and then apply for AOS and then once I recieve my residency Iwill study here" [i think it was a good and honest answer]. He says there were many more questions but thats all he can remember. It was an extensive interview, but I'm so happy he got in!

Good luck to anyone trying to get in!

Timeline

Waw glad he made it !! :)

That's really stressing.. Going there for one month (september) through Charlottem Douglas. Hope I make it too :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.