Crazy Cat

How much time do you spend on VJ?

34 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, PollyC said:

i come here everyday, trying to help others with my limited knowledge. 

but lately i see there's many unpolite responses or comments by some rude people. i was like... comeon... people post here just trying to get help or advise, why don't you people just be nice... if you don't like/not agree from what they post, just skip to the next topic! 

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but “trying to help” when you don’t really know the subject under discussion and giving wrong information is not actually helpful. At best it confuses the people asking for help and at worst it can actually be harmful to their cases. So it’s not helpful to anyone for those who see you are wrong to “skip to the next topic”, because that just leaves the bad information out there. It is far more helpful to the person asking the question if someone actually corrects wrong information. If you don’t have a reasonable certainty that you can help, it’s usually  better just not to respond, if you do and someone points out you’re wrong, accept and acknowledge the fact and move on. 

There are a number of sections I don’t go near because it’s areas I have no personal knowledge on and i know there are always people on a site like this who do have the knowledge to help, and that’s why I leave those bits up to them (this also puts my 5-6 forums comment above in context).

Too much. I don't always post, but I check for anything interesting several times a day! Maybe once my husband has naturalized it will be less. Maybe not! 😀

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I found this site after submitting my I130.  I was on it probably a few hours a day up until our interview.  After the interview I took a long brake but have been back since my NOIR.  At this point in time I would say it some days it is probably like 4 hours a day 😳 in the (morning with coffee, when I need a break from reading at the office, and in the evening when I am settling down).  Between researching cases similar to mine or trying to help someone else.   Its due in part that Its summer time so I'm a little slower at work (I'm an accountant) and my obsession of getting my husband home.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I spend quite a bit of time on weekdays, not quite as much on weekends.  Even though my wife is done with her journey, I am always willing to share the knowledge and experience.  I tend to go to the new items page to see what is new, browse the forums and spend a bit of time in CHEST.  It’s all fun!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I was going through the whole immigration process, I was on the site all of the time (4-5hrs) a day. Now that I'm a US citizen, I'm on here maybe once a week and that is usually to discuss the train wreck known as 90 Day Fiancee.

Sometimes I will pop into the Canadian forum to see what is happening even though I can't offer any advice about the K1 visa anymore since it seems like the filing process may have changed a bit. I do comment on NEXUS quite a bit though since I travel back and forth to Canada fairly frequently.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I *thought* I would spend less time on here after getting my citizenship.  And I think I took like a one week break after my oath....I returned to the forums because I wanted to continue to help others, and I like the overall vibe here as it's also become a social thing for me as well since I keep mostly to myself in "real life".

Reading VJ is how I spend my mornings with my coffee, and I check the forums a few times each day.   I'm leaving for Canada in a couple of days, so that'll be another "break" from the forums while I'm on vacation.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/6/2018 at 7:50 AM, Going through said:

I *thought* I would spend less time on here after getting my citizenship.  And I think I took like a one week break after my oath....I returned to the forums because I wanted to continue to help others, and I like the overall vibe here as it's also become a social thing for me as well since I keep mostly to myself in "real life".

Reading VJ is how I spend my mornings with my coffee, and I check the forums a few times each day.   I'm leaving for Canada in a couple of days, so that'll be another "break" from the forums while I'm on vacation.

You have been bitten by the VJ bug lol

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I don't spend that much time lately and it is usually a quick pop in while I'm feeding the baby just to see if there are any new posts on threads I've posted in.  Once a day I take a look at the popular posts, see if there is anything juicy....

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am super new here, but I am rather curious about this. I see non-trivial number of people who are presume are not in fact immigration lawyers by trade hanging out and posting prolifically seemingly YEARS after their own timelines concluded. I find it somewhat surprising. There also seems to be a lot of hidden inside knowledge, like about these "scans" and possibly other topics I haven't spotted. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/24/2018 at 9:16 PM, Shiran said:

I am super new here, but I am rather curious about this. I see non-trivial number of people who are presume are not in fact immigration lawyers by trade hanging out and posting prolifically seemingly YEARS after their own timelines concluded. I find it somewhat surprising. There also seems to be a lot of hidden inside knowledge, like about these "scans" and possibly other topics I haven't spotted. 

They are just addicted to this website lol

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

On 8/24/2018 at 6:16 PM, Shiran said:

The scans were a tool we were able to use via an app (not officially connected to USCIS at all), to plug in WAC numbers and see approvals, denials, RFEs etc.  The data was pulled from the "old" USCIS website, which did not require passwords at all, but just a valid WAC number.  As USCIS has transitioned away from that old website, there is now no way to collect actual USCIS data.  I would say the scans became altogether defunct in late June or so.  All we have now is self-reported here on VJ.

In terms of the wealth of knowledge here, I speculate that since immigration can be such a long, drawn out process, many of us fill up the time apart from our SOs by reading up a storm.  Personally, I have read every single 129-F administrative decision (appeals) from 2013-2018 (on USCIS site, under "legal resources.")   LOL.   I find it useful in understanding how USCIS works, particularly how they evaluate the *totality* of a case.  

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am a visa journey member since 2005 and   I spend  every day 1 hour  answering questions on the VAWA thread and sometimes in other threads as well,but I dedicate 12/15 hours per week (Mon/Sat) reviewing VAWA petitions for visa journey members ,free of charge.