World Traveller

Petition rejected based on Age of the beneficiary

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Please re-read my post before quoting it. I never said it was the main reason; I said it could be the reason for denial, a qualification worth noting due to the potential for becoming a public charge. 

Having been on VJ for a while, I know for a fact being deaf is not a reason for denial. That could be discrimination (if there were no context). 

You're contradicting yourself.

A deaf person would not become a public charge. There's not much you can do for deaf people, especially at his age.

Edited by Unidentified

Not really

But back to OP..

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Timeline
3 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Not really

But back to OP..

Yes, you were. First, you said you can get denied as deaf and then in the next sentence you say you can't. 

But sure, back to the OP and let's discuss the real reason for the denial. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I for one am fascinated to know the plans the OP has to fund this, an increasingly common question on this forum.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yeah it wold be interesting to know how many people a year start to look into bringing their parents over here, look at medical costs and realize they won't be able to do it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My first thought on such matters would be how to fund it, how can you live here and not know the issues?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

My first thought on such matters would be how to fund it, how can you live here and not know the issues?

Maybe they are getting health coverage through their spouse's health insurance and can't really grasp how expensive it is because they're not the ones actually paying for it? I don't know. 

Filed: Timeline
32 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

Seems some are getting it through ACA for minimal cost by claiming the PTC (premium tax credit), there's a thread on it.

I would not count on Obamacare (ACA) being available in the future when Trump is slowing dismantling it.  Health care costs for the elderly will skyrocket.

Most people fail to consider the cost of medical care for elderly parents until after they have filed and then get confronted with the high cost.  For the OP, that happened at dad's visa interview.  How often have we seen this on VJ?  People who are so excited about mom and dad immigrating to the US that they file before researching how to overcome being labeled a likely public charge.   How often do we bring this up and people get offended?  

People think that dad and mom can get Social Security and Medicare.  They have no idea that mom and dad have to work and contribute to the system before they can benefit from it. 

I’m pretty sure it’s the age more than the deafness that’s the concern re public charge issue. 

certainly implies it’s valid to keep warning people about potential problems sponsoring elderly parents.  

Filed: Timeline
20 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

I would not count on Obamacare (ACA) being available in the future when Trump is slowing dismantling it.  Health care costs for the elderly will skyrocket.

Most people fail to consider the cost of medical care for elderly parents until after they have filed and then get confronted with the high cost.  For the OP, that happened at dad's visa interview.  How often have we seen this on VJ?  People who are so excited about mom and dad immigrating to the US that they file before researching how to overcome being labeled a likely public charge.   How often do we bring this up and people get offended?  

People think that dad and mom can get Social Security and Medicare.  They have no idea that mom and dad have to work and contribute to the system before they can benefit from it. 

Fully agree.

If health care costs for elderly immigrants is being discussed on forums, pretty sure COs at embassies realize medical cost is an issue that ought to be addressed at the visa interview, before an immigrant sets foot on US soil. 

Makes total sense for COs to ensure USC petitioners are fully financially responsible for family members they're helping immigrate, and not be a public charge. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

3 hours ago, Unidentified said:

Maybe they are getting health coverage through their spouse's health insurance and can't really grasp how expensive it is because they're not the ones actually paying for it? I don't know. 

I think this is a very valid point. When we arrived we didn’t have employment and went private on medical insurance for a few months -  and we are now (through an employer) getting a higher level of coverage for I think literally about a fifth of what we paid when we private. It’s insanely expensive when you don’t have employer subsidies.

2 hours ago, Jojo92122 said:

On first point ageee 100% and you know what, the more people that use the system for cheap insurance for new immigrants, the more likely it is that they go after this angle. The rules for what counts as public charge are changing already to undermine things like this.

on second point I think also correct, probably a combination of people being used to state systems elsewhere and most Americans end up automatically ending qualifying through their normal working lives so they don’t have to really think about it.

1 hour ago, WeGuyGal said:

If health care costs for elderly immigrants is being discussed on forums, pretty sure COs at embassies realize medical cost is an issue that ought to be addressed at the visa interview, before an immigrant sets foot on US soil. 

Makes total sense for COs to ensure USC petitioners are fully financially responsible for family members they're helping immigrate, and not be a public charge. 

Agree absolutely, I’m actually surprised we don’t see more reports of it.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for the detail responses for everyone. I appreciate all of you taking efforts. 

Here is what I am doing now. 

I am getting quotes from different Medical Insurance Companies. Plus, I am preparing a detail letter explaining my assets, my parents assets and my brother's assets who is also a US citizen. Our combined assets will cover the medical expenses multifold. I think my assets plus my parents assets will suffice, but thought my brothers assets could be ice on cake. Plus, My wife is RN so We are sending her certificates as well. That will cover long term care angle of this case. Also, We are hiring a lawyer who will draft a response and also give us few more tips. That is something additional cost we will bear. but, we thought it is good to have a second opinion. 

Now Let's see how it goes In next couple of weeks. I will keep you all posted.

WT

Timeline
8 hours ago, World Traveller said:

Thanks for the detail responses for everyone. I appreciate all of you taking efforts. 

Here is what I am doing now. 

I am getting quotes from different Medical Insurance Companies. Plus, I am preparing a detail letter explaining my assets, my parents assets and my brother's assets who is also a US citizen. Our combined assets will cover the medical expenses multifold. I think my assets plus my parents assets will suffice, but thought my brothers assets could be ice on cake. Plus, My wife is RN so We are sending her certificates as well. That will cover long term care angle of this case. Also, We are hiring a lawyer who will draft a response and also give us few more tips. That is something additional cost we will bear. but, we thought it is good to have a second opinion. 

Now Let's see how it goes In next couple of weeks. I will keep you all posted.

WT

Thank you for keeping us updated and glad you are gathering all the information. I hope everything goes well!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.