World Traveller

Petition rejected based on Age of the beneficiary

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I am a US citizen. I had filed Permanent Residency petition for my parents. My father is 81 and my mother is 72. They had an interview last week. My mother got approved but my father got rejected. Meaning. They asked us to give them 3 things for them to reconsider his case. 1. Long term Medical Insurance quote that will cover him in US 2. A written statement from sponsor that he/she will cover all medical expenses of the beneficiary 3. Evidance of the ability to pay such medical insurance premium and medical cost.

I had submitted all my financial document along with I864. I am way above the poverty limit. I am not sure why they need more information. Has anyone faced this situation? How did you handle it? Should we hire an immigration lawyer? Is it worth it? What kind of additional information to be sent? My Brother is also a US Citizen. But he didn't co-sponsor since I was above the poverty limit. Should We include his financial documents when we reply?

Any information will be very helpful? more the better. Thanks in advance

S

6 minutes ago, World Traveller said:

I am a US citizen. I had filed Permanent Residency petition for my parents. My father is 81 and my mother is 72. They had an interview last week. My mother got approved but my father got rejected. Meaning. They asked us to give them 3 things for them to reconsider his case. 1. Long term Medical Insurance quote that will cover him in US 2. A written statement from sponsor that he/she will cover all medical expenses of the beneficiary 3. Evidance of the ability to pay such medical insurance premium and medical cost.

I had submitted all my financial document along with I864. I am way above the poverty limit. I am not sure why they need more information. Has anyone faced this situation? How did you handle it? Should we hire an immigration lawyer? Is it worth it? What kind of additional information to be sent? My Brother is also a US Citizen. But he didn't co-sponsor since I was above the poverty limit. Should We include his financial documents when we reply?

Any information will be very helpful? more the better. Thanks in advance

Easy.. you know exactly what they asked for, give them exactly what they asked for. 

US medical costs are not exactly cheap. There have been recent instances of elderly immigrants applying for US taxpayer-funded as soon as they reach the US. This is to protect against that. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

You will need to contact several insurance companies and obtain quotes for medical insurance for your father, in writing. Then you will need to prove you have sufficient income above the poverty level to pay the premiums and any deductible the insurance has. A written statement that you will pay for all medical expenses your father incurs beyond what the insurance covers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hiring an attorney will achieve nothing.  You would still be required to submit what they want. As others have said, medical care and medical insurance are expensive.  It isn't a matter of IF they will need care, but it is a matter of WHEN.......this requirement for documentation serves 2 purposes: (1.)  You are fully aware of the high cost of medical care for your parents, and (2.) You are fully aware that YOU are 100% responsible for the costs involved.

Good Luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My Parents were reasonably comfortable off  but elderly and elderly = medical expenses, health care costs, no way could they afford to move to the US, so being comfortably above the Poverty Line for immigration is pretty meaningless. 

What did they show in the way of their own resources, savings, pensions property they were selling?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

There is nothing an immigration can do to change the decision. You will have to provide the insurance like the CO suggested. Financial documents is not insurance.

We try to advise people who want to bring over elderly parents to research health care cost. A simple slip and fall in a home can cost a person ten's of thousands of dollars in medical bills. It is a genuine concern that your parents don't become a cost to tax payers because they can't afford health care.

Start calling some insurance companies for quotes. It will give you an idea of what you are facing.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

You failed to mention in your opening thread your father is deaf, which could be the reason his visa got rejected. To reconsider, the CO has to be satisfied your father's medical condition would be covered by long-term medical insurance, and he doesn't intend to become a public charge in the US, which happens in some cases with elderly new immigrants. 

I-751 journey

He wasn't denied due to his age. He was denied due to the risk of becoming a public charge due to expected costs associated with his health and/or heath insurance.

You will need to either use a joint sponsor that makes well above the minimum requirements to attempt to show that he will not become a public charge, or you can comply with the request and provide the requested documentation to show that he will not become a public charge.

Also, the petition was not denied. The visa was denied.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
10 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

You failed to mention in your opening thread your father is deaf, which could be the reason his visa got rejected. To reconsider, the CO has to be satisfied your father's medical condition would be covered by long-term medical insurance, and he doesn't intend to become a public charge in the US, which happens in some cases with elderly new immigrants. 

Being deaf is no reason to be denied. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP seems to have disappeared :unsure:

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Agree.  But potential to become a public charge is.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

Agree.  But potential to become a public charge is.

Absolutely, but I was responding to the person who claimed being deaf was the main reason this man got denied. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Absolutely, but I was responding to the person who claimed being deaf was the main reason this man got denied. 

Oh, ok....got it.  You are absolutely correct.

33 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

20 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Please re-read my post before quoting it. I never said it was the main reason; I said it could be the reason for denial, a qualification worth noting due to the potential for becoming a public charge. 

Having been on VJ for a while, I know for a fact being deaf is not a reason for denial. That could be discrimination (if there were no context). 

I-751 journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.