20 posts in this topic

Hello
while on my k1 fiancé visa I was arrested and charged with domestic battery level 1. I was released 12 hours later on an OR. My first court appearance is in July.

My fiancé is not pressing charges but the state that I live in is.

I have since got married to my fiancé and I am out of status. I am curious how this might effect my adjustment of status and I’m very afraid I’ll get deported.

Any advice would be helpful. I am not sure if I should talk to an immigration attorney and or a family law attorney.

Thank you 

Im ashamed and sad about it , I really want to a advice 

Filed: Timeline

You need an attorney versed in criminal law and immigration law.  This is no longer a DIY case.  This is a huge problem for you.  

Be careful.  Many criminal lawyers are unaware of the immigration consequences for their clients.

6 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

You need an attorney versed in criminal law and immigration law.  This is no longer a DIY case.  This is a huge problem for you.  

Be careful.  Many criminal lawyers are unaware of the immigration consequences for their clients.

Thank you so much 

Edited by sadjourney

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is not DIY case---you need a criminal attorney and an immigration attorney----or one who is well-versed in both areas.

As far as your legal status goes---right now it's irrelevant as you can be deported any time (either before or after filing the AOS) for domestic violence crimes.

Pleading down to a lesser charge would be effective.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes, from K1 P&P - As a better suited forum.~~

~~One judgmental post removed, stick to answering the OP's questions.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I'm confused. So you got married after it happened? Is your partner willing to AOS for you or not? If not, then you should get the issue sorted and leave. 

I looked up domestic battery level 1 and, I may be wrong, but it is the most serious case and it can be 20 to 40 years in jail, depending the state in which you are. [It varies a lot by state] So yes, you need a lawyer. Moreover, with the current felony charge, I don't even know if you would be able to AOS, even your partner would support you. 

You should go to some type of support group and therapy. I'd also go to a lawyer and think through all the options. 

Edited by Coco8

2 hours ago, Coco8 said:

I'm confused. So you got married after it happened? Is your partner willing to AOS for you or not? If not, then you should get the issue sorted and leave. 

I looked up domestic battery level 1 and, I may be wrong, but it is the most serious case and it can be 20 to 40 years in jail, depending the state in which you are. [It varies a lot by state] So yes, you need a lawyer. Moreover, with the current felony charge, I don't even know if you would be able to AOS, even your partner would support you. 

You should go to some type of support group and therapy. I'd also go to a lawyer and think through all the options. 

20 to 40 years?  VAWA dictates 24-48 hours minimum if convicted...unless the cw(complaining witness) was beaten severely and bones were broken.  In that case a person could be sentenced to up to a year or rarely longer.  I am guessing we are looking at a misdemeanor here. (The cw married her after the incident)  Hire an attorney and plead out to harassment, assault III or some other low level violation.  If your spouse really doesn't want to prosecute he needs to go in and contact the prosecutor and sign a WITHDRAWAL OF PROSECUTION form.  Unfortunately, because of VAWA this doesn't necessarily end the case but it can convince the prosecutor to offer a plea deal to a lower charge. Good luck and God Bless

7 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

20 to 40 years?  VAWA dictates 24-48 hours minimum if convicted...unless the cw(complaining witness) was beaten severely and bones were broken.  In that case a person could be sentenced to up to a year or rarely longer.  I am guessing we are looking at a misdemeanor here. (The cw married her after the incident)  Hire an attorney and plead out to harassment, assault III or some other low level violation.  If your spouse really doesn't want to prosecute he needs to go in and contact the prosecutor and sign a WITHDRAWAL OF PROSECUTION form.  Unfortunately, because of VAWA this doesn't necessarily end the case but it can convince the prosecutor to offer a plea deal to a lower charge. Good luck and God Bless

OP said 

21 hours ago, sadjourney said:
charged with domestic battery level 1

I googled it an in Indiana it is 20 to 40 years. In other states, I couldn't find that but "level 1" is always the most serious one.

VAWA is a federal law.  I think that in this case what matters is the state criminal law.

9 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

OP said 

I googled it an in Indiana it is 20 to 40 years. In other states, I couldn't find that but "level 1" is always the most serious one.

VAWA is a federal law.  I think that in this case what matters is the state criminal law.

VAWA is federal law, you are correct.  Federal law always supersedes state or local law.  The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is the standard by which domestic violence is handled universally around the country.  Here's the Indiana Law: Domestic battery is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a $5,000 fine. If the defendant commits the domestic battery in the physical presence of a child under the age of 16, or if the defendant has a prior unrelated domestic battery conviction, the new conviction for domestic battery is a Class D felony, which may be punished by up to three years in prison and a $10,000 fine.   I couldn't find any levels such as level 1 of level 2 in their statutes.  I will try to follow-up tomorrow.  Gotta get back to my home now. 

39 minutes ago, David & Zoila said:

.  Unfortunately, because of VAWA this doesn't necessarily end the case but it can convince the prosecutor to offer a plea deal to a lower charge. Good luck and God Bless

It's not unfortunate, it's very good actually, because many victims can't just let go of their abusers. People should be accountable for their crimes against others. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.