Misty1979

A little help on the I-864 please :)

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Line 23: My Current individual annual income is:

So, my question is, how do we determine what the income for this year is expected to be, when the year isnt over yet? Do we basically multiply the hours per payperiod he works, by his wage, then multiply that number by 24 for how many paychecks he receives in a year? (and how do I prove that he does make the amount we claim?)

Also, our joint sponsor receives $400 or so a month from the Department of Defense for disability pay, which I'm told we can also add into line 23. I understand the Consulate may require evidence of the disability pay, so does anyone know what we should use? We can get a photocopy of a letter from the DOD stating he receives disability pay, or we can get bank statements showing the amount being deposited in his account.

The lady on the phone at NVC was not helpful at all (I think she was new,) so I'm hoping someone here will know what to do!

Thanks in advance

Edited by Misty1979

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

Sorry, forgot to include this in the question above, but after adding together the income for this year, and the disability pay, the joint sponsor will meet the requirements according to the poverty lines, but not by much. However, he does own two pieces of land, and also a house. Would it be worth the trouble to get him to have them assessed and included in the assets, or will it be ok that he just makes the income requirements... but not by much?

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline
If it were me I would gather as much infomation as possible better to have all your ducks in a row then to miss out on something, this includes the house as that is a asset. You can never be overly cautious in this process.

Janice

I was afraid someone might say that. I just hate having to put the joint sponsor through more trouble, as I feel like we have asked so much already, but you are probably right.

Still confused on Line 23 if anyone can help me there

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Timeline

Getting ready to pull my hair out. The lady on the phone at NVC had no idea how to answer my question and left me more confused than before I had called :help:

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Filed: Timeline

Misty,

You don't determine what the income for the year is expected to be, you determine what the annualized value of the current level of income is. The calculation you give does that provided that the wage used in the calculation is the current wage. Or simply multiply the current $/hr wage by 2080 if he works a standard 40-hour workweek.

The purpose of a letter from the employer and photocopies or recent pay statements is to document his current wage.

You can add the "joint sponsor" income to the sponsor's income on the I-864 if the "joint sponsor" is a Household Member and the Household Member and the Sponsor jointly execute an I-864A. If the "joint sponsor" is not a Household Member then the "joint sponsor's" income can not be included on the Sponsor's I-864. Surely this "joint sponsor" does not receive this disability income without some form of documentation from the DOD. Government agencies do not give money away without documenting it.

Yodrak

Line 23: My Current individual annual income is:

So, my question is, how do we determine what the income for this year is expected to be, when the year isnt over yet? Do we basically multiply the hours per payperiod he works, by his wage, then multiply that number by 24 for how many paychecks he receives in a year? (and how do I prove that he does make the amount we claim?)

Also, our joint sponsor receives $400 or so a month from the Department of Defense for disability pay, which I'm told we can also add into line 23. I understand the Consulate may require evidence of the disability pay, so does anyone know what we should use? We can get a photocopy of a letter from the DOD stating he receives disability pay, or we can get bank statements showing the amount being deposited in his account.

The lady on the phone at NVC was not helpful at all (I think she was new,) so I'm hoping someone here will know what to do!

Thanks in advance

Timeline

WOW that made alot more sense than the way the lady on the phone attempted to explain it to me, lol. (Maybe you should consider a career with NVC :lol: )

The sponsor is his father, who does not reside with him. I'm assuming that since we are not including his mother's income as the amount used to qualify us, that she does not need to fill out an I-864A ( since she resides with the father.)

Thanks again for clearing all that up for me!!

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Misty,

Since the father does not live with your husband the father in not your husband's Household Member. He will be a Joint Sponsor (I should not have put quotes around the term in my previous post, I apologize for the confusion) and must prepare his own I-864. If he will not be including his wife's income or assets on his I-864 then he and his wife will not need to execute an I-864A.

Yodrak

WOW that made alot more sense than the way the lady on the phone attempted to explain it to me, lol. (Maybe you should consider a career with NVC )

The sponsor is his father, who does not reside with him. I'm assuming that since we are not including his mother's income as the amount used to qualify us, that she does not need to fill out an I-864A ( since she resides with the father.)

Thanks again for clearing all that up for me!!

Timeline

Don't worry, I think any confusion made was on my part for reading it wrong hehe. Sounds pretty straight forward now though, thanks again for your help :)

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Don't worry, I think any confusion made was on my part for reading it wrong hehe. Sounds pretty straight forward now though, thanks again for your help :)

You're getting good information but I have a question that depending on the answer may make things a bit simpler. When you do the calculation to annualize the current income, is it sufficient to exceed 125% of the applicable poverty line? If so, you don't need any other sponsorship.

I mean a full time worker making as little as $10 an hour makes enough money to sponsor their spouse, if it's just the two of them.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

My husband will be under the mark by about $1500, due to having a daughter included and not making a whole lot of money to begin with.

Our joint sponsor will make enough (haven't totalled it all up yet, since I won't know his wage, etc til he gets here today with all his info,) but I'm pretty sure it will just be enough by a thousand or two, judging by his previous years tax returns.

I'm thinking maybe we'll just go ahead and file the form the way it is with NVC, but when it comes time for the interview, we may go ahead and have the house appraised, just to make sure I have more evidence of support incase they ask.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Misty,

It is good to see that you found all your answers. Yes, you determine your annual income based on your current salary or hourly wage.

My husband will be under the mark by about $1500, due to having a daughter included and not making a whole lot of money to begin with.

Our joint sponsor will make enough (haven't totalled it all up yet, since I won't know his wage, etc til he gets here today with all his info,) but I'm pretty sure it will just be enough by a thousand or two, judging by his previous years tax returns.

I'm thinking maybe we'll just go ahead and file the form the way it is with NVC, but when it comes time for the interview, we may go ahead and have the house appraised, just to make sure I have more evidence of support incase they ask.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

pushbrk,

Not necessarily true. Having adequate income (possibly supplemented by assets) is necessary but it is not sufficient. Sustainability of the current income is also a factor to be considered. This is one reason why past income figures are asked for. A spotty previous income history can be a show-stopper, especially if the current income is only marginal. And more than a few recent school graduates who have just started their first jobs have been required to obtain a Joint Sponsor or involve a Household Member.

Yodrak

You're getting good information but I have a question that depending on the answer may make things a bit simpler. When you do the calculation to annualize the current income, is it sufficient to exceed 125% of the applicable poverty line? If so, you don't need any other sponsorship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.