angry

Had an injury, no insurace, went to the ER. I'm an AOS applicant

24 posts in this topic

I figured this might be the best place to post this. I've submitted my AOS and I'm waiting for the interview. Me and my wife weren't insured, we decided we can wait until I get the job since money is tight.

So this happened yesterday, who would've imagined but I cut my chest open falling with my bicycle and needed stitches. They gave us Financial Assistance paperwork but that doesn't mean I'll get approved. I'm terrified of what the bill might be.

Is there anything I can do, has anyone else been through such a sitiuation?

Appreciate.

Yes. You'll have to pay the bill. Not sure what else do you expect. :P and I thought there are some penalties for US citizens who don't have insurance? 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

1 minute ago, Roel said:

Yes. You'll have to pay the bill. Not sure what else do you expect. :P and I thought there are some penalties for US citizens who don't have insurance? 

I did expect that indeed, it didn't hurt to get more information though.

1 minute ago, Umka36 said:

What state are you in? You could work out a payment plan with the hospital.

I'm in Washington state, they'll allow us to have a payment plan.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Welcome to the US. Things get nasty without insurance. I hope the financial assistance pans out for you. As @Umka36 said, talk to the hospital about a payment plan which can help make things more manageable hopefully.

3 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

Not if they don't make enough.

Alrighty thanks! 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Timeline

I personally would just take the payment plan option (typically they will charge less as you are paying out of pocket), and pay the minimum until you're able to work.

Unfortunately accidents can happen anywhere/anytime during the most unforeseen time. My kids are a testament of this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Work a payment plan with the hospital thru the financial assistance program. Usually hospitals have some like that. Earlier last year I had a scheduled surgery (had insurance) and we were able to work on a payment plan with the hospital for the remaining amount that was my responsibility. If you qualify for financial assistance, you may get the final billing amount reduced. Do not freak out. Most of the times you can work it out with the hospital. 

It could be thousands but you won't know until the bill arrives. As you don't have insurance, you will get billed for the full rate. Insurance companies negotiate lower rates for their customers or maximums for services - you won't be entitled to that. You can negotiate to see if they have flexibility on charges to bring them more in line with what they are reimbursed by insurance carriers. That can save you a bit of money.

Another thing to consider if any financial support their provide and get setup for a payment plan.

If money is tight, see whether either of you qualify for Apple Health. It provides free or reduced plans to those under a specific income level. If you recently relocated to the US, it qualifies as a life event that lets you sign up mid-year. Insurance is cheap compared to a hospital bill. I'd recommend getting started towards insurance and reducing risk until you're insured.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New life,  from AOS family~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hospitals can bill you as much as they want once you are in their possession.  Before you agree to a financial plan, ask for 30 to 40% discount they give to insurance companies.  Cry in front of them if you have to it will save you tons of money.

07/27/17 - K1 packet sent at the end of day.

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

08/28/18 - expected date for medical completion - Sputum test was needed

09/22/18 - anticipated interview date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well that is when it is a good time to have a spare of ID, mind you tell them you are an immigrant no SSN etc and they probably will take whatever you are prepared to pay them.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.