O.C

Importing a Vehicle (Subaru) Without TPMS - Success!

229 posts in this topic

Okay, I'd like to share my experience. This might help someone in the same boat as me. So, as you can see in my last post, Honda said in the letter that I have TPMS and Anti-theft Device but they couldn't confirm if those meet US standards and I need to update those systems. Upon finding this thread, I ordered one TPMS system and one anti theft alarm from Amazon. Went to discount tire to get the TPMS installed (surprisingly they didn't charge me anything) and asked another non-brand shop to install the alarm. Got invoices for both and went to the CBP office in Denver. The officer first asked for the Honda letter and after looking at it he said I needed to update the systems. I showed him the invoices, he went inside and grabbed another officer. The officer told me I needed original parts and the work had to be done by Honda dealer. The officer was understanding. He told me that he was surprised to see such a letter where it said I have those systems but couldn't be confirmed for US standards. Then he gave me a friendly advice, he told me to go to any Honda dealer and get something in writing mentioning that the TPMS and Anti Theft Device that are originally installed meet US standards. So, I left the office, google for nearest Honda dealer and went there. I told the lady at the service desk that I need to register my vehicle and I need something in writing that shows my TPMS and Anti Theft Device meet the US standards. The lady was super nice and gave me an work order like document where she simply wrote that the TPMS and Anti Theft Device meet the US standards. I took the letter to the CBP office on the same day, found the same officer, he gave me a form to fill out, and boom, I got the import paper I needed. I lost so many nights of sleeps over this, and I guess at the end I was lucky. 

3 minutes ago, J.M.C. said:

Okay, I'd like to share my experience. This might help someone in the same boat as me. So, as you can see in my last post, Honda said in the letter that I have TPMS and Anti-theft Device but they couldn't confirm if those meet US standards and I need to update those systems. Upon finding this thread, I ordered one TPMS system and one anti theft alarm from Amazon. Went to discount tire to get the TPMS installed (surprisingly they didn't charge me anything) and asked another non-brand shop to install the alarm. Got invoices for both and went to the CBP office in Denver. The officer first asked for the Honda letter and after looking at it he said I needed to update the systems. I showed him the invoices, he went inside and grabbed another officer. The officer told me I needed original parts and the work had to be done by Honda dealer. The officer was understanding. He told me that he was surprised to see such a letter where it said I have those systems but couldn't be confirmed for US standards. Then he gave me a friendly advice, he told me to go to any Honda dealer and get something in writing mentioning that the TPMS and Anti Theft Device that are originally installed meet US standards. So, I left the office, google for nearest Honda dealer and went there. I told the lady at the service desk that I need to register my vehicle and I need something in writing that shows my TPMS and Anti Theft Device meet the US standards. The lady was super nice and gave me an work order like document where she simply wrote that the TPMS and Anti Theft Device meet the US standards. I took the letter to the CBP office on the same day, found the same officer, he gave me a form to fill out, and boom, I got the import paper I needed. I lost so many nights of sleeps over this, and I guess at the end I was lucky. 

Congrats. This whole 'importing' and 'confirming' thing is very stressful. How many cars driving around in the US now do not have TPMS, anti-theft, ... LOTS and look at the hassle we have to go through. Not fair!

• 1 month later...
Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I'd just like to share my experience regarding the TPMS issue for peoples' knowledge.
I'm a TN visa holder from Ontario, with a 2008 Mazda 3 from Ontario. The only thing my car lacked was TMPS, stated on a letter from Mazda.

In September 2019, I followed the advice on this thread, ordered an external aftermarket system, and installed it myself. This was likely my mistake.
I crossed at the Ambassador bridge in Detroit, where the CBP officer basically ignored my written note confirming TPMS installation. I was too nervous to raise an issue or argue.

I got given a 'temporary import', which when I looked into it further is a 'Temporary Import upon Bond'. I was told that my car basically didn't meet DOT standards, and to export (re-import to Canada) my vehicle within a calendar year (else pay double the duty and a fine). My car was exempt from passing DOT under the following rule. From this page on CBP website: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

(Those imported by nonresidents for personal use not exceeding one year. The vehicle must be exported at the end of that year - there are no exceptions or extensions.

I'm coming up to the end of the allowable year for my vehicle (during the COVID Pandemic). I'd like to try to install an aftermarket system through a mechanic (with a receipt), and try to convert my importation status. Does anyone know if I can enact a vehicle import at a different location than the border? I don't want to try and cross the border right now during the volatile border situation.

To highlight the problems this type of import can cause you, my only alternatives to converting this temporary import seem to be:
- Ask for an extension on the temporary import
- Destroy the car (with CBP witnesses, this is apparently a big deal)
- Export back to Canada and risk not being able to re-enter the USA during pandemic, or without reliable transportation.

Hope this helps someone down the line!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey @bigforrap, have you tried calling Detroit CBP? I should think you'd be able to see them without having to leave the USA. They have a field office in downtown Detroit, although I'm not sure if they see members of the public there. It wouldn't hurt to call them and see what they say.

P.S. Nice city you got there, I live there as well! 🙂

Edited by JlovesA

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hey all, I'm starting to look into going through this process myself and I see a lot of references to non-compliance due to FMVSS 101, but not much information on how people resolved this. Are people updating their gauge clusters, or does this not matter. For example, from the original post:

My compliance letter stated "Our data indicates this vehicle at the time of manufacture conformed to all applicable US FMVSS, EXCEPT FOR:

- FMVSS 101 Controls and display differences (1) MPH vs KPH (2) Brake telltale (3) ABS telltale

- FMVSS 138 Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If anyone has recently followed the advice in this thread, please let me know if it is still good or not. If the advice  is no longer relevant/works I will lock the thread. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
On 9/2/2020 at 9:59 AM, buncho said:

Hey all, I'm starting to look into going through this process myself and I see a lot of references to non-compliance due to FMVSS 101, but not much information on how people resolved this. Are people updating their gauge clusters, or does this not matter. For example, from the original post:

Hi. I didn’t do any modification except: What I did was only switching the unit in my Subaru Impreza 2017 from KM into MILES by going into car setting (I thought I had read this on this forum).  I also had a digital speedometer aside from the analog. The border officers didn’t even check that I switched it. I couldn’t  remember if they saw my compliance letter as well. The officers checked the stickers on my door which conformed to US FMVSS. 

Edited by Clyde C
Edit

• 3 weeks later...

As a note, it's much more difficult to move a US car to Canada than vice versa!

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Does anyone have any recent experience with the aftermarket TPMS route? I'm trying to bring a Hyundai Elantra GT over to the US and the TPMS is the one blocker right now.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, buncho said:

Does anyone have any recent experience with the aftermarket TPMS route? I'm trying to bring a Hyundai Elantra GT over to the US and the TPMS is the one blocker right now.

I bought a TPMS kit on amazon and had it installed by OK Tire. I successfully imported my car on July 1st 2020.

Timeline
On 9/22/2020 at 8:50 AM, pegagn said:

I bought a TPMS kit on amazon and had it installed by OK Tire. I successfully imported my car on July 1st 2020.

Any suggestions on kit or border crossing? :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anyone know if you can activate your visa and come across with your car and if it doesn’t meet requirements still come and get the things you need completed within a time frame? My husband and I are 2 hours apart and he will go back to canada as he has parents and children there. Do we have a time period to get it exported?

7 hours ago, US-EH said:

Does anyone know if you can activate your visa and come across with your car and if it doesn’t meet requirements still come and get the things you need completed within a time frame? My husband and I are 2 hours apart and he will go back to canada as he has parents and children there. Do we have a time period to get it exported?

1 year. 

The question is if the Canadian insurance will cover him as a non-canadian resident and for how long. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For the TPMS issue, since it's based on regulations in place at the time when the vehicle was manufactured, I'm assuming that vehicles of model year 2007 or older do not require TPMS systems in order to import. Can anyone confirm if that is the case?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone, 

I want to import my car to the US on TN as well. I have a Hyundai Sonata 2015, and I really don't want to sell it. It doesn't come with TPMS by default. I called OK Tire, Kal Tire, Canadian Tire here in Vancouver and they all said they don't do it if my car doesn't support it by default (they say the computer doesn't support this feature and therefore they cannot install it on my car). I was wondering if anyone had the experience of installing it in Vancouver. Where did you buy it? Can you send me a link? or the name/title of the part you bought. It would be great if you could share the phone number of mechanic who installed it for you.

Has anyone had the experience of crossing the Peace Arch border with an aftermarket TPMS installed?

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.