O.C

Importing a Vehicle (Subaru) Without TPMS - Success!

229 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/19/2019 at 2:12 PM, Bubblelee said:

Yes, I paid off entirely.

I paid my car off a week before I imported it as well. I had the letter from the bank I financed through saying that it has been paid off and they do not own the vehicle anymore, I do.

On 2/14/2019 at 4:04 PM, Bubblelee said:

Hi,

We just imported our Subaru outback 2017 to California successfully.

I got TPMS in amazon.ca and asked my car shop to install for me. They charged about 150CAD. 

We drove to Buffalo border from where we live (Burlington) and submit all the documents. They didn't even check TPMS receipt or installation at all. It took 10 minutes since no one was in front of us. We got stamp on our application form and that's it. Maybe we we were just lucky?

We thought we couldn't get auto insurance without California Driver license but we were wrong. We got it from GEICO online. I called them to make sure they accept Canadian Drivers licence. I successfully registered my car last week, Feb 9 2019.

Congrats!!! :)

K1 Visa                                                                                                                AOS                                                                                ROC

Feb 23/17 -  NOA1  ··· July  07/17 - NOA2                                                      Nov 14/17 Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765                         Jan 26/20 Mailed I-751 

Aug 07/17 -  at NVC ···  Aug 09/17 -  Case # Assigned                                Nov 16 & 20/17 - NOA's                                              Jan 30/20 - NOA

Aug 10/17 - Consulate Rec ···  Aug 12+14/17 - Packet 3/4                        Dec 20/18 Biometrics Appt                                     Mar 02/20 Biometrics Appt 

Aug 28/17 - Medical ···  Sep 27/17 - Interview Approved!                           Jan 25/18 - EAD/AP Approved                                 Oct 14/20 New Card Being Produced Approved!   

Oct 02/17 - Visa In Hand ···  Oct 22/17 -  POE · Peace Bridge                     Feb 01/18 - EAD/AP Card Received                         Oct 21/20 - New Card Received

Nov 01/17 - Married!                                                                                           Mar 13/18 - AOS Interview Approved!                     ??? ??/21 - ...N400?

Mar 21/18 -  Green Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, santoki said:

What did you have as proof of assessed value?

They (US Border Protection) determine the value, but they asked me first. If I was better prepared, maybe I could have saved some $.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 4:04 PM, Bubblelee said:

Hi,

We just imported our Subaru outback 2017 to California successfully.

I got TPMS in amazon.ca and asked my car shop to install for me. They charged about 150CAD. 

We drove to Buffalo border from where we live (Burlington) and submit all the documents. They didn't even check TPMS receipt or installation at all. It took 10 minutes since no one was in front of us. We got stamp on our application form and that's it. Maybe we we were just lucky?

We thought we couldn't get auto insurance without California Driver license but we were wrong. We got it from GEICO online. I called them to make sure they accept Canadian Drivers licence. I successfully registered my car last week, Feb 9 2019.

Hi Bubblelee,

Would you be so kind and share the name of your car shop? I live near Burlington and I'm looking to import my Subaru Forester 2017 to NJ. And if it is not too much to ask, could you please share the amazon.ca website links for the TPMS you got?

Thank you in advance!

• 1 month later...
Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello. I got a job offer to Maine and just waiting for all my paperworks to get my TN visa. I’m  planning to import my 2017 Subaru Impreza 5Dr Hatchback. I wanted to be prepared when crossing the border since it’s a 10hr drive from Toronto to Maine. 

1. I requested the compliance letter from Suburu online & received via email the next day. Unfortunately, I had same issue:

"Our data indicates this vehicle at the time of manufacture conformed to all applicable US FMVSS, EXCEPT FOR:

- FMVSS 101 Controls and display differences (1) MPH vs KPH (2) Brake telltale (3) ABStelltale

- FMVSS 138 Tire Pressure Monitoring System”

2. I’ll probably order an aftermarket TPMS on amazon (i.e. Vesafe Tire Pressure Monitoring System TPMS) & have it installed professionally. 

3. I will need to fully pay my car. It’s currently being financed. 

4. I’m reading on registration & licensing in Maine. 

Will provide update. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A hijack post plus answers = split into a new thread: "Must Pay Off Car Before Importing It?  [split topic]."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am in the same situation and your post helped me to figure out a solution for my car which is a Honda Civic 2012. 

Could you kindly tell me which TPMS you bought from amazon?.

I need to buy one as well and get it installed. Hope you can let me know soon because I am driving upto Canada beginning of August to import my car.

Thank You :)

On 7/13/2019 at 3:23 PM, Mevora said:

My car doesn't have TPMS but was imported from US. Would I have any problem ?

Your car was originally from the USA and imported to Canada and now you're moving it back to the USA?  Probably not an issue then. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/14/2019 at 8:49 PM, NikLR said:

Your car was originally from the USA and imported to Canada and now you're moving it back to the USA?  Probably not an issue then. 

Yes that's exactly the case

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 11:51 AM, Bizy said:

Hey there, I created an account just to reply to this post because I was also able to successfully import my car without an OEM TPMS, using the steps provided by the OP.  Here are the details:

I have a Canadian 2016 Mercedes-Benz C300 4-Matic Sedan that has the "passive" TPLS system and my compliance letter indicated that my car was not compliant with the following:

#101, namely:    Instrument Cluster

#138, namely:    Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I also called a bunch of registered importers as well as Mercedes-Benz in both Canada and the USA and was told that there was nothing that they could do, it would cost too much, just sell it, etc.  I bought an after-market TPMS system from Amazon for like 89 dollars CDN (Vesafe TPMS CL-201) with 4 Bluetooth sensors that screw on to the stems tips and a small, flat unit that goes into the cigarette lighter and shows the PSI for each of the tires. 

I took the Vesafe TPMS system to a tire place (I went to "OK Tire" in Etobicoke) and they "installed it" for me, basically just screwing the sensors into the stems, and gave me an invoice indicating that they "Installed customer-provided after-market TPMS system", which I signed.

I took the OK Tire  invoice, along with my ownership, the compliance letter from Mercedes, my bill of sale, my proof that I paid off my financing, and semi-completed forms HS799-Short and EPA 3520-1 to the rainbow bridge at like 8am on a Wednesday.  I was the only one there and I'm not sure if that made a difference or not.  The officer asked me to turn on my car and show him my speedometer in MPH, which I can configure for the center LCD display in my car but my physical speedometer and other dials still showed KMs.  I also showed him the working TPMS receiver in the cigarette lighter and showed him the sensors plugged into the tire stems and then we went back inside to fill out forms.  I had already downloaded the forms and filled out the easy stuff like my name, manufacturer, model and VIN number wherever I could, to show initiative and make his life easier I guess...

On the EPA form, I did not have to fill out fields 3, 8, 9, 10, 12 or 15 and I put my name and address in field 11.  They told me to select code EE in the box below.  This will likely be specific to your car.

On the HS799 form, I just put in the make/model, year and VIN.  The officer put my name in the "registered importer" field and put in the port of entry (0901), customs port code (0901) and entry date (today's date).  The customs entry and vehicle eligibility numbers were left blank, so was the "description of merchandise" box.  The officer then selected "2A" for my car, saying that it conformed to FMVSS.  He stamped each with a seal from homeland security and I signed in a few places and he photocopied the above forms and some of my stuff, including my TPMS invoice from OK Tire, for their records and gave me back all of the originals.  He said that I would need these forms to register the car at the DMV, so make sure to keep them safe.

I was also given a form called Resident Personal Vehicle Importation - Informal CBP 7501 "Entry Summary" which has some of my information on it, which I also signed and kept the original.  I think this form helps the officers to make sure they get all the required information that they need but I am going to bring this to the DMV too, just in case.  

I was at the CBP for about 20 minutes total and I head back to Canada as soon as I was done.  I have been researching this importing process for more than 3 months and this is the only post on the entire internet that I was able to find that had anyone saying they were successful.  I am so glad that I found it, as I would not have been able to import the car successfully otherwise.  The key to this is having a professional tire place install the TPMS and getting an invoice, then showing the officer the TPMS working on your vehicle and having all the documentation that you need.

Thanks again to the original poster - I will follow up once I go to register the car in Seattle.

Hey @Bizy did you bring the car back to Canada once it was approved and then have a shipping company ship the car back into the US? Are shipping companies willing to ship cars with this informal CBP 7501 "Entry Summary" then (in lieu of a letter of compliance that states that the car is fully compliant)? 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I saw a few people asking which TPMS was purchased. I know there are a few out there but when I asked my mechanic which I should go for he said Schrader as it is a known-brand.

This is the one I purchased last year

https://www.amazon.com/Schrader-SCH-BRK-4PC-Retrofit-Passenger-Wireless-Battery/dp/B008YQOZMG

K1 Visa                                                                                                                AOS                                                                                ROC

Feb 23/17 -  NOA1  ··· July  07/17 - NOA2                                                      Nov 14/17 Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765                         Jan 26/20 Mailed I-751 

Aug 07/17 -  at NVC ···  Aug 09/17 -  Case # Assigned                                Nov 16 & 20/17 - NOA's                                              Jan 30/20 - NOA

Aug 10/17 - Consulate Rec ···  Aug 12+14/17 - Packet 3/4                        Dec 20/18 Biometrics Appt                                     Mar 02/20 Biometrics Appt 

Aug 28/17 - Medical ···  Sep 27/17 - Interview Approved!                           Jan 25/18 - EAD/AP Approved                                 Oct 14/20 New Card Being Produced Approved!   

Oct 02/17 - Visa In Hand ···  Oct 22/17 -  POE · Peace Bridge                     Feb 01/18 - EAD/AP Card Received                         Oct 21/20 - New Card Received

Nov 01/17 - Married!                                                                                           Mar 13/18 - AOS Interview Approved!                     ??? ??/21 - ...N400?

Mar 21/18 -  Green Card Received

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: TD Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/28/2019 at 7:47 AM, O.C said:

I saw a few people asking which TPMS was purchased. I know there are a few out there but when I asked my mechanic which I should go for he said Schrader as it is a known-brand.

This is the one I purchased last year

https://www.amazon.com/Schrader-SCH-BRK-4PC-Retrofit-Passenger-Wireless-Battery/dp/B008YQOZMG

I see a number of people had their TPMS installed professionally. Is this a requirement? It looks very easy to do. I’ve called Canadian Tire and OK Tire and they quoted some crazy installation costs.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/25/2019 at 7:03 AM, grupetto said:

I just completed the process at Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) yesterday. Brought down my TPMS as per 

compliance letter. They did not even ask for the compliance letter much less the TPMS. Charged 3% duty 

on their assessed value. Payable by credit card. Have a assessed value ready for them and some proof, otherwise

you get a high number.

2016 Elantra SE.

Hello @grupetto I live in Windsor, Ontario and have a 2013 Honda Civic LX. My car is fully paid off so that is no problem.

As I read above many have just got aftermarket TPMS on amazon and get it installed by a mechanic. Can you tell me where you got it installed?

Also, is there a duty if I am immigrating to USA and bringing my own car? I will have a green card when I import so not sure if that is part of personal bring on items and non taxed/duty. It should be around CAD 7-8K but not sure.

Did anybody have experience in transferring plates/temporary plates and insurance transfer? I am trying to move to North Carolina. My plan is to cross in my car and drive straight to NC and not return. Pack all my major stuff in my car when I cross and ship the rest of any.

But I am not sure how to drive there with Ontario plates as I have to return them to cancel the ownership or something. I see most of you are from Ontario so can you help?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I self installed my TPMS., which they ignored anyways. The duty is 3%. Bring down evidence of your car value to show 

them. I drove down with Ontario plates, did the reg and insurance when I arrived. They will give you a piece of paper when

you pay the duty. The NC DMV will want to see that.

6 minutes ago, grupetto said:

I self installed my TPMS., which they ignored anyways. The duty is 3%. Bring down evidence of your car value to show 

them. I drove down with Ontario plates, did the reg and insurance when I arrived. They will give you a piece of paper when

you pay the duty. The NC DMV will want to see that.

Duty only applies for non NA made vehicles. 

People who are immigrating to the US have 1 year to import their vehicle and have 10 years to move preowned household goods. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.