Goodshepherd000

High school or its equivalent

12 posts in this topic

Please my wife and i have won Visa Lottery 2019  but my wife is the principal winner and during the initial entry i choose Vocational as her higher educational level and she has no high school cert.Which mean after her elementary school she went to a vocational school and has NVTI as her cert .Please will it be acepted and can we proceed with the process? ?Please i need your advice because the money involve is a lot. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, Goodshepherd000 said:

Please my wife and i have won Visa Lottery 2019  but my wife is the principal winner and during the initial entry i choose Vocational as her higher educational level and she has no high school cert.Which mean after her elementary school she went to a vocational school and has NVTI as her cert .Please will it be acepted and can we proceed with the process? ?Please i need your advice because the money involve is a lot. 

Since you already put it down, there is no changing that. It will be now up to USCIS to accept your application or not. I don't mean to be rude, but when you do immigration, there is always somekinda money involved and chances the outcome is not in your favor is always there. Hence DV-lottery 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

6 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

Since you already put it down, there is no changing that. It will be now up to USCIS to accept your application or not. I don't mean to be rude, but when you do immigration, there is always somekinda money involved and chances the outcome is not in your favor is always there. Hence DV-lottery 

So please do you mean i can submit my vocational certificate and see whether it will be accepted or not ??

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Goodshepherd000 said:

So please do you mean i can submit my vocational certificate and see whether it will be accepted or not ??

Yes, there is not point on backpedaling now. Proceed and hope for the best. It is hard to tell what they could do.  

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Timeline

@Goodshepherd000 you where already a winner from DV-lottery 2019, unless you no longer want to come to the US... That's something a lot of people don't win or get a chance to have

The poster above means well but unfortunately s/he is incorrect. A vocational school leaving certificate is not acceptable -  the equivalent of a US high school education is defined as enabling you to enter a US college with that certificate.  It's unfortunate that the entry instructions are ambiguous about what equivalency means, but the instructions to consular officers are clear on this:

The Department’s Interpretation of the Term “at Least a High School Education or its Equivalent” Means Successful Completion of at least a:

(a)  Twelve-year course of elementary and secondary study in the United States; or

(b)  Formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to completion of 12 years elementary or secondary education in the United States.  Because a United States high school education is sufficient in itself to qualify a student to apply for college admission, in order for a foreign education to be equivalent to a United States education, it should be sufficient to allow a student to apply for college admission without further education.  Vocational degrees that are not considered a basis for further academic study will not be considered equivalent to United States high school education.

See the section on eligibility here https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050206.html 

So unfortunately unless you are able to show that your wife can qualify on work experience (usually very difficult to prove, and it basically requires working at the kind of job that you have enough experience to have reached a level others need university degrees for) you will be rejected. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Timeline
On 6/3/2018 at 6:59 AM, Alabamak1 said:

Yes, there is not point on backpedaling now. Proceed and hope for the best. It is hard to tell what they could do.  

Hmmn no. It is not hard to tell what they could do. The DV educational requirements are quite clear -vocational certificate is not acceptable. To qualify based on educational requirements, one needs at least successful completion of high school. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I also have a question regarding school certificate. I am from Georgia (country), now live in Egypt (as my husband is Egyptian). My school certificate is lost and I can't reissue it through the consulate or online services (need to be their in person or an authorized person to reissue it). But I graduated from University (got my bachelor academic degree) and obtained another post-graduate certificate. Worked in my field for more than 10 years but last five years I base in Egypt and have no working permit. So my question is: is it ok if i present only my Bachelor and post-graduate diplomas, or i will be still asked to show school certificate? Can I be refused at the interview for not presenting school certificate?

thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Soffione said:

Hello,

I also have a question regarding school certificate. I am from Georgia (country), now live in Egypt (as my husband is Egyptian). My school certificate is lost and I can't reissue it through the consulate or online services (need to be their in person or an authorized person to reissue it). But I graduated from University (got my bachelor academic degree) and obtained another post-graduate certificate. Worked in my field for more than 10 years but last five years I base in Egypt and have no working permit. So my question is: is it ok if i present only my Bachelor and post-graduate diplomas, or i will be still asked to show school certificate? Can I be refused at the interview for not presenting school certificate?

thanks in advance

Depends on the consulate to be honest. Some have insisted on seeing the high school certificate and others have been ok with just the highest degree if the applicant has attended university. Are you DV2019 or 2018? In either case I’d strongly suggest you try get it to be on the safe side, especially as you will be interviewing in a country that is not familiar with your home country education system. Obviously you’ll have more time to figure out a solution if DV2019. Isn’t there anyone in Georgia you can nominate as an authorized person?

20 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Depends on the consulate to be honest. Some have insisted on seeing the high school certificate and others have been ok with just the highest degree if the applicant has attended university. Are you DV2019 or 2018? In either case I’d strongly suggest you try get it to be on the safe side, especially as you will be interviewing in a country that is not familiar with your home country education system. Obviously you’ll have more time to figure out a solution if DV2019. Isn’t there anyone in Georgia you can nominate as an authorized person?

I am a 2019 selectee. It is not about not having people to authorize there in Georgia but about the whole procedure, there is a lot of hassle and will take some time. Besides, I do not really trust sending documents through the Egyptian post (it takes too long and the documents may be even lost). Anyway, thanks for your response, I will try my best to get the certificate through DHL or so.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.