1,652 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LizM said:

Oh, so you're going to talk to SSA in Maryland? I wasn't sure how to interpret "returned to agency". Hope they call you back soon!

So I called the main SSA number and asked for a callback... 2 hours later the woman said I had to call the local office that I applied in. So I phoned the Beaverton one and the guy said that he could see I had applied, but that a number had not been assigned, but he also couldn't see my case pending... he basically told me to wait another 2 weeks. He said it's possible that it's been processed so I may get it in the mail but if a number hasn't been assigned (or he couldn't see one) then I guess i'll find out in 2 weeks if i have to go back and apply again.... 

I wish I'd waited until last week to apply with it all being electronic... oh well!

15 minutes ago, emylady said:

So I called the main SSA number and asked for a callback... 2 hours later the woman said I had to call the local office that I applied in. So I phoned the Beaverton one and the guy said that he could see I had applied, but that a number had not been assigned, but he also couldn't see my case pending... he basically told me to wait another 2 weeks. He said it's possible that it's been processed so I may get it in the mail but if a number hasn't been assigned (or he couldn't see one) then I guess i'll find out in 2 weeks if i have to go back and apply again.... 

I wish I'd waited until last week to apply with it all being electronic... oh well!

Gaah. Okay well it's nice to not be alone in this! Let me know if you have any updates. I think I will call the SSA next week and try to ask again if my manual verification was sent via paper or electronically. I think they must be able to see at least that.

h

On 08/06/2018 at 4:12 PM, LizM said:

Gaah. Okay well it's nice to not be alone in this! Let me know if you have any updates. I think I will call the SSA next week and try to ask again if my manual verification was sent via paper or electronically. I think they must be able to see at least that.

I got a letter from the SSA today saying that my card should arrive in 2 weeks so I believe that yours should be the same too! It says they cannot give the number out over the phone so I'm going to go on Monday and try and get it that way before the card comes as I get married next weekend so would like it before then! Good Luck!

29 minutes ago, emylady said:

I got a letter from the SSA today saying that my card should arrive in 2 weeks so I believe that yours should be the same too! It says they cannot give the number out over the phone so I'm going to go on Monday and try and get it that way before the card comes as I get married next weekend so would like it before then! Good Luck!

Gosh I really hope so! I have not received any letter from them. Lucky you! Let me know if your case check looks any different in SAVE once it's been issued to you? :) Mine still says received but it's not very helpful since it doesn't say since when. 

Also, I wish you a wonderful wedding :D

h

Good morning everyone :) Just received my e-notifications, actually at 12:20 am today. The Chicago people are earlybirds!

Brief timeline, I sent out the package late evening on 6/4/2018, and it was delivered mid-day on 6/6/2018 according to UPS electronic tracking. Interestingly though, USCIS thinks they received my case on 6/5/2018 (that's the current case status for both I-131 and I-765). Current case status for I-485 is "Fingerprint fee was received" on 6/7/2018. Either UPS electronic tracking notifications are slower than its own mail delivery service, or the USCIS for some reason puts an earlier date.

Anyway, hope everyone's weekend was good! What has everyone been up to? My husband was moved by the recent death of Anthony Bourdain so we have spent a good amount of time watching Parts Unknown. We have also finally bought and assembled our IKEA dresser. Without any damage to the dresser or ourselves. Or our marriage :D

h

On 6/8/2018 at 2:44 PM, LizM said:

Thank you guys!

Unfortunately, no luck at the SSA - still in manual verification jungle - however, I'm very happy to say that I was able to get a bank account today :D

I spontaneously went over to TD Bank because a Google search made it seem they accepted customers without SSNs. And it was true, they only needed two forms of identification - however, they also need proof of a US address... So I disappointedly left because I have no such thing, no state ID (because that requires proof of address too <_<), no utility bills, no bank statements addressed to my home (obviously). But as I was walking back I realized that my US address is on my marriage certificate. Which I had in my bag. So I went back and they accepted it! To everyone who feels stuck because they don't have their SSN yet, you are not screwed! And the best part is now I have additional proof of address to bring with me when I try to get a State ID at the DMV next week :) I am strong without an SSN! Hehe.

FYI, the TD checking account + debit card is free if you keep a minimum of $100 in it. They wanted me to deposit $25 while I opened it and there was a $3 fee to withdraw those $25 but I can live with that. I had wanted to become a customer in my husband's bank to open a joint account with him, but his bank will not accept no SSN or ITIN, so this is absolutely fine for now, just happy that I could do something.

ooooh you had a great successful day! I know it's sometimes frustrating (I experienced it firsthand hahaha) but, we are all getting steps

closer to the easy part now so let's just hope!!! :)

I plan on going back to DMV tomorrow and hopefully I can get my driving test done and out the way! 

I am assuming with a SS Card on hand now, the status has changed with them also and I can finally do that test! :) lets' hope!!!

Hoping to get NOA1's in the mail today :) 

By the way - does anybody else have a blog about their new life/move/K1 or something? If so - I'd love to read a bit or browse (with so much 

time on my hands hahahaha)

N-400: 12/05/2023 (confirmed fingerprints are re-used)

Interview scheduled for: 05/09/2024

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi all! New to this thread, but a (hopefully) fellow June AOS filer (we're hoping to file by the end of the month). Only thing really holding us up right now is Paul's SSN. I know we can go ahead and file without it, but a lot of the things we want to add him to/subsequently submit as evidence require him to have an SSN, so it's like a catch-22 right now.

He's already applied for his SSN, but was sent for the obnoxious manual verification. :( We were happy to get someone who seemed to have a clue about K1 applicants, though, and didn't reject him upfront like some people are. I took a day off work last week to get some things done, and unfortunately that's literally ALL we got done for him. We went ahead and ran some errands to get my name changed, which needed to be done too so wasn't a total waste of a day. I'll feel better when we can make a bit more headway with his stuff, though.

Good luck to all!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Timeline
3 hours ago, LizM said:

Good morning everyone :) Just received my e-notifications, actually at 12:20 am today. The Chicago people are earlybirds!

Brief timeline, I sent out the package late evening on 6/4/2018, and it was delivered mid-day on 6/6/2018 according to UPS electronic tracking. Interestingly though, USCIS thinks they received my case on 6/5/2018 (that's the current case status for both I-131 and I-765). Current case status for I-485 is "Fingerprint fee was received" on 6/7/2018. Either UPS electronic tracking notifications are slower than its own mail delivery service, or the USCIS for some reason puts an earlier date.

Anyway, hope everyone's weekend was good! What has everyone been up to? My husband was moved by the recent death of Anthony Bourdain so we have spent a good amount of time watching Parts Unknown. We have also finally bought and assembled our IKEA dresser. Without any damage to the dresser or ourselves. Or our marriage :D

Ah, Anthony Bourdain really bummed Paul out as a fellow chef; he was a huge fan. :( Very sad.

Yay Ikea furniture!! I've lost count of how many trips we've made already since Paul got here :D

Our weekend was wonderful! They go by too fast, as always. We've been cleaning out the house every weekend since he got here last month, and finally finished the last room this weekend - the kitchen! We have donated/tossed SO MUCH STUFF - I had no idea I had accumulated so much. I felt like a hoarder. :wacko: But it feels good to make room and nest a bit - makes it feel like OUR home even more.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

Timeline
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, LizM said:

Hi! Perfect, thank you! When I find mine through my passport number it also says it's been returned to the Agency, see below.

So you have not gotten your SSN yet?

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 15.45.24.png

I feel dumb, but where do you go to check your case status?

Never mind - I should really read forwards, instead of backwards. LOL

Edited by Paul & Mallory
Håll ut, y'all.

4 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

I feel dumb, but where do you go to check your case status?

No need to feel that way! I just happened to find it in the midst of my manual verification frustration :D

https://www.uscis.gov/save/casecheck (Or, go to uscis.gov, search for "save case check", and pick the first option)

You can search by I-94 number, A-number, or passport number. Personally, nothing turns up for the first two, but I got a hit on my passport number.

Also, welcome! Sounds like you had a nice weekend. I used to be a bit of an unintentional hoarder too, but I had to get rid of everything moving here, so I'm starting from scratch again. 

h

Timeline
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, LizM said:

I have a question. Can someone on here who successfully got issued their SSN by going in to the SSA sometime after their K1 Visa Arrival, check if they can find their own I-94 number in SAVE? I just want to know if they find an entry or not. I can't find anything on my I-94 or my A-number. Only my passport number, but that entry is dated 29th of May (same day I appled for SSN) so I think it might just be the SSAs entry/request (?).

Anyway, here's the link: https://save.uscis.gov/CaseCheck/CaseCheck.aspx. If you don't want to add any sensitive numbers to a link provided by a complete stranger on a forum (I am not evil, but still :D) go to USCIS.gov and search for 'SAVE casecheck' and you will find the database. I would very much appreciate it, as then I will not be going over to the SSA again but just be comforted by the fact that my entry is not there, until it is :) 

Should I worry if it says no cases are found under any of Paul's information on that link? :blink:

Håll ut, y'all.

Timeline
1 minute ago, LizM said:

No need to feel that way! I just happened to find it in the midst of my manual verification frustration :D

https://www.uscis.gov/save/casecheck (Or, go to uscis.gov, search for "save case check", and pick the first option)

You can search by I-94 number, A-number, or passport number. Personally, nothing turns up for the first two, but I got a hit on my passport number.

Also, welcome! Sounds like you had a nice weekend. I used to be a bit of an unintentional hoarder too, but I had to get rid of everything moving here, so I'm starting from scratch again. 

Even though I'm not the one who moved, I feel like I've been doing the same. I've always lived alone, so it was an adjustment to have someone moving in with me and sharing space. I got used to having the closet to myself :jest: lol

Håll ut, y'all.

6 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

Even though I'm not the one who moved, I feel like I've been doing the same. I've always lived alone, so it was an adjustment to have someone moving in with me and sharing space. I got used to having the closet to myself :jest: lol

That's good! It's a fresh start for both :) I agree, while I have lived with roomies a lot, it's quite different to live with a significant other. We share closet space, dresser space, and meals, which I never did with a roomie. My husband and I also live in a studio, so there's not much space. I was a bit nervous about how that would turn out but it's been going really well so far. I get my alone time when he's at work, and he just doesn't really need it haha.

Actually, I checked my SAVE case status again and this time, I got a hit on my I-94. I really hope this means they have connected my I-94 admission to my passport number and thus verified my status :D Hoping this means that my SSN will be issued soon. Will keep you updated!

h

Timeline
12 minutes ago, LizM said:

That's good! It's a fresh start for both :) I agree, while I have lived with roomies a lot, it's quite different to live with a significant other. We share closet space, dresser space, and meals, which I never did with a roomie. My husband and I also live in a studio, so there's not much space. I was a bit nervous about how that would turn out but it's been going really well so far. I get my alone time when he's at work, and he just doesn't really need it haha.

Actually, I checked my SAVE case status again and this time, I got a hit on my I-94. I really hope this means they have connected my I-94 admission to my passport number and thus verified my status :D Hoping this means that my SSN will be issued soon. Will keep you updated!

Oh that makes sense! Maybe it's because he just applied last Thursday, there's nothing there yet to check. Trying my hardest to give it the 4 weeks they advise, but that's hard to do. :| lol

Yes, he definitely gets more alone time than I do right now LOL but I don't feel like I need it too much. I'm sure most people say that when they're newlyweds and everyone says that'll change, lol, but I don't think it will entirely. I still have my girls' nights with my friends and my mom so we aren't glued to the hip 24/7. As long as he gets to watch his hockey games, he's pretty happy LOL

Håll ut, y'all.

ahhh my boo just confirmed that USCIS is coming in the mail today :D

thank god for informed delivery! i will sure be home at 3:30 - 4:30 when the maillady comes again hahaha

and PS: 

thanks a lot for that link - i just saw they sent a reply to DMV (they never contacted me or my husband though)

so i will go to the DMV tomorrow for sure and check what's going on... thanks for sharing that link

Edited by Swissmiss82

N-400: 12/05/2023 (confirmed fingerprints are re-used)

Interview scheduled for: 05/09/2024

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.