Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

My documents have been sent to NVC yesterday, so I've been told it takes 3-6 months to review until deemed documentarily qualified. 

Regarding requesting an expedited interview, should I wait until documentarily qualified, or submit the request now?

I am a healthcare worker who will be helping with the opiate epidemic in the US.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
39 minutes ago, CaveMan2 said:

My documents have been sent to NVC yesterday, so I've been told it takes 3-6 months to review until deemed documentarily qualified. 

Regarding requesting an expedited interview, should I wait until documentarily qualified, or submit the request now?

I am a healthcare worker who will be helping with the opiate epidemic in the US.  

Expedites can be applied at every stage and if approved only applies to that stage.

You can apply for an expedite for NVC review stage to get Documentarily qualified sooner.

Once DQ’d, you can apply to the consulate for an expedited interview.

Better chances of approval of expedite by NVC than Montreal consulate. But no harm trying at both stages.

26 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Expedites can be applied at every stage and if approved only applies to that stage.

You can apply for an expedite for NVC review stage to get Documentarily qualified sooner.

Once DQ’d, you can apply to the consulate for an expedited interview.

Better chances of approval of expedite by NVC than Montreal consulate. But no harm trying at both stages.

I will try to expedite at the NVC review stage then.

Is the US embassy in Montreal particularly strict, permitting few interview expedite approvals? 

Timeline
5 hours ago, CaveMan2 said:

I will try to expedite at the NVC review stage then.

Is the US embassy in Montreal particularly strict, permitting few interview expedite approvals? 

Yes, Montreal US consulate is known for not approving expedite requests easily.

The ones I have seen expedited recently were all IR1/CR1 cases where the USC spouse was undergoing surgery or medical issues, and needed their spouse (beneficiary/ visa applicant) with them.

But it never hurts to try. You never know, they might find merit in your particular reason.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Hi @From_CAN_2_US_CAN_2_US have a question. The I-140 has approved for my family but this time I have only applied for immigration for myself and my family is follow to join. I want to ask my family can stay in Canada and wait for immigration or they can stay in USA with me and apply for immigration. They have Canadian passports. Thanks

Why I am asking you because I realize you have lot of knowledge about consular processing 

I really appreciate 

Thank you

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, CaveMan2 said:

Before the pandemic, what was the wait time for an Eb2 interview after being documentarily qualified? 

Just trying to get an idea of how much this pandemic has slowed things down.

Our lawyer told us to expect about 4-6 months for the interview date pre-pandemic.

On 3/25/2022 at 4:56 PM, CanadianMD said:

Thanks for sharing. It seems like they were able to clear 1 year of backlog within 2-3 months. Very promising.

image.thumb.png.59e0490c3260a43c5d6cbb6e7994d223.png

Here's an update to compare the two consulates

FYI March stats: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Immigrant-Statistics/MonthlyIVIssuances/MARCH 2022 - IV Issuances by Post and Visa Class.pdf

Timeline
On 4/23/2022 at 3:36 AM, Gha said:

Hi @From_CAN_2_US_CAN_2_US have a question. The I-140 has approved for my family but this time I have only applied for immigration for myself and my family is follow to join. I want to ask my family can stay in Canada and wait for immigration or they can stay in USA with me and apply for immigration. They have Canadian passports. Thanks

Why I am asking you because I realize you have lot of knowledge about consular processing 

I really appreciate 

Thank you

My knowledge of consular is mostly limited to CR1/IR1 visas as that was my category.

However, from what I know, if you have indicated the family as “follow to join” they will not be interviewing at the same time as you and hence won’t be granted the visa at the same time as you. Hence they won’t be authorised to live in the US. Their status will remain a visitor when they come to US and their entry will be at the discretion of CBP (chances of denial of entry is higher when immigration is pending). They cannot enter the US with the intention to adjust status. So if you have that plan in mind already, them visiting you and then adjusting status would be illegal.

Note that there are ways to delay the actual move, even if they interview with you and are granted the visa as the same time as you.

Timeline
47 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

My knowledge of consular is mostly limited to CR1/IR1 visas as that was my category.

However, from what I know, if you have indicated the family as “follow to join” they will not be interviewing at the same time as you and hence won’t be granted the visa at the same time as you. Hence they won’t be authorised to live in the US. Their status will remain a visitor when they come to US and their entry will be at the discretion of CBP (chances of denial of entry is higher when immigration is pending). They cannot enter the US with the intention to adjust status. So if you have that plan in mind already, them visiting you and then adjusting status would be illegal.

Note that there are ways to delay the actual move, even if they interview with you and are granted the visa as the same time as you.

Please take my advice with a grain of salt as like I said, I know very little about EB category. I suggest you post this as a separate question and get opinion from the VJ experts.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/23/2022 at 2:36 AM, Gha said:

I really appreciate 

Thank you

Were your wife and children listed as derivative beneficiaries on the original I-140 petition?  Were they included on the DS-260?

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.