Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

As I understand it, an Indian citizen has 90 days from the date of acquiring another citizenship to renounce their Indian citizenship. After that they are subject to penalties (monetary). These penalties are extracted at the time one eventually goes to the consulate for renunciation.

So if the Indian national never renounces their citizenship, then India will never find out? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, CanadianMD said:

So if the Indian national never renounces their citizenship, then India will never find out? 

As far as I know, I don’t think they crack down on you. 

It just gets complicated for a person when hey still have ties in India and needs to visit. Travelling with Indian passport when you have a foreign passport is illegal and again comes with penalties if done. As a Canadian they would need a visa, so they could possibly be caught when they apply for that at the Indian consulate…. Also if they have bank accounts in India they need to update them with their passport information. Your Indian passport would expire at some point and then when you renew, you have to go to the consulate.

It just gets complicated, and best to be above board with it all renunciation…

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Yes. This makes sense.

Looking at the current Canadian citizenship timelines, it looks like I should get Oath invitation in next 3 months. Best case scenario if MTL moves 3 months per month then I should get invite in ~5 months (June 2021 DQ). So most likely I will be Canadian citizen by then. I never anticipated to be in this scenario but MTL took just too long and Canada citizenship moved much faster then anticipated (I applied in Sept 2021).

I LOVE Canadian immigration. They are quick to adapt to any circumstances. In pandemic they started doing online citizenship test and online Oath ceremonies. I am sure MTL can learn a thing or two from Canadian immigration.

Its not a rocket science. I am sure if you and I take a look at all pending MTL applications, we can surely find out 60-70% applications are straightforward/clean and should be able to take online interview and move them forward. Canada should be one of the low fraud countries. For rest of them they should call for physical interview. They surely need to adjust their process to fit the circumstances. Especially EB categories has lot of documentation from employer and many of us have already spent time in USA already. Not sure why they need to spend lot of time on these cases. Sorry for the Monday morning rant. I am just fed-up navigating through all these scenarios.

PS: They haven't sent any IL's yet for EB so not sure last month was one-off. I want to see pattern that they are focusing on EB cases for at least 3 months before I get my hopes high :)

28 minutes ago, viksaw said:

Yes. This makes sense.

Looking at the current Canadian citizenship timelines, it looks like I should get Oath invitation in next 3 months. Best case scenario if MTL moves 3 months per month then I should get invite in ~5 months (June 2021 DQ). So most likely I will be Canadian citizen by then. I never anticipated to be in this scenario but MTL took just too long and Canada citizenship moved much faster then anticipated (I applied in Sept 2021).

I LOVE Canadian immigration. They are quick to adapt to any circumstances. In pandemic they started doing online citizenship test and online Oath ceremonies. I am sure MTL can learn a thing or two from Canadian immigration.

Its not a rocket science. I am sure if you and I take a look at all pending MTL applications, we can surely find out 60-70% applications are straightforward/clean and should be able to take online interview and move them forward. Canada should be one of the low fraud countries. For rest of them they should call for physical interview. They surely need to adjust their process to fit the circumstances. Especially EB categories has lot of documentation from employer and many of us have already spent time in USA already. Not sure why they need to spend lot of time on these cases. Sorry for the Monday morning rant. I am just fed-up navigating through all these scenarios.

PS: They haven't sent any IL's yet for EB so not sure last month was one-off. I want to see pattern that they are focusing on EB cases for at least 3 months before I get my hopes high :)

We feel the same way. We’ve suffered the backlog too long. In addition to London, Guangzhou also cleaned up within couple months. 

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone want to take bets on the odds on whether we get the auto-generated NVC email today before any interview letters from the consulate? 

Also a question for those who know more or are currently working in the US. The only part of the interview process where I'd have to be in Canada is after the interview? Theoretically it's possible to fly back, do the medical exam, go back to the US, and then reenter right before the interview? 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, corg said:

Anyone want to take bets on the odds on whether we get the auto-generated NVC email today before any interview letters from the consulate? 

Also a question for those who know more or are currently working in the US. The only part of the interview process where I'd have to be in Canada is after the interview? Theoretically it's possible to fly back, do the medical exam, go back to the US, and then reenter right before the interview? 

I am not so sure about that. It depends on covid restrictions. Sometimes consulate/medical centers asks for if you traveled to other country in last 14 days. Also Canada might ask for 14 days home quarantine. Its always tricky with covid.

Timeline
2 hours ago, viksaw said:

Yes. This makes sense.

Yes, IRCC is way better than USCIS, although both have their faults.

You are probably a PR through express entry, same as me. I received my Canadian PR just 2.5 months after applying. No comparison of that timeline to US PR applications…

Timeline
1 hour ago, viksaw said:

I am not so sure about that. It depends on covid restrictions. Sometimes consulate/medical centers asks for if you traveled to other country in last 14 days. Also Canada might ask for 14 days home quarantine. Its always tricky with covid.

Yes, it’s tough. Currently, restrictions are mostly lifted for vaccinated travellers, so you should be good. But there is still a chance you could be selected for random testing when crossing the border, and should you be found positive, you would need to isolate for 10 days.

@corg For your information though Montreal follows whatever is the regulation at the federal and provincial level. The only question they ask you when at the consulate is whether you are in compliance of all the current Govt COVID regulations, and should you answer in the affirmative, you are allowed to enter. They don’t ask for travel in last 14 days etc. 

As long as Canada and Quebec doesn’t need you to quarantine for 14 days after international travel, the consulate doesn’t expect it.

Timeline
22 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Yes, it’s tough. Currently, restrictions are mostly lifted for vaccinated travellers, so you should be good. But there is still a chance you could be selected for random testing when crossing the border, and should you be found positive, you would need to isolate for 10 days.

@corg For your information though Montreal follows whatever is the regulation at the federal and provincial level. The only question they ask you when at the consulate is whether you are in compliance of all the current Govt COVID regulations, and should you answer in the affirmative, you are allowed to enter. They don’t ask for travel in last 14 days etc. 

As long as Canada and Quebec doesn’t need you to quarantine for 14 days after international travel, the consulate doesn’t expect it.

Just curious, how do they return the passport when someone travels to Canada just for interview? Do they send passport to the address we mentioned on DS-260 or there is any opportunity to update address to friends address.

On 3/9/2022 at 3:00 PM, vancitycdn8 said:

Wow this is amazing!!!! Sooooo incredibly close! DQ date is March 1, 2020. Fingers crossed @Sorrel and I receive our ILs by the end of this month! Does anybody know if I can or should start the process of getting another RCMP certificate now since it has taken really long for others?

Just looking at spread sheet and you were above me and you do not seem to be on spreadsheet along with a number of others further down, do you know the reason?  

12 minutes ago, dcisw said:

Hi all, 

Wanted to give an update on my interview.  It went well and I was approved!  The people at the consulate were very nice and friendly.  They asked for originals of my civil documents (birth certificate, marriage, etc.), original updated police clearance and employment letter.  Took my fingerprints then sat down again to wait for the officer interview.  Waited about 10 minutes and then spoke with the officer who was also very nice.  Asked me about the job position and educational background.  Took about 5 minutes and then said I was approved and to wait for my passport to arrive in about 2 weeks.  Very efficient process (for me at least) - in and out within 30 minutes.  I checked my visa application status on the CEAC website and it's changed to "Issued".

I wanted to thank this community for the great support and information sharing over these past 2-3 years.  I wish everyone the best of luck and much future success!!

Congratulations! BTW, how long is your RCMP certificate valid? Thanks. 

19 minutes ago, dcisw said:

Hi all, 

Wanted to give an update on my interview.  It went well and I was approved!  The people at the consulate were very nice and friendly.  They asked for originals of my civil documents (birth certificate, marriage, etc.), original updated police clearance and employment letter.  Took my fingerprints then sat down again to wait for the officer interview.  Waited about 10 minutes and then spoke with the officer who was also very nice.  Asked me about the job position and educational background.  Took about 5 minutes and then said I was approved and to wait for my passport to arrive in about 2 weeks.  Very efficient process (for me at least) - in and out within 30 minutes.  I checked my visa application status on the CEAC website and it's changed to "Issued".

I wanted to thank this community for the great support and information sharing over these past 2-3 years.  I wish everyone the best of luck and much future success!!

Congratulations!  Thank you for the update and good luck in your future endeavors!

Timeline
2 hours ago, viksaw said:

Just curious, how do they return the passport when someone travels to Canada just for interview? Do they send passport to the address we mentioned on DS-260 or there is any opportunity to update address to friends address.

Memory is a little hazy but IIRC, when you register for the appointment, you can update the address to one that you want to receive the passport. This can be a Canada post location. Costs 25$ extra to deliver to a residential address (which I suppose can be a friend’s address).

Also vaguely remember, the person picking up the passport (courier) has to have an ID with the name matching the courier registration…

Sorry, don’t remember details clearly, but when you register for the appointment and courier it will all become clear to you. (The link to register only becomes available once you are Sent the interview letter). 

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.