Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
29 minutes ago, CanadianMD said:

Has anyone with EB petitions successfully expedited their DS260 with the Montreal consulate due to the nature of their work (e.g. healthcare worker in pandemic)?

I tried once on my own last August and no luck.  My lawyer submitted one directly to the consulate 3 weeks ago, but have not received a response and I am doubtful we will.  The Senator's office where we are moving to has also inquired with NVC about an expedited interview due to the nature of my work, but have not heard back from them either and they are doubtful they will have any luck.  I'll keep you posted.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, 3LabMom said:

I tried once on my own last August and no luck.  My lawyer submitted one directly to the consulate 3 weeks ago, but have not received a response and I am doubtful we will.  The Senator's office where we are moving to has also inquired with NVC about an expedited interview due to the nature of my work, but have not heard back from them either and they are doubtful they will have any luck.  I'll keep you posted.

Are you a healthcare professional? 

“Health care professionals who will work at a facility engaged in COVID-19 response and have an approved U.S. immigrant visa petition with a current priority date for an Immediate Relative, Family Preference, or Employment-Based Preference case may review the website of their nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for procedures to request an emergency visa appointment. More details are included on the State Department’s webpage.” 

https://www.aha.org/news/headline/2021-09-01-ahas-urging-state-department-says-immigrant-visas-health-care

The link to the State Department website appears to have been taken down though.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, CanadianMD said:

Are you a healthcare professional? 

“Health care professionals who will work at a facility engaged in COVID-19 response and have an approved U.S. immigrant visa petition with a current priority date for an Immediate Relative, Family Preference, or Employment-Based Preference case may review the website of their nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for procedures to request an emergency visa appointment. More details are included on the State Department’s webpage.” 

https://www.aha.org/news/headline/2021-09-01-ahas-urging-state-department-says-immigrant-visas-health-care

The link to the State Department website appears to have been taken down though.

I am not a health care professional.  However, I provide services to critical infrastructure, which is why our lawyer and the Senator's office are trying for the expedite.  Honestly, I doubt either of them will be successful, but anything is worth trying at this point.  I am hopeful Montreal will speed things up like the UK has done.  Looks like they are caught up to 2022 DQ dates now if I read one of the posts correctly on one of their boards for EB visas.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, 3LabMom said:

I am not a health care professional.  However, I provide services to critical infrastructure, which is why our lawyer and the Senator's office are trying for the expedite.  Honestly, I doubt either of them will be successful, but anything is worth trying at this point.  I am hopeful Montreal will speed things up like the UK has done.  Looks like they are caught up to 2022 DQ dates now if I read one of the posts correctly on one of their boards for EB visas.

Yeah I think USCIS is very strict about these rulings. I would imagine that a physician who does not work with COVID patients, won’t qualify either even though they are healthcare workers.

Are you able to provide a link to the post which shows London catching up to their 2022 DQ cases? How large of a gap did they manage to close and over what time period? Thanks.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, CanadianMD said:

Yeah I think USCIS is very strict about these rulings. I would imagine that a physician who does not work with COVID patients, won’t qualify either even though they are healthcare workers.

Are you able to provide a link to the post which shows London catching up to their 2022 DQ cases? How large of a gap did they manage to close and over what time period? Thanks.

I sometimes wonder if it depends on which person looks at the expedite request or if they just say no to all of them to make it easier for them.  I've attached the link, scroll to the end.  Looks like a Feb 2022 got an interview already.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, 3LabMom said:

I sometimes wonder if it depends on which person looks at the expedite request or if they just say no to all of them to make it easier for them.  I've attached the link, scroll to the end.  Looks like a Feb 2022 got an interview already.

Thanks for sharing. It seems like they were able to clear 1 year of backlog within 2-3 months. Very promising.

image.thumb.png.59e0490c3260a43c5d6cbb6e7994d223.png

Here's an update to compare the two consulates

35 minutes ago, CanadianMD said:

Anyone here has experience with accepted expedited request for EB1 petition ? Do you  know what would be the process  after accepting the request and the timeline? Thanks

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am a Indian national with DQ in June 2020. I am also in the process of getting Canadian citizenship. I just passed my Canadian citizenship exam and waiting for Oath. Looking at the way things are going, I might get my Canadian citizenship before I get IL from Montreal. Since India doesn't allow dual citizenship, I will need to renounce Indian citizenship.

Since I submitted my DS-260 with Indian passport details (and nationality as India), will that cause any issues when I eventually get IL? There is no way to update DS-260 after its submitted.

Timeline
30 minutes ago, viksaw said:

I am a Indian national with DQ in June 2020. I am also in the process of getting Canadian citizenship. I just passed my Canadian citizenship exam and waiting for Oath. Looking at the way things are going, I might get my Canadian citizenship before I get IL from Montreal. Since India doesn't allow dual citizenship, I will need to renounce Indian citizenship.

Since I submitted my DS-260 with Indian passport details (and nationality as India), will that cause any issues when I eventually get IL? There is no way to update DS-260 after its submitted.

I would email the Montreal Consulate to clarify. 

Alternatively, are you allowed to delay the renouncing of your Indian Citizenship? How would India find out? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
34 minutes ago, viksaw said:

No, a change in citizenship will likely not cause an issue.

Seeing as you only just passed the citizenship test, the oath could still be months (or in some cases even more than a year) away. So depending on how fast Montreal moves with EB interview, your citizenship might not change by the time of interview.

In case it does, bring your old Indian passport and your new Canadian passport to the interview to interview. (Your interview letter will be issued with your Indian passport as reference).  Also print out the DS-260 you submitted and mark it up with red pen with all the updates. Take this to the interview too and inform the CO. They will update the DS-260 for you. Your visa will be issued against your Canadian passport. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
18 minutes ago, CanadianMD said:

Alternatively, are you allowed to delay the renouncing of your Indian Citizenship? How would India find out? 

As I understand it, an Indian citizen has 90 days from the date of acquiring another citizenship to renounce their Indian citizenship. After that they are subject to penalties (monetary). These penalties are extracted at the time one eventually goes to the consulate for renunciation.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.