Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, corg said:

Those sound like nightmare scenarios. I am already working in the US so any delay seems untenable. There's no way I'd be able to come back to Canada a month in advance for a medical. Not to mention it looks like the consulate gives interview letters about a month before the date, so there's not much time to schedule a medical exam in either scenario.

This really makes me question why my company was so adamant that consular processing would be fine... 

Well yes, those are nightmare scenarios, and only 5% of applicants experienced something as drastic as DS-5535 prior to October 2021. Since then that percentage has apparently increased by a fair bit. So it is not so remote a possibility anymore. I was dead scared of being issued the DS-5535, and I was mentally prepared to deal with when I went to the interview. Thankfully, I dodged the bullet though.

I didn’t realise you were living in the US. Well in your case, should you be issued the DS-5535, you can ask to keep your passport. You can then return to the US on your current visa (whatever it is), and then return to Canada and give them your passport for stamping when you are approved. Again, most likely you will be approved on the spot, and will have no issues, but just saying, be mentally prepared for curve balls like these, which are becoming more common now at Montreal.

Now about the médicals, it usually isn’t hard to get a slot at short notice in my experience. I got my interview letter on a Wednesday and they offered me a slot for that very Friday. I did my medicals a little about 3 weeks before my interview. I know 4 weeks is not always possible, just saying try to book it for as early as you possibly can, because should your medicals results not arrive at the consulate by the date of your interview, you could be looking at a 3 month delay (again for some it is only a 2 week delay for for others it has been 3 months).

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, CaveMan2 said:

I'm confused about the fingerprints. When is this required? At the interview at the consulate, or beforehand? I've received my police certificate from Canada but did not get fingerprints. Still gathering documents for NVC

They will fingerprint you at the interview.  However, to get the correct police certificate from the RCMP it requires fingerprints to be submitted.  When you do this make sure to let the company you go to know that you are requesting the record for US immigration under the  Privacy Act.  It will need to include the "RCMP National Repository entire holdings."  Most fingerprint places should know what you need.  If you are in Calgary, I can send you the name of the place I use.  The lady that runs it is very knowledgeable and I have used her several times (I need fingerprints for my line of work often).

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, CaveMan2 said:

I am applying under EB2-NIW so it's a self petition. So if I'm understanding correctly, it's just fingerprints at the interview, and to ensure you get the correct police certificate. I was told by my immigration attorney just to get a standard police certificate which does not require fingerprints. 

Check out -https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html

It doesn’t matter which visa type you are applying for the police certificate requirements are the same for Canada. The one we need is issued by the RCMP whereas standard police name checks can be done by any police dept. I’m also a self petitioner but EB-1.

43 minutes ago, Tony05 said:

What a huge difference between Montreal and Guangzhou on EB! 

In anticipation of the IL's going out shortly, And in preparation for interview; it seems that there are five standard questions:

1.  What was your longest stay in USA

2.  What countries have you visited in the last five years

3.  Where will you live in USA

4.and 5. Vary depending on EB1,2 or 3.

for question  2.  Do they mean the last five years from the date of the interview? Or the original answer on your DS260?  Since it is now three years since we submitted documentation.

Also can you carry a piece of paper in listing the countries you have visited? Prior to COVID we had done a number of cruises with multiple stops.  Some countries we were only present a few hours, but they still stamped our passport.

1 hour ago, Sorrel said:

In anticipation of the IL's going out shortly, And in preparation for interview; it seems that there are five standard questions:

1.  What was your longest stay in USA

2.  What countries have you visited in the last five years

3.  Where will you live in USA

4.and 5. Vary depending on EB1,2 or 3.

for question  2.  Do they mean the last five years from the date of the interview? Or the original answer on your DS260?  Since it is now three years since we submitted documentation.

Also can you carry a piece of paper in listing the countries you have visited? Prior to COVID we had done a number of cruises with multiple stops.  Some countries we were only present a few hours, but they still stamped our passport.

I think they mean the date of the interview. You don’t need to list all the countries you visited for just a few hours.

On 3/11/2022 at 4:11 PM, Tony05 said:

I think they mean the date of the interview. You don’t need to list all the countries you visited for just a few hours.

Also do the photos for the medical exam have to be date stamped?  I had printed previous info that they just require 5 photos, but I now notice that there was an update, dated 02/18/2022 which says they now need to date stamped.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.