Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, pow123 said:

Have you tried expediting? Feel like the pandemic would’ve compelled them to approve it for a physician.

No I have not due to personal plans, but I will if I do not hear back by May.

Timeline

Update on consulate website:

• It is not possible to provide precise wait times for immigrant visa appointments, as facilities, staffing resources, and local conditions all affect capacity and scheduling. As of February 4, 2022, most Immediate Relative and fiancé(e) visa cases being scheduled for interview in Montreal were documentarily qualified at the National Visa Center in January 2022. Most Family Preference and Employment cases scheduled for interview were documentarily qualified in November 2019.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, dcisw said:

• It is not possible to provide precise wait times for immigrant visa appointments, as facilities, staffing resources, and local conditions all affect capacity and scheduling. As of February 4, 2022, most Immediate Relative and fiancé(e) visa cases being scheduled for interview in Montreal were documentarily qualified at the National Visa Center in January 2022. Most Family Preference and Employment cases scheduled for interview were documentarily qualified in November 2019.

If they process one month of DQ'ed cases per month, I anticipate to receive my IL on Nov. 2022. That's 7.5 years of waiting and 7.5 years of separating with my mum. That's just speechless and beyond disappointment. Thanks Montreal Post 🙂

Edited by 204

1 hour ago, 204 said:

If they process one month of DQ'ed cases per month, I anticipate to receive my IL on Nov. 2022. That's 7.5 years of waiting and 7.5 years of separating with my mum. That's just speechless and beyond disappointment. Thanks Montreal Post 🙂

Could we let them know by tweeting @ USConsulate Montreal? 

1 hour ago, 204 said:

IMHO, even we post our concerns, the Montreal Post won't care... 

what ever happened to all the letters we sent?  Also why are people getting the dreaded DS5535 when the consulate has had/or should have had time to find the answers to most of the questions themselves! (if there is a duplication of names, and the person is on a watch list, shouldn't they confirm that the interviewee is not that person!). 

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Sorrel said:

what ever happened to all the letters we sent?  Also why are people getting the dreaded DS5535 when the consulate has had/or should have had time to find the answers to most of the questions themselves! (if there is a duplication of names, and the person is on a watch list, shouldn't they confirm that the interviewee is not that person!). 

I heard nothing. I think we just threw a stone into the ocean. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Sorrel said:

Also why are people getting the dreaded DS5535 when the consulate has had/or should have had time to find the answers to most of the questions themselves! (if there is a duplication of names, and the person is on a watch list, shouldn't they confirm that the interviewee is not that person!). 

The consulate does not look at your application at all until the day of your interview.

It is during the interview that the computer tells them whether you are to be issued the DS-5535 or not.

They are not always able to verify if you are the same person or not when at the interview since they do not have fingerprints of every person on the watch list. They look into your background and history, and check for overlaps with the concerned person to make sure you are not the same, and that takes time especially if multiple countries are involved. And especially if any of those countries don’t have a good record or do not cooperate with the US Govt as much.

There appears to have been a disproportionate increase in issuances of DS-5535 to Canadians as compared to people interviewing in other countries since about October 2021. Personally I believe it is because US intelligence has some information of security threat originating from Canada, but that’s really speculation based on what I have been closely observing.

It is indeed all very frustrating and infuriating though. There should be a more efficient way to screen (if it is indeed effective or needed). They can do all this right from when the first petition is submitted…

But it is the way it is, and we have people waiting indefinitely after the interview for their visas.

That being said, we have been seeing some clearances coming in rapid succession in the last couple of weeks, so hopefully things will improve.

To understand more about the DS-5535 and what it entails, read this thread:

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

47 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

The consulate does not look at your application at all until the day of your interview.

It is during the interview that the computer tells them whether you are to be issued the DS-5535 or not.

They are not always able to verify if you are the same person or not when at the interview since they do not have fingerprints of every person on the watch list. They look into your background and history, and check for overlaps with the concerned person to make sure you are not the same, and that takes time especially if multiple countries are involved. And especially if any of those countries don’t have a good record or do not cooperate with the US Govt as much.

There appears to have been a disproportionate increase in issuances of DS-5535 to Canadians as compared to people interviewing in other countries since about October 2021. Personally I believe it is because US intelligence has some information of security threat originating from Canada, but that’s really speculation based on what I have been closely observing.

It is indeed all very frustrating and infuriating though. There should be a more efficient way to screen (if it is indeed effective or needed). They can do all this right from when the first petition is submitted…

But it is the way it is, and we have people waiting indefinitely after the interview for their visas.

That being said, we have been seeing some clearances coming in rapid succession in the last couple of weeks, so hopefully things will improve.

To understand more about the DS-5535 and what it entails, read this thread:

Thanks!  Let's all hope for the best!

On 2/4/2022 at 7:23 PM, Blueeyes1989 said:

@Gha November 2019 DQ. Can you also add your timeline in this link? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14yZKxht6igwJPXPU0EehKmmN2hx1g3EchEuB5G0yNO4/edit#gid=0

@Blueeyes1989 Hi, so i am in the F11 category, Jan 2022 DQ'd, is my info relative to this spreadsheet? if so please add it

Am I looking at the same wait times as F2 visas?

Timeline
On 2/5/2022 at 7:57 AM, dcisw said:

Thank you for posting this. I don't understand how Consulates can allow there to be such a large discrepancy. 1 month for IR1/CR1, vs 26 months for EB/FB. Who is making these decisions?

Edited by CanadianMD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.