Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Blueeyes1989 said:

@VA21202 IR/CR do have some DQs in January 2022. I won't be surprised it they get ILs this month. 

Oh wow yup you’re right, I just didn’t think so check another tab, they’re on a freaking 2022 tab and we are stuck in 2019 🤣 

Thanks for that, and oh yeah I hope their Jan DQs get IL this month….there’s no way they’re moving on to EB without it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Sorrel said:

The interview is scheduled for March 2, 2022!  Two month wait compared to over two years!

You have to keep in mind that the wait was 12 months for IR1/CR1 just three months ago, and that for a category that is the consulate's highest priority and by far with the largest number of cases.

It is great news for EB that the wait for IR1/CR1 has reduced to 2-4 months now, as that is a sign of reducing wait times in future for the other categories of lower priority.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Blueeyes1989 said:

@VA21202 IR/CR do have some DQs in January 2022. I won't be surprised it they get ILs this month. 

There are number of November DQs who have not received ILs though. 

This has been something we have been seeing, where people have been getting skipped over for later DQs with interview scheduling. It's the most heartbreaking thing, because NVC nor MTL helps in those cases.

Timeline

General question - Why don't the EBs waiting here apply for TN visa and work in the US while waiting for the interview. We have had some IR1/CR1 applicants do that. Not everyone applying for IR1/CR1 are eligible for TN, which is why it is not common, but I imagine the majority of those applying for EB would be among the list of 60 professions eligible. Maybe I am missing something, but what is stopping you from applying for TN?  

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
21 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

General question - Why don't the EBs waiting here apply for TN visa and work in the US while waiting for the interview. We have had some IR1/CR1 applicants do that. Not everyone applying for IR1/CR1 are eligible for TN, which is why it is not common, but I imagine the majority of those applying for EB would be among the list of 60 professions eligible. Maybe I am missing something, but what is stopping you from applying for TN?  

That's a somewhat workable solution - I am doing that myself. However it's a little tricky since TN is not dual intent and you need to demonstrate that your purpose for seeking TN status is temporary, and that you will return to your home country. Consular processing allows you to justify that intent, since you need to return to Canada for the green card interview. I think it's also possible to do AOS, but it gets murky and you cannot leave the country during the process. 

The problem for us is that my SO is here on TD status, which basically means she can go to school or stay at home. It's been like that for 4 years now, which places an unnecessary financial burden on this situation. It also requires your spouse to either put a 4 year pause on their careers, or seek H1B or TN status themselves. 

Timeline
35 minutes ago, corg said:

That's a somewhat workable solution - I am doing that myself. However it's a little tricky since TN is not dual intent and you need to demonstrate that your purpose for seeking TN status is temporary, and that you will return to your home country. Consular processing allows you to justify that intent, since you need to return to Canada for the green card interview. I think it's also possible to do AOS, but it gets murky and you cannot leave the country during the process. 

The problem for us is that my SO is here on TD status, which basically means she can go to school or stay at home. It's been like that for 4 years now, which places an unnecessary financial burden on this situation. It also requires your spouse to either put a 4 year pause on their careers, or seek H1B or TN status themselves. 

That makes sense - the spouse’s inability to work can be a real deterrent for this path…

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

2 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

TN requires sponsorship and sometimes, the most suitable jobs may not come with sponsorship.

For instance, physicians qualify for TN visa, but are limited to only 20% clinical practice (seeing patients), and 80% research/teaching.

Timeline
1 hour ago, CanadianMD said:

TN requires sponsorship and sometimes, the most suitable jobs may not come with sponsorship.

For instance, physicians qualify for TN visa, but are limited to only 20% clinical practice (seeing patients), and 80% research/teaching.

Interesting! I had no idea about this, and wonder why they impose this limitation when there is a dearth of physicians in the states.

I am an architect and know that we have no limitations on the kind of jobs while on TN visas

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Interesting! I had no idea about this, and wonder why they impose this limitation when there is a dearth of physicians in the states.

I am an architect and know that we have no limitations on the kind of jobs while on TN visas

I'm not entirely sure why either. It seems specific to physicians to have such a specific % composition.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.