Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, kachab said:

Hi all. 

Good news, I got my interview letter this morning after being stuck at the NVC for over 2 years! Jan 19th at 10am. 

This is amazing news!!  Congratulations.  Hopefully we see more movement in January as there can't be that many of us.

59 minutes ago, KDEE said:

Any ideas??

I don't think it matters since they are not even asking for W-2's (or T-4's) in the list of documents you have to bring to the interview for EB. They basically just ask you to bring the originals of the documents you submitted to be put in the queue at the NVC (birth certificate, police clearance certificates, letter from the US employer where you are going to be working after getting the GC, etc). I would think that if not having any W-2's (hence not having worked in the US) was an issue, it would have come up in your greencard application way earlier in the process. In addition, since you are getting the green card via consular processing (outside the US), it is to be expected that one doesn't have any W-2's in that case. If you were getting it through adjustment of status within the US, then not having any W-2 would definitely be fishy! 

My attorney told me that the EB interview is basically just to check that you really are who the application claims you to be and do a last check to see there is nothing fraudulent. They are not there to re-check if you are eligible for the greencard. That was the point of all of the other steps of the process. Not much reason to lose sleep over it if you have all the documents requested and nothing comes up in your medical, the interview is just a formality at this point. At the moment, the hard  and frustrating part is getting the actual interview!! 

On 12/15/2021 at 1:50 PM, New_123 said:

hi @Yu&Do

Thanks for sharing your experience! 

I have a quick question : I see the time between your case completion and interview date is about two years (maybe a little more?).
1.Did you have to get new PCCs for those you had already submitted?
2.If yes, how did you get them in the short time frame between your interview letter date and actual interview date?

lastly, question open to anyone who can answer:
3.if you enter the country that you already have a PCC for (and staying for not more than six months there), do you need to get a new PCC?

hi @kachab, hearty congratulations on getting the IL! 

Would you be able to help with the above query with regards to Police Clearance Certificate?

1 hour ago, New_123 said:

hi @kachab, hearty congratulations on getting the IL! 

Would you be able to help with the above query with regards to Police Clearance Certificate?

Hi @New_123

This is what the Department of State say on their website regarding the PCC. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

image.thumb.png.c4be6bad310211be27c0e23cf6969b9c.png

The NVC letter I got in 2019 when they confirmed that I was DQed and put in the queue for the interview said the same thing, but it said that the PCCs were expiring after 1 year instead of 2. I don't take any chance, and still consider them to be valid for 1 year. This is also what my attorney told me. However, I think I remember seeing on the IR1/CR1 VJ thread someone saying they went to their interview with PCCs which were a bit older than 1 year, but less than 2, and did not have issues. 

In my case, I am a Canadian living in the US, but I have also lived a few years in the UK and Netherlands. In mid-2019, I did get PCC's from Canada, UK and NL and sent copies of them to the NVC as requested. Because I haven't gone back at all to the UK and NL since then, I did not get  a new PCC from there, but I did get a new one in March 2021 from Canada (I stupidly thought at the time that my interview would be coming anytime soon....! :)) It took about a month to get the new Canadian PCC from the RCMP, but I think that if you get fingerprinted  in Canada at a company that submits directly to the RCMP, it is quicker than that. In my case, I did it from the US and had to Fedex everything to a Canadian fingerprinting who then sent it to the RCMP. After the RCMP has the info, it takes only a few days to issue the certificate, unless they find something in their records. 

I am not sure if just going back for a short vacation to one of the countries you lived in would trigger the need to get a new PCC. If one takes literally what they say above, if you haven't gone back to LIVE in that country, you don't need a new PCC, but it is probably a grey area which leaves room for interpretation. Your attorney should be able to advise in this case. If you can get PCC's relatively easily, it would be worth getting new ones even if it just to give you some peace of mind! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.