JasonGG

Airline Tickets After Visa

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm not sure where to post this question, but figured a lot of people coming to this forum are also in the process of figuring this out . . .

I will fly to Vietnam in June to accompany my fiance and her daughter back to the U.S. in July.  Do I buy one round trip ticket for myself online (Washington DC - Vietnam - Washington DC) and then hope I can book 2 one-way tickets (Vietnam - Washington DC) on the same flight in adjoining seats after completing my purchase.  Or do I need to make this purchase over the phone with one of the travel booking sites or directly with the airline to guarantee we are sitting together.

I have used JustFly and CheapOAir in the past, but Cheapoair doesn't allow 1-way tickets originating from Vietnam.  Justfly allows me to choose my seats, but I worry that in the time it takes to complete my purchase, adjoining seats won't be available for the return trip.  Any advice or recent experience available?

Thanks - Jason

Don't buy any tickets for your fiance until she has her visa in hand, just an advice. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Roel said:

Don't buy any tickets for your fiance until she has her visa in hand, just an advice. 

Yes, thank you.  She and her daughter were approved May 4 and the visas were issued last Monday.  Expecting them to be delivered this coming Monday or Tuesday and we are waiting until they arrive (without any typos)) before purchasing tickets.  Just wondering how others have done this once they have the visas in hand.

Thanks - Jason

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

Yes, thank you.  She and her daughter were approved May 4 and the visas were issued last Monday.  Expecting them to be delivered this coming Monday or Tuesday and we are waiting until they arrive (without any typos)) before purchasing tickets.  Just wondering how others have done this once they have the visas in hand.

Thanks - Jason

Do you really think that the tickets will sell that fast for that flight?  I mean we are talking minutes. 

YMMV

Timeline
35 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Do you really think that the tickets will sell that fast for that flight?  I mean we are talking minutes. 

Yes, which is one reason why I am asking the question.   Also the available tickets differ depending on one way and round trip.

Considering your response, can I assume you had a similar situation?  Did you order online or have to contact someone by phone to make sure you got your seats together.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

Yes, which is one reason why I am asking the question.   Also the available tickets differ depending on one way and round trip.

Considering your response, can I assume you had a similar situation?  Did you order online or have to contact someone by phone to make sure you got your seats together.

Calling and talking to an agent will guarantee you what you want.  I did it off of two different sessions of the booking site and booked the flights only minutes apart and did my seat selection right away.  With the changes in airline rules, some "class" of tickets do not allow advance seat selection so be careful

YMMV

You can call like expedia and book over phone with your situation.  You can then also book most legs with the agent. Some airlines do not allow seat selection.

My fiance just arrived the other day from vietnam and she flew with Japan airlines then two legs with american airlines.  Japan did not allow seat selection but AA requested seats for us and she was able to sit at requested seats.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
19 hours ago, JasonGG said:

I'm not sure where to post this question, but figured a lot of people coming to this forum are also in the process of figuring this out . . .

I will fly to Vietnam in June to accompany my fiance and her daughter back to the U.S. in July.  Do I buy one round trip ticket for myself online (Washington DC - Vietnam - Washington DC) and then hope I can book 2 one-way tickets (Vietnam - Washington DC) on the same flight in adjoining seats after completing my purchase.  Or do I need to make this purchase over the phone with one of the travel booking sites or directly with the airline to guarantee we are sitting together.

I have used JustFly and CheapOAir in the past, but Cheapoair doesn't allow 1-way tickets originating from Vietnam.  Justfly allows me to choose my seats, but I worry that in the time it takes to complete my purchase, adjoining seats won't be available for the return trip.  Any advice or recent experience available?

Thanks - Jason

We booked ours through OneTravel.  As others said, go with a travel company that you can speak with to explain.  They'll be able to get you together.

Mike & Tuyen

First Meeting

Second Meeting

Engaged

I-129F Sent :

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2 :                              

NVC # Received

Interview Date   

Interview Result

Visa in Hand 

POE SFO                        

Married!!!!!!!

AOS/EAP/AP Mailed

AOS/EAP/AP NOA1

Biometrics Portland

Interview Portland

2016-09-30TuyenMike.jpg.07bbb29ef41b057de949396e27a8063c.jpg

2017-02-14

2017-02-18

2017-04-17

2017-04-24

2017-09-18

2017-09-30

2017-10-20

APPROVED!!!!!

2017-10-28

2017-11-14

2017-12-04

2018-02-02

2018-02-17

2018-03-14

2018-05-10

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

When I have flown, and I fly a lot, when ever I had to buy another ticket for the same flight I almost always did it online wherever I could find it the cheapest, and when you check in at the airport make sure you are there just a little earlier than most people, and check in together and ask for seats next to each other. I would say 99% of the time it was never a problem to get adjoining seats. No matter what you pick online, if you read the contract of carriage for most airlines, your seats are not really guaranteed until you check in at the counter.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

No matter what you pick online, if you read the contract of carriage for most airlines, your seats are not really guaranteed until you check in at the counter.

Check-in.  Period.  Online as well not just at the counter

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
20 hours ago, payxibka said:

Right... this is a non issue. And if it does, well big whoop. Ask the airline at check in, or people on the plane to change seats, or fly apart anyways. It’s not like it will kill you. Or like you can’t get up from your seat. It’s just a flight.

Edited by TNJ17

21 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

Right... this is a non issue. And if it does, well big whoop. Ask the airline at check in, or people on the plane to change seats, or fly apart anyways. It’s not like it will kill you. Or like you can’t get up from your seat. It’s just a flight.

Agreed. Just buy the tickets and consider sitting together to be a bonus that may or may not happen (and it probably will - I work for an airline so I know how it works). You’ve managed this long apart - another 15 hours or so won’t kill you. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Purchased our flight tickets through ASAP..RT to Nigeria for myself and one-way ticket for my husband from Nigeria to America..Agent couldn't get us seated together on our returned flights, but the agent at the counter for Emirates got us seated for the first and second leg of our our flights..I know people say it's just a 15 hour flight, but consider the fact that my husband has never flown before and I wanted to make sure our 24 to 25 hours flight was pleasurable for the both of us..You may or may not find someone who wants to flip seats, but doesn't hurt to try..However, you can try it like I did by speaking with the agent counter by seating you together..Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

U could also try speaking with the airline directly and see if you can purchase the tickets for a 1 way for your wife and daughter. Or you could have her speak with the airline in VN directly and see if they can put her on the same flight and buy a one way ticket.

K-1 Visa Timeline

I-129F Received : 2014-08-29

NOA1 : 2014-09-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-10-07

NVC Received : 2014-10-30

Paid visa fee $265 : 2014-11-19

Submitted DS-160 Form 2014-11-19

Interview scheduled - 2015-1-22

Visa Issued and in Hand on 2015-1-31!!       

AOS Timeline

Mailed out AOS Package to USCIS to Chicago Lockbox with tracking and signature 2015-05-09

Received email and text notification of AOS package 2015-05-15

Received hard copy of NOA1's for 3 AOS packet 2015-05-21

Successful Biometrics walk in SF Field Office on 2015-06-03

Got email notification AOS interview scheduled on 2015-09-03

Green Card in Hand - 2015-10-14!!! YAY!!!

I-751 ( ROC )

July 8, 2017 mailed I-751 packet via USPS Priority Mail with Tracking #

July 10th, 2017 I-751 Package was delivered to PO Box to USCIS Laguna Niguel

July 12, 2017  Check cashed from CSC

July 13, 2017 Received NOA1 in the mail, NOA1 Dated July 10th

February 26, 2018 case transferred to local office

August 17, 2018 Received new extension letter

September 19, 2018 Case transferred and new office has jurisdiction

September 24th, 2018 Received case transfer notice in the mail to Texas Center

October 17, 2018 Card in Production APPROVED!!! WHOO-WHOO!!!!:dance::dance:

NO RFE or Interview on ROC I751!!!

October 22nd, 2018 USPS tracking updated GC to arrive on Oct 24th!

October 23rd, 2018 Green Card in Hand!!

N-400

Dec 15th, 2018 Filed online and got NOA1

Dec 21st, 2018 Biometrics Appointment scheduled online scheduled for Jan 9th 2019

Jan 2nd, 2019 Successful Biometrics walk in

September 27, 2019 Interview Scheduled for Nov 8, 2019

Interview on Nov 8, 2019 Passed! :dance::wow:

Oath Ceremony scheduled on Dec 12, 2019

Attended Oath Ceremony Officially a US Citizen! :wow::dance:

Applied for US Passport Dec 12th, 2019

Passport in hand on Jan 17th, 2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.