Chris Duffy

PAL Seat Upgrade Auctions

26 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just booked mu flight on Cathay Pacific and they have the same thing.  Minimum bid for the long segment was $425 (a poor bid they said) which took me only from economy to premium economy

YMMV

1 hour ago, payxibka said:

I just booked mu flight on Cathay Pacific and they have the same thing.  Minimum bid for the long segment was $425 (a poor bid they said) which took me only from economy to premium economy

They asked me for $650 to upgrade to premium economy for a single long leg on roundtrip flight from Chicago to Hong Kong.  That was more than the cost of the entire roundtrip ticket and the seats were just slightly bigger than the regular economy seats.  I paid $150 for extra legroom at a door.

I am taking that same flight in 2 weeks and will probably do the same.  The roundtrip ticket cost me $950 this time and it will probably be over $1200 for my wedding flight in June.

My first roundtrip there in March of 2016 was only around $400 and I had a nice 6 hour daytime stay in Hawaii so I could explore a little.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
7 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

They asked me for $650 to upgrade to premium economy for a single long leg on roundtrip flight from Chicago to Hong Kong.  That was more than the cost of the entire roundtrip ticket and the seats were just slightly bigger than the regular economy seats.  I paid $150 for extra legroom at a door.

I am taking that same flight in 2 weeks and will probably do the same.  The roundtrip ticket cost me $950 this time and it will probably be over $1200 for my wedding flight in June.

My first roundtrip there in March of 2016 was only around $400 and I had a nice 6 hour daytime stay in Hawaii so I could explore a little.

My flight booked yesterday for next weekend was $790 RT from SFO.  But your right, as soon as school lets out, ticket prices skyrocket

Asiana just started ORD-INC service but the fares were not that spectacular

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

My flight booked yesterday for next weekend was $790 RT from SFO.  But your right, as soon as school lets out, ticket prices skyrocket

What do those tickets from SFO usually run?  It may be cheaper for me to do a red eye to SFO and fly from there.  I used to suggest people fly to Chicago and leave from here...times and prices have certainly changed.  

Even a "Buddy Pass" from United runs about $900 rt (Business Class).  Last year I did a 1st Class Buddy Pass for $400.  Still, Polaris Business Class for $900 is an awesome deal.  The issue is the flights aren't connected so I have to book HK to MNL separately and I will need time to get the bags and check in again at HK.  Missing a flight on a buddy pass is a major hassle.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

What do those tickets from SFO usually run?  It may be cheaper for me to do a red eye to SFO and fly from there.  I used to suggest people fly to Chicago and leave from here...times and prices have certainly changed.  

Even a "Buddy Pass" from United runs about $900 rt (Business Class).  Last year I did a 1st Class Buddy Pass for $400.  Still, Polaris Business Class for $900 is an awesome deal.  The issue is the flights aren't connected so I have to book HK to MNL separately and I will need time to get the bags and check in again at HK.  Missing a flight on a buddy pass is a major hassle.

First time I am doing SFO.  Previously if was going out of JFK.

I looked at LAX/SFO/SEA and found the best option at SFO though flights out of LAX were marginally cheaper, I simply could not get a inbound flight out of MSP to LAX to work.  I am on an unconnected ticket and that always is a risk.  I travel with only carry-on because I have a full and clean wardrobe waiting for me in Cebu.  I was talking to my SO this morning and I saw that she was taking all my clothes out of the storage bins and hanging them in the closet.  :)

YMMV

Very nice setup!  Now that I have more time with the CR-1, I may do the same. It will make travel a bit easier. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

Very nice setup!  Now that I have more time with the CR-1, I may do the same. It will make travel a bit easier. 

My SO shops Ukay Ukay.  She has done all the work.  Which is fine with me since I have no sense of style or color

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

My SO shops Ukay Ukay.  She has done all the work.  Which is fine with me since I have no sense of style or color

Boy do I hear that!  Rose is turning me into a much more fashionable guy.  She is the one who had me shave my head.  That is awesome.  I wish I had the confidence to do that years ago.  I did get my barong tagalog for the wedding.  I know I'm going to get it dirty!  It is who I am.  We will need to take pictures as soon as we get dressed.

IMG_5168.jpeg

22 hours ago, payxibka said:

I have heard of people having luck flying from west coast to PI and only biding like $350, that a pretty darn good deal if you can steal a first class seat to either japan or PI.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

21 hours ago, John & Rose said:

I try to fly Delta from Texas to Philippines due to it being on of the very few airlines that flies directly without using a airline during one of the legs.  I paid about $400 to upgrade to Delta Comfort, It gives you 4" more leg room.

A few years ago Delta upgraded me to First Class for no reason from Atlanta to Japan, it was very nice and your seat turned into a bed.  It was one of the airplane where you had to go upstairs to sit in the first class.   Last time I priced round trip from DFW to MNL it was over $8K for First class.

Edited by Chris Duffy

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

3 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

I try to fly Delta from Texas to Philippines due to it being on of the very few airlines that flies directly without using a airline during one of the legs.  I paid about $400 to upgrade to Delta Comfort, It gives you 4" more leg room.

A few years ago Delta upgraded me to First Class for no reason from Atlanta to Japan, it was very nice and your seat turned into a bed.  It was one of the airplane where you had to go upstairs to sit in the first class.   Last time I priced round trip from DFW to MNL it was over $8K for First class.

Nice!  A 747. Those are the smoothest flying planes I’ve ever been on. I think they are all retired now. I did United Polaris First Class on a buddy pass. That is truly the way to travel...if you have a few spare thousands. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
5 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

I have heard of people having luck flying from west coast to PI and only biding like $350, that a pretty darn good deal if you can steal a first class seat to either japan or PI.

I would do $350 for first in a heartbeat

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 5/12/2018 at 9:45 AM, John & Rose said:

Nice!  A 747. Those are the smoothest flying planes I’ve ever been on. I think they are all retired now. I did United Polaris First Class on a buddy pass. That is truly the way to travel...if you have a few spare thousands. 

Yup they are all retired in the USA.  We finally flew on a 747 last year.    The Marana "bone yard" is also a repair facility, just a few miles from where we lived in Tucson.

Hate linking to CNN, but here it is.  https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/delta-boeing-747-retirement-flight/index.html

787 Dreamliner is the replacement, but I wasn't impressed with the one we flew on in 2015

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.