2,323 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

soooo just mailed off adjustment of status and all other forms yesterday.... the vaccination stuff is so confusing, but my beaux had record of it. Were there more vaccinations one has to send in? I thought K1 didnt have to fill out vaccination form... we sent in vaccination documentation anyway. 

Timeline
12 hours ago, jean baptiste said:

here is an update. 

i seriously advise all of you leaving in portland area washington beaverton in you need a civil surgeon for the adjustment of status, please go to  INTERNAL MEDECINE CONSULTANT, P.C. doctor VANDANA Bindal,  BEAVERTON Commons 14355 Allen Blvd Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005 phone 503 320 2121. hey guys she knows what we need exactly. for the AOS make sure you have all your documents in english including lab test reslut an all she'll go trought it and tell you what you need. thx

we didnt go to any doctor :( his results are in english though... i just thought that if on k1 you dont have to see a doc out here again if you adjust within a year of your visa... 

2 minutes ago, EllyNelly said:

we didnt go to any doctor :( his results are in english though... i just thought that if on k1 you dont have to see a doc out here again if you adjust within a year of your visa... 

my medical exam prior to the visa were in TOGO and of course not in English but even if it's in English you have to go to a civil surgeon who will sign your for i-693 and if your prior medical exam is in between 6 months to 1 year you don't need another exam but you need the vaccination supplement. but here's the thing when you call those civil surgeons office, they to make you have another exam so i was calling until i get this one who accepted to review my previous medical exam ressults and basis on that she only make me go under a tuberculosis test again because the test is only valid for on month at a time

Timeline
24 minutes ago, jean baptiste said:

my medical exam prior to the visa were in TOGO and of course not in English but even if it's in English you have to go to a civil surgeon who will sign your for i-693 and if your prior medical exam is in between 6 months to 1 year you don't need another exam but you need the vaccination supplement. but here's the thing when you call those civil surgeons office, they to make you have another exam so i was calling until i get this one who accepted to review my previous medical exam ressults and basis on that she only make me go under a tuberculosis test again because the test is only valid for on month at a time

ah ok, i get. His exam was just barely a month old and he has the supplement paper. We kept the cd they provided as well. I was worried because it wouldnt make sense for him to take another exam (some doctors just want money) and his vaccination paper had all the exams filled out (Hep, TB, etc)

3 hours ago, EllyNelly said:

ah ok, i get. His exam was just barely a month old and he has the supplement paper. We kept the cd they provided as well. I was worried because it wouldnt make sense for him to take another exam (some doctors just want money) and his vaccination paper had all the exams filled out (Hep, TB, etc)

SEE that's the thing we don't receive the supplement in Togo BUT THANKFULLY  EVERYTHING IS FINE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
11 hours ago, Hemzi said:

Sorry for being so quiet guys, since POE, it's just been all things wedding! POE in Dallas was super easy, especially doing POE on a Sunday! 

I tried going for the SSN 2 days later, thought I'd chance my luck but I94 hadn't registered yet, so I will be going tomorrow morning which should be the 10th working day! 

But now stateside and all things wedding are going well, 16 days until the big day, hope everyone else's journey is going well? 

@UKUSABoston  Hope your fiance's interview goes well!

I didnt know you could get ssn 10 days after POE. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
15 hours ago, saeric said:

I didnt know you could get ssn 10 days after POE. 

You can go and apply for it :)

I've just been this morning and they have told me it will take up to 4 weeks to receive it.

Timeline
On 8/3/2018 at 10:57 AM, Hemzi said:

You can go and apply for it :)

I've just been this morning and they have told me it will take up to 4 weeks to receive it.

Oh that is great to know. It means you can apply for drivers license. how many days after POE are we supposed to apply actually? I an in texas too

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
23 minutes ago, saeric said:

Oh that is great to know. It means you can apply for drivers license. how many days after POE are we supposed to apply actually? I an in texas too

Oh nice! You can do it after 10 working days from POE, as it's important to get the SSN as soon as possible.

Hi all! We had our POE yesterday, finally :-) Can someone please guide me on the next steps we should take? I’m not sure what comes after this. Does he need to apply for a SSN before we do anything else? We are in Texas.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, TND said:

Hi all! We had our POE yesterday, finally 🙂 Can someone please guide me on the next steps we should take? I’m not sure what comes after this. Does he need to apply for a SSN before we do anything else? We are in Texas.

He should apply for an SSN because lots of paperwork (banks, insurance companies, and more) either requires an SSN or requires convincing people than an SSN isn't required. It's less urgent if he doesn't intend to change his name after marriage (if he does, you definitely want to get an SSN before marriage), but if you don't get an SSN before the 90 days from POE are up, you can't until you get EAD. What you should do is

1. Get an SSN
  2. Get married (within 90 days of POE)
  3. File for AOS (adjustment of status / conditional 2-year green card) and EAD (employment authorization document; lets beneficiary work before green card) and AP (advance parole; lets beneficiary travel outside the US before green card); do this as soon as you have your marriage certificate. EAD/AP normally takes 4-6 months; AOS normally takes 12-16 months. If you file for all at the same time, EAD & AP have no additional cost to file.
  4. Two years after getting conditional green card, beneficiary applies for removal of conditions and gets a ten-year green card
  5. Three years after getting conditional green card, beneficiary can apply for naturalization (citizenship) if they want to (and you're still married, of course).

Edited by DaveAndAnastasia
K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Coming Tuesday I will have my interview finally, I'm a bit nervous but also really excited the time is finally there. I hope to receive the Visa a couple of days later and when I do book the first available flight :)

Timeline
On 8/5/2018 at 12:49 AM, DaveAndAnastasia said:

He should apply for an SSN because lots of paperwork (banks, insurance companies, and more) either requires an SSN or requires convincing people than an SSN isn't required. It's less urgent if he doesn't intend to change his name after marriage (if he does, you definitely want to get an SSN before marriage), but if you don't get an SSN before the 90 days from POE are up, you can't until you get EAD. What you should do is

1. Get an SSN
  2. Get married (within 90 days of POE)
  3. File for AOS (adjustment of status / conditional 2-year green card) and EAD (employment authorization document; lets beneficiary work before green card) and AP (advance parole; lets beneficiary travel outside the US before green card); do this as soon as you have your marriage certificate. EAD/AP normally takes 4-6 months; AOS normally takes 12-16 months. If you file for all at the same time, EAD & AP have no additional cost to file.
  4. Two years after getting conditional green card, beneficiary applies for removal of conditions and gets a ten-year green card
  5. Three years after getting conditional green card, beneficiary can apply for naturalization (citizenship) if they want to (and you're still married, of course).

Please can you explain the name change thing you mentioned up there? I do not understand what you meant.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, saeric said:

Please can you explain the name change thing you mentioned up there? I do not understand what you meant.

If the beneficiary intends to change her (or his, but that's far less common) name as part of marriage, it's best to get a social security number before marriage so your name matches what's in their systems.

That's basically why most guides here recommend getting an SSN before getting married.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline
20 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

If the beneficiary intends to change her (or his, but that's far less common) name as part of marriage, it's best to get a social security number before marriage so your name matches what's in their systems.

That's basically why most guides here recommend getting an SSN before getting married.

Ok so that is what got me confused lol. In my case the beneficiary is the man and the petitioner is the woman. Does it still apply?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.