nick6147

Sending money

90 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, payxibka said:

I'm not going to loose any sleep over a 2 to 3 cents or so

$0.02 cents per dollar...yep not really a concern.  The fees are what matters.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

12 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Easy and expensive!  $4.99?

Western Union charges $12 to send $800. So $4.99 ain't that bad. However they're both stealing like 1.5k pesos from me with the bad exchange rate.

6 minutes ago, TVC said:

Western Union charges $12 to send $800. So $4.99 ain't that bad. However they're both stealing like 1.5k pesos from me with the bad exchange rate.

Remitly is free if you don't need it there for a day or $3.99 for instant.  I've sent $1000 for free with an exchange rate that is better than most.  The same $3.99 was for instant transfers of over $1000 too.  We were building a home there and sometimes they needed money right away.  I've never paid more than $3.99 for transfers with remitly.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

3 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Remitly is free or $3.99 for instant.  I've sent $1000 for free with an exchange rate that is better than most.  The same $3.99 was for instant transfers of over $1000 too.  We were building a home there and sometimes they needed money right away.  I've never paid more than $3.99 for transfers with remitly.

Where you guys building a home? How come you choose to build instead of buy a house already built?

9 minutes ago, TVC said:

Where you guys building a home? How come you choose to build instead of buy a house already built?

Because I'm American and want more than one electrical outlet per room!  I'm a little OCD and our place will have more of an American style kitchen and bath.  LOL  My wife has a home in Pateros that we are adding 2 floors to.  We are building in Subic.  It will be a "summer home"...LOL  

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
32 minutes ago, TVC said:

Wife's parents deeded the land to us

YMMV

I know a guy who built a really nice house in the province for 1.5 million pesos only. I think my wife and I will retire in the Philippines and maybe build a place. 30 years from now.

Edited by TVC

On 5/16/2020 at 4:48 PM, payxibka said:

Since then, Remitly conversion rates do not come close to WU.  WU currently does not charge any fees or service charges when sending money to and from a bank account. 

Do you do it through an app? I may check it out. I send from my bank to my wifes and I currently use Remitly. They have always had great service but if I can get 1 more peso in exchange I would change. Someone said they wont lose sleep over a few pennies but I send about 1k USD per month so an extra 1k peso's is important to me.

15 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Because I'm American and want more than one electrical outlet per room!  I'm a little OCD and our place will have more of an American style kitchen and bath.  LOL  My wife has a home in Pateros that we are adding 2 floors to.  We are building in Subic.  It will be a "summer home"...LOL  

Unless you are on site during the construction process, then the house will be PI style.  I had one built 20 years ago, the rooms were made too small once built, you couldn't even put a queen size bed in the room and open the door.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

@RO_AH

I think that was my quote, so I will reply to your question.  I have an account set up with WU through my computer.  I send money directly from my bank account to her bank account in the Phils.  I double checked to see if there are any charges for a larger amount like yours and the transaction is still no fees or service charges.  Now, there is a 0-6 business day wait for the transaction to take.  YMMV.  However, I just sent some cash on Saturday and she already received the deposit in her account as of this minute.  And WU has not even debited my account yet, being that it is the weekend here.  Not sure if 0-6 business days is acceptable to you, however me being Pake, I can live with that for Flee!

Aloha

Edited by Milmauka

7 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

Unless you are on site during the construction process, then the house will be PI style.  I had one built 20 years ago, the rooms were made too small once built, you couldn't even put a queen size bed in the room and open the door.

My step son is there and my wife's nephew will oversee the work.  I drew up some plans for it.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, RO_AH said:

Do you do it through an app? I may check it out. I send from my bank to my wifes and I currently use Remitly. They have always had great service but if I can get 1 more peso in exchange I would change. Someone said they wont lose sleep over a few pennies but I send about 1k USD per month so an extra 1k peso's is important to me.

I'd appreciate in the future not to be credited with a quote I did not make 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, John & Rose said:

My step son is there and my wife's nephew will oversee the work.  I drew up some plans for it.

Was the land expensive by Filipino standards?  Is the size of the lot, like less than 190 sqm?

10 minutes ago, Milmauka said:

Was the land expensive by Filipino standards?  Is the size of the lot, like less than 190 sqm?

Her parents deeded this land to her.  I'm not sure of all the details.  They have a relatively large area that will keep all the kids together.  She has 4 sisters and a brother who all have a piece of the property.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.