nick6147

Sending money

90 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
24 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

I used to use them when I worked in Afghanistan because the WU on base SUCKED big time. But that is what I found is that WU Online will consistently charge you more and hold your money for "security reasons" even though you have a verified account.

I think I used WU 2-3 times many years back before finding XOOM, used them until I found REMITLY   and if something better entices me ..  :lol:  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

18 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Online last time I checked was $25, that was a few years ago.

I go to grocery store and send WU and it's only $10

How much did you send. I was sending like $800 at a time and they regularly charged $50 to send it or I could wait in line at the base exchange for 2 hours to do it for $5.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Talako said:

I currently use Xoom.  It is not the cheapest, and the exchange rate isn't that great.  However, a couple of clicks on the computer and the transfer is done.

I've used WU in past, and I wasn't a fan.

Same for REMITLY .. only cheaper ;)       couple clicks on the computer or your smartphone and done.  

I still have a XOOM acct, just don't use it anymore... I keep more money in my pocket 

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

3 minutes ago, Talako said:

I currently use Xoom.  It is not the cheapest, and the exchange rate isn't that great.  However, a couple of clicks on the computer and the transfer is done.

I've used WU in past, and I wasn't a fan.

My wife says the same thing that it is a lot easier than anything else we have tried.

Timeline
Just now, cyberfx1024 said:

My wife says the same thing that it is a lot easier than anything else we have tried.

My wife and I have separate Remitly accounts, hers is setup to draw from her bank account and obviously mine from my acct.     XOOM works fine, just costs more.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

12 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Same for REMITLY .. only cheaper ;)       couple clicks on the computer or your smartphone and done.  

I still have a XOOM acct, just don't use it anymore... I keep more money in my pocket 

I'll check out Remitly.  Thanks

Finally done.

19 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

My wife and I have separate Remitly accounts, hers is setup to draw from her bank account and obviously mine from my acct.     XOOM works fine, just costs more.

I don't want anything set up or tied to my bank account

With WU there is no ID or anything required, you can send without having to put your name or personal information

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

23 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

How much did you send. I was sending like $800 at a time and they regularly charged $50 to send it or I could wait in line at the base exchange for 2 hours to do it for $5.

It's been long time since I sent over$300, but I can promise you I never paid more than $20 to send to Philippines, I have sent up to 900 bucks at a time.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

It's been long time since I sent over$300, but I can promise you I never paid more than $20 to send to Philippines, I have sent up to 900 bucks at a time.

$20 to send up to $900 ... OUCH!

4 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

I don't want anything set up or tied to my bank account

With WU there is no ID or anything required, you can send without having to put your name or personal information

With today's gubermint rules you can only do that with smaller amounts.  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Western union has never asked for anything, define smaller amounts

Where does the gubermint draw the line?   You stated earlier you have send $25k, or more. and for that you needed identity.  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

Where does the gubermint draw the line?   You stated earlier you have send $25k, or more. and for that you needed identity.  

That was bank Transfer, different game and set of rules

I was talking about money remit to other countries.

Timeline
Just now, Chris Duffy said:

That was bank Transfer, different game and set of rules

I was talking about money remit to other countries.

Still there is a line that if you cross it they will ask for ID .. go ask WU what their "number" is.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

10 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Still there is a line that if you cross it they will ask for ID .. go ask WU what their "number" is.

It probably depends on which country

Last time I traveled to Philippines I sent myself 3 Western Unions. $900, $800,$700. I did them at one time and nothing was asked from me, this was couple years ago.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Chris Duffy said:

It probably depends on which country

Last time I traveled to Philippines I sent myself 3 Western Unions. $900, $800,$700. I did them at one time and nothing was asked from me, this was couple years ago.

That is pocket change.   Hope you didn't pay $25 a crack for those.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.