nick6147

Sending money

90 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all, I was wondering what anyone thinks is the cheapest way to transfer money to a loved one overseas. I plan on this being a regular event in the future so I want to find the best way. Any way to deposit usd to a foreign account for a fair exchange rate? Thanks 

21 minutes ago, nick6147 said:

Hello all, I was wondering what anyone thinks is the cheapest way to transfer money to a loved one overseas. I plan on this being a regular event in the future so I want to find the best way. Any way to deposit usd to a foreign account for a fair exchange rate? Thanks 

Western Union, Remitly, etc...   In order for you to transfer dollars to a Philippines bank account you have to be listed on the account along with your significant other.  I know because I set up an account on my second visit there jointly with my wife in the Philippines.  I had to appear in person at the bank to open the joint account. My wife is here now so we closed that account in the Philippines on my last visit.  But to be honest it is easier and faster to use Western or Remitly.  You can save a little money by visiting your local Safeway store or other and using cash rather than doing it on-line.  But for me doing it on-line is easiest and we send money every month to my wife's family.  We just check which service is cheaper each time we are going to send money.  It is also less expensive to use a Debit Card on-line.  Just before sending we just check what the exchange rates are and the fees charged by the two services and then send based upon that.  Good luck. 

Edited by David & Zoila

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the PI forum, from Site Discussion - As other US/PI couples will be able to give their experience.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

3 hours ago, nick6147 said:

I'm with Xoom for years. Check this out if you are interested or not.

https://www.xoom.com/ 

9 hours ago, David & Zoila said:

Western Union, Remitly, etc...   In order for you to transfer dollars to a Philippines bank account you have to be listed on the account along with your significant other.  I know because I set up an account on my second visit there jointly with my wife in the Philippines.  I had to appear in person at the bank to open the joint account. My wife is here now so we closed that account in the Philippines on my last visit.  But to be honest it is easier and faster to use Western or Remitly.  You can save a little money by visiting your local Safeway store or other and using cash rather than doing it on-line.  But for me doing it on-line is easiest and we send money every month to my wife's family.  We just check which service is cheaper each time we are going to send money.  It is also less expensive to use a Debit Card on-line.  Just before sending we just check what the exchange rates are and the fees charged by the two services and then send based upon that.  Good luck. 

I have transferred large amount like over $25K to Philippines, it's called a wire transfer.  You can transfer it to any account you want,  You don't have to be on the account.  

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, nick6147 said:

Cheapest?  Hmm.

Of the ones I have used cheapest is REMITLY   

Remitly is 0 fee and the exchange is better

XOOM - their fee is $4.99 exchange rate is worse than Remitly

Company Pay with Bank Account Pay with Debit Card
Remitly $0 Economy $3.99 Express
Western Union $3.99 $7.00
Xoom $4.99 $5.99

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

I have transferred large amount like over $25K to Philippines, it's called a wire transfer.  You can transfer it to any account you want,  You don't have to be on the account.  

There is a $45 fee with that, plus a fee from the bank in the Philippines, for BDO that is + $5

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

6 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Cheapest?  Hmm.

Xoom $4.99 $5.99

Wow! I may try this one so is it involved via paypal? I will check this out and do my homework :D Thanks a lot Hank

Timeline
1 minute ago, deafguy72 said:

Wow! I may try this one so is it involved via paypal? I will check this out and do my homework :D Thanks a lot Hank

XOOM is owned by Paypal.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

10 hours ago, nick6147 said:

beggar.jpg

streetbeggar2.jpg

streetbeggar3.png

3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Cheapest?  Hmm.

Xoom $4.99 $5.99

If you use Western Union online it is more than just that.

22 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

I avoid WU like the plague.

I used to use them when I worked in Afghanistan because the WU on base SUCKED big time. But that is what I found is that WU Online will consistently charge you more and hold your money for "security reasons" even though you have a verified account.

5 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

I used to use them when I worked in Afghanistan because the WU on base SUCKED big time. But that is what I found is that WU Online will consistently charge you more and hold your money for "security reasons" even though you have a verified account.

Online last time I checked was $25, that was a few years ago.

I go to grocery store and send WU and it's only $10

I currently use Xoom.  It is not the cheapest, and the exchange rate isn't that great.  However, a couple of clicks on the computer and the transfer is done.

I've used WU in past, and I wasn't a fan.

Finally done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.