gag54611

AOS interview successful, but waiting for FBI name check

2,695 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I just received a letter from my local office to get fingerprints done for my 485. I hope this is a good thing. Heres an interesting paragraph from the letter:

Sounds like it's a good sign! Perhaps your application been languishing so long, you were sent the form letter from 3+ years ago.

Donna, we're applying for my husband's (third) EAD now too. Man, this is pissing me off! $340 just before Christmas!

We celebrated our second anniversary yesterday, so at least we should get a 10-year card when it finally comes through.

Huskerfan, keep us posted on your fingerprints and whatnot.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

yep aos despair it does suck right before christmas. i cant remember if this is the 3rd or 4th ead. seams like there was the origional one and 3 renewals. just wish they would finish up... oh yes this would be the 4th...just checked my timeline. gosh its been so long i cant remember anything.

Edited by Donna A

Hey, Laura!

I hope you're enjoying Kansas! I meant to respond to your other thread about your move. I too often miss living in a climate that has seasons, but when I visit Massachusetts in the winter, that usually fixes it. :-)

This is just our experience, but Jon's renewal AP only took five weeks, from the day we sent off the application to the day the document arrived in our mailbox. I couldn't believe it. Perhaps you'll have similar luck.

I sent off Jon's EAD renewal this morning. I decided to send it Priority Mail (that's the envelope you get at the post office, and it's a flat domestic rate of $4.60, to arrive in two days). Last year, we sent it regular first class mail and it took 10 days to get to Chicago from Phoenix. This added to the stress of sending it in a bit late because we thought the green card might arrive and then we'd have wasted $180. How optimistic we were back then--so young, so vibrant, so ready to take on the world...

:wacko:

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

My husband's last AP took only about 6 weeks to arrive as well. His current EAD expires in March and we haven't sent the renewal application yet-who wants to fork out $340? It's wishful thinking on my part that his application will get approved by the end of the month.

I wrote to my senator one more time on Monday, and her office received the letter on Tuesday. I would like to know if we're still in waiting for the background check to complete. It was unfortunate that my husband's fingerprinting appointment was on a Saturday because the infopass office was closed. It's a 3 hour to get there.

If there isn't any movement in my husband's case by the end of the month, we'll send in the application for EAD renewal. I just feel terrible about spending $340 for another EAD.

2 years and 13 days from NOA to card in hand!

Timeline

wow they are processing EAD faster now too? I sent mine in about 5 months early cuz it always comes like a day before his drivers liscense expires and im panicing so i thought i would do it a little earlier this time to avoid the panic. also his job is asking for it about a month before his old one expires.

actually i was hoping it will take a little longer since he is going to be in syria for the next 3 weeks. i hope they dont need fingerprints before he gets back or we will be in trouble. would hate to have to pay out another $340 cuz we couldnt get the fingerprints done.

i know the AP last time only took 4 weeks. that was surprising also.

too bad they havent speeded the fbi up on the name checks like it seams they have gotton better.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a FYI. I filed my EAD 4 months early. It was set to expire in Oct 07. I filed in June. I received me new card 5 weeks later. The start date was Oct 07 to Oct 08. I was gladly surprised to see that. I decided not to file for a new AP.

Hubby - Canada Wife- USA

Came to USA on an F1 Visa

Met my wife to be August 2001 at college in Nebraska

May 29,2004 - Married!!!!!

July 1, 2004 - Filed AOS, AP, I-130 and Ead in person-Houston

July 12, 2004 - Notice date

July 29, 2004 - Bios

Nov 10, 2004 - I-485 touched

Nov 17, 2004 - I-131 approved

Nov 24, 2004 - I-765 approved

Apr 25, 2005 - status inquiry since AOS is 90 days overdue

May 2, 2005 - status inquiry letter to Houston office

May 19, 2005 - had a meeting with the ICE ( they said they didnt know I filed for AOS???)

July 7, 2005 - sent a letter to Senator, Missouri Cis, CIS Ombudsman

July 27, 2005 - letter from Ombudsman - they will start an inquiry into my case.

Sept 14, 2005 - receieved a letter from USCIS Houston that I need to contact Missouri ( from status inquiry)

Oct 6, 2005 - fingerprinting- EAD

Nov 15, 2005 - Received letter from CIS Ombudsman-I need to contact the Houston USCIS

Nov 17, 2005 - Received AP and Ead in mail

Dec 28, 2005 - fingerprinting- AOS

Feb 9, 2006 - Aos interiew- still waiting for background check

Nov 3, 2006 - Second AOS interview, still waiting for background check

Nov 3, 2006 - I-130 approved

Dec 2, 2007 - Fingerprinted again..third time for AOS

Feb 14, 2008 - Received email case approved

Feb 26, 2008 - received Green Card

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

time for us to renew our EAD--fingers crossed that we get it within a matter of 3-4 months!!!

i called the mis-info line the other day--guy was surprised we've been interview-less for so long..suggested i bake some muffins and talk to an immigration officer at an infopass appt. ha!!! another over $300 for this inefficient agency

I-485 , I-765, I-130: NOA1 : 1/23/2006

Biometrics 2/23/2006

Temporary EAD given for 1 month ONLY b/c of Infopass appt: 5/1/2006

Went back to renew EAD through Infopass: EAD card was not given "due to reasons we can't disclose"

5/3/2007: Confirmation that EAD is delayed due to background checks. (started to use the senator, ombudsman and was just a royal pain in the neck)

5/30/2007: EAD production ordered (after over 400 days of waiting!!! woo hoo!)

AOS Interview: 5/12/2008!!! FINALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/29/2008: card production ordered...918 days..can't wait to see that card!

Filed: Other Timeline
Hey all,

I just received a letter from my local office to get fingerprints done for my 485. I hope this is a good thing. Heres an interesting paragraph from the letter:

Dear Applicant,

To continue processing your application, INS must send your fingerprints to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for a criminal history check. ........

Hmm, I already did two time in the past. Also I thought the "INS" didn't exist, isn't it now the USCIS?

Heres the real kicker though. I did an official address change on January 4, 2007. Received a letter from USCIS acknowledging the change. This new fingerprint letter dated November, 23, 2007 was sent to my previous address???? They however reversed 2 of the numerical digits in the old address. Thankfully the post office delivered to the previous address(my in-laws).

I called the 1-800 number...their response,"odd."

They said to do another address change and an Infopass appointment.

I went online to make an appointment, and guess what? No appointments available.

I called USCIS back. They told me just go there on a Wednesday morning between 8-12 and tell the security guard you can't get an appointment.

Next week, I'll try.

I'll go in for my fingerprint tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Aos pending 41 month so far!

LOL..........How old is THAT form letter? INS?

Huskerfan, I hope that's a good sign for you. It was for us.

Just officially checking in on everybody. I read the thread often to keep up with you all but don't post to it. Never know if I should pop in for the dialogue to try and spread good karma or if I should just keep my mouth shut.

I'm wishing greencards for all of you for Christmas. Hang in there.

Just officially checking in on everybody. I read the thread often to keep up with you all but don't post to it. Never know if I should pop in for the dialogue to try and spread good karma or if I should just keep my mouth shut.

I'm wishing greencards for all of you for Christmas. Hang in there.

:luv: sometimes we need a lil pep-talk from those who made it out to lift our spirits.

Timeline

well it just figures...my husband left today for syria and when i got home the good old letter came to come get his biometrics redone because the last ones have expired...could it be the green card is finally ready to be issued???? the crappy thing about it is the apt. is for dec 17 and my husband dont return until dec 27!!! thankfully they do give us a request for rescheduling and im going to include a note with it saying he is out of town until the 26 can they please reschedule for the 27th.

another crappy thing...i just sent in his ead renewal also. dont know wether to cancell the check or not or if this is just what it says...expired fingerprints and need new ones and it dont mean the green card is ready to be approved.

oh why does this always happen to us?

Hi, everyone

We too received the curious "INS" fingerprinting letter last week (dated December 4), mere hours after I sent off Jon's EAD renewal application. Sweet Christmas biscuits, #######? (I would have posted about this sooner, but we got the mail just before going out of town.)

The letter has the same wording as Huskerfan's. The envelope contained only a one-page document that looks like a photocopy on white paper. The return address is the Phoenix ASC, if that is of any significance. A box on the upper right part of the page has my husband's birthdate, with REASON FINGERPRINTED I-485 below it in block caps. The appointment is scheduled for January 9.

Could this be what we've been waiting for? Normally I'd be pretty excited, but it seems like a coincidence that a bunch of us have received fingerprinting notices within the last few weeks. The pessimist in me is afraid that USCIS (INS, har har) has undergone some procedural change and is now having namecheck delay applicants redo their fingerprints as a matter of course rather than when the namecheck is complete.

Or maybe the FBI is finally getting it together and getting through the backlog. Fingers crossed! Has anyone who received this letter recently had good news regarding the GC?

When we first read the letter, I was kinda pissed off because of the timing re: EAD renewal. But the more I think about it, the more I think it's just as well that we sent off the EAD app. If we hadn't, we'd be wondering whether to take the risk of waiting for the green card. Even though it looks like there has been some development--this is the first correspondence we've received about our AOS (aside from responses to our inquiries) since March 2006, our interview notice--I'm not convinced that the GC would arrive before Jon's EAD expiration in March. We went through that stress last year, and I'm not sure it's worth the possible savings of $340.

Anyway, that's our update! Christmas green cards for all! :)

~ Julie

K-1

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.