gag54611

AOS interview successful, but waiting for FBI name check

2,695 posts in this topic

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone from Pennsylvania stuck in this situation?

My DO is Philadelphia,PA. Yes, I am in the name-check situation.

I have a question - can I make an Infopass to speak to an immigration officer over the phone to find out when my name check was initiatied? I am not able to go to the DO physically but would like to know this info. Thank you.

DO: Philadelphia, PA

24 May: Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131

28 May: RD

01 June: ND (DAY 1)

04 June: All checks cashed (DAY 4)

04 June: Received NoA1 for all (DAY 4)

06 June: LUD for all (DAY 6)

08 June: Biometrics / FP ND (DAY 8)

20 June: Biometrics / FP completed (DAY 20)

20 June: FBI cleared FP; sent to USCIS (DAY 20)

20 June: LUD for all (DAY 20)

21 June: LUD for I-485 & I-765 (DAY 21)

13 July: RD for Interview Letter

20 July: Received Interview Letter (DAY 50)

08 Aug: LUD for I-131 approval notice sent (DAY 69)

08 Aug: LUD for I-765 card production ordered (DAY 69)

09 Aug: LUD I-131

13 Aug: AP received (DAY 74)

13 Aug: 2nd LUD for I-765 card production ordered

16 Aug: I-765 approval notice sent LUD

20 Aug: EAD received (DAY 80)

12 Sept: AOS Interview (DAY 104) Approved; name check pending

13 Sept: I-130 approval notice sent

15 Sept: I-130 approval notice received

05 Dec: I-485 card production ordered

LPR:12/4/07-12/4/09

2009 VSC

24 Sep: I-751 app. mailed

26 Sep: Package in St.Albans,VT

28 Sep: Check cashed

28 Oct: Date of NOA

9 Nov: Biometrics done

22 Dec: Approval notice

7 Jan 2010: Card production ordered

15 Jan: 10-year LPR card received

My DO is Philadelphia,PA. Yes, I am in the name-check situation.

I have a question - can I make an Infopass to speak to an immigration officer over the phone to find out when my name check was initiatied? I am not able to go to the DO physically but would like to know this info. Thank you.

We found out when namecheck was initiated via our senator, however under *typical* circumstances the namecheck is initied sometime shortly after NOA1.

I guess I am really looking for constiuents of Spector or Casey in the state of PA (sorry I wasnt clear). What is happening now as far as namecheck is we have 2 senators who are very interested in furthering legislation in that district and was reaching out to see who else in that are is affected.

Of course educating *any* senator or congressperson that another one of their constituents is facing this delay is a good idea.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Of course educating *any* senator or congressperson that another one of their constituents is facing this delay is a good idea.

What constitutes a delay? Considering my guys (Kennedy and Kerry) are gung ho on any immigration I would like to start pestering <ahem> educating <ahem> them.

But again, I don't want to start it if it is not an issue, yet. Then again, should I? Is it best to wait until we are outside the processing times?

Thanks!

Complete

What constitutes a delay? Considering my guys (Kennedy and Kerry) are gung ho on any immigration I would like to start pestering <ahem> educating <ahem> them.

But again, I don't want to start it if it is not an issue, yet. Then again, should I? Is it best to wait until we are outside the processing times?

Thanks!

I don't know what constitutes a delay, really. I would guess if you are outside processing times, then thats a good start. At least you have something to base your complaint off of.

That reminds me... I havent heard from my senator or representative in over 6 months... I better get on my own case. :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

This is an interesting subject. We have been waiting from May to October with the FBI backround/name check process.

I guess it does not matter that much, since she has the AP, can go to school as a resident in Oregon, she got her drivers permit (should have the liscence shortlly). We did not do the EAD so she cannot work, but since she is going to collage full time there is no need to work.

If the statement about cooperating host country affecting the FBI's time to do the backround check applies, then since my wife is from China we should be screwed.....

The whole immigration process has been very difficult. I cannot wait for the whole thing to get over with when the green card arrives.

Nov 2004 - Met in China during my bussiness trip there

Jan 2005 - My work assigns me for a posting in China, we move in at my apartment in Shenzhen, China

Nov 2005 - K1 (I-129) packet sent to Nebraska from China

Dec 30 2005 - K1 (I-129) touched received NOA1

Aug 19 2006 - Interview in Guangzhou USA consulate. VISA approved.

Aug 22 2006 - Visa arrived on the passport in the mail.

Dec 14th 2006 - Travel to USA, direct to Las Vegas and get married.

Dec 30th 2006 - Send the AOS and AP packet to Chicago

Feb 15th 2007 - Received the AP (thank god)

Mar 15th 2007 - Biometrics in Portland, OR

May 25th 2007 - Interview at immigration building in Portland, OR (took 1hr). They said that we were ok and just waiting for the FBI backround check.

This is the last info we had since May 25th and its not Oct 8th.

Two years and 4 months - NOTHING

OUR TIMELINE....

March 20th 2004 posted I-129f to VSC

March 22nd 2004 NOA1

May 26th 2004 recieved RFE via email

June 4th 2004 recieved RFE in post (photos were not dated, boarding pass had no year on it. oops!)

June 14th 2004 posted response to RFE

June 22nd 2004 VSC recieved response to RFE (dated 18/06/04)

JULY 1st 2004...101 days and STILL counting!!

July 7th 2004 WE ARE APPROVED!!

July 10th 2004NOA2 in post.

July 14th 2004 File sent from NVC to London.

July 28th 2004 Packet 3 recieved

August 12th 2004 sent packet 3 back.

November 1st 2004 Interview date.... APPROVED.

March 8th 2005 Arrive via Bos. Finally see my man again.

May 14th 2005 Our wedding day

June 10th 2005 sent in AOS forms.

August 16th 2005 Biometrics

Sept 6th 2005 Interview - went well....i think.

Nov 7th 2006 STILL awaiting FBI name check!!!!!!!! no green card, no touches, nothing. Getting a bit fed up with being in Limbo land. :0(

January 2007 wrote to senator, who in turn contacted FBI. Yes we are STILL in name check, they got our name in June 2005!!!

February 27th 2007 3 emails all saying the same thing. Fingerprinting processing is completed.

March 20th 2007 Have written to Michael Cannon head of FBI namecheck. Mentioned i am no longer amused :0(

April 28th 2007 Recieved letter asking me to go for third set of fingerprints!

April 29th 2007 Sent a letter to query the need for 3rd set of prints.

May 2nd 2007 USCIS replied - do NOT need a third set after all - go figure

This is an interesting subject. We have been waiting from May to October with the FBI backround/name check process.

I guess it does not matter that much, since she has the AP, can go to school as a resident in Oregon, she got her drivers permit (should have the licence shortlly). We did not do the EAD so she cannot work, but since she is going to college full time there is no need to work.

If the statement about cooperating host country affecting the FBI's time to do the backround check applies, then since my wife is from China we should be screwed.....

The whole immigration process has been very difficult. I cannot wait for the whole thing to get over with when the green card arrives.

Nov 2004 - Met in China during my bussiness trip there

Jan 2005 - My work assigns me for a posting in China, we move in at my apartment in Shenzhen, China

Nov 2005 - K1 (I-129) packet sent to Nebraska from China

Dec 30 2005 - K1 (I-129) touched received NOA1

Aug 19 2006 - Interview in Guangzhou USA consulate. VISA approved.

Aug 22 2006 - Visa arrived on the passport in the mail.

Dec 14th 2006 - Travel to USA, direct to Las Vegas and get married.

Dec 30th 2006 - Send the AOS and AP packet to Chicago

Feb 15th 2007 - Received the AP (thank god)

Mar 15th 2007 - Biometrics in Portland, OR

May 25th 2007 - Interview at immigration building in Portland, OR (took 1hr). They said that we were ok and just waiting for the FBI backround check.

This is the last info we had since May 25th and its not Oct 8th.

Hi damir,

Reading your post made me a little relieved because I now know that there is another person who has applied and is attending school during name-check. I was approved on 12 Sept but FBI name check is pending. I am working now with my AOS EAD and have my AP as well valid until Aug 2008.

Can you please let me know under which category did your wife fall in during the application to school?

I plan to apply to go back to grad school next fall (the applications are due by Jan 08) and am sending in my app. package next month.

Did your wife have to show the I-485 receipt to show that she's in status? I would really appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks so much! :)

DO: Philadelphia, PA

24 May: Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131

28 May: RD

01 June: ND (DAY 1)

04 June: All checks cashed (DAY 4)

04 June: Received NoA1 for all (DAY 4)

06 June: LUD for all (DAY 6)

08 June: Biometrics / FP ND (DAY 8)

20 June: Biometrics / FP completed (DAY 20)

20 June: FBI cleared FP; sent to USCIS (DAY 20)

20 June: LUD for all (DAY 20)

21 June: LUD for I-485 & I-765 (DAY 21)

13 July: RD for Interview Letter

20 July: Received Interview Letter (DAY 50)

08 Aug: LUD for I-131 approval notice sent (DAY 69)

08 Aug: LUD for I-765 card production ordered (DAY 69)

09 Aug: LUD I-131

13 Aug: AP received (DAY 74)

13 Aug: 2nd LUD for I-765 card production ordered

16 Aug: I-765 approval notice sent LUD

20 Aug: EAD received (DAY 80)

12 Sept: AOS Interview (DAY 104) Approved; name check pending

13 Sept: I-130 approval notice sent

15 Sept: I-130 approval notice received

05 Dec: I-485 card production ordered

LPR:12/4/07-12/4/09

2009 VSC

24 Sep: I-751 app. mailed

26 Sep: Package in St.Albans,VT

28 Sep: Check cashed

28 Oct: Date of NOA

9 Nov: Biometrics done

22 Dec: Approval notice

7 Jan 2010: Card production ordered

15 Jan: 10-year LPR card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

well today the ombudsman finally replyed. they asked for 45 days to reply. naturally ilost time and added an extra 30 days to the 45 days before i sent an email. got an email back saying they are getting ready to finish out inquirey give them 2 more weeks. 2 weeks passed to the day and i wrote another email..reply...a letter has been sent to u. give it a few days to arrive.

got the letter today. totally a waste of time and paper. we are in fbi name check (didnt i already tell them this in the first letter i wrote) and who know when it will finish. and they gave a paper showing why these checks are neccisary and blah blah blah. some people are never stuck and some stuck for years....yeah nice.

husband is pissed off of this. wants to file the WOM now. he is convinced he is hung up cuz he is syrian.

u know before the congressman liason said well there are many agencies who this has to go thru. if we were not friendly with a certain on they wont cooperate causing a hold up. ok so if we are not friendly with lets sat the agency in syria then wouldnt everyone get held up who comes from syria. i think this is a cop out excuse.

oh well thats the update from us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
u know before the congressman liason said well there are many agencies who this has to go thru. if we were not friendly with a certain on they wont cooperate causing a hold up. ok so if we are not friendly with lets sat the agency in syria then wouldnt everyone get held up who comes from syria. i think this is a cop out excuse.

oh well thats the update from us.

I totally agree that this is a very lame excuse and BS. I am acquainted with so many people that had come from the same town as I had who got their green cards within a couple of months, that is none of them seemed to get stuck in the name check for longer than those couple of months. Question - how is it then all of a sudden here I am approaching my third "anniversary" of still waiting for it to be complete!? What, the agency stopped cooperating precisely at the same time as my name check was initiated!? :angry: Nobody seems to know the truth behind all this "pending name check" delay, and I really wish they would stop feading us with more and more lies every single time we are trying to find out something about our cases :unsure: My husband is so mad that he's actually thinking of filing a discriminatory lawsuit against the government, I know it's not gonna work (as nothing usually does in this matter), but the more I think about it, the more I come to believe that it is indeed discriminatory, just as my acquaintances (the same town, the same age group and the same background) who sailed through their background checks and me still waiting.....................if it's not discriminatory, then I don't know what it is - pure luck, maybe!?

if it was discrimination, then why are there people from the uk stuck in namechecks? i dont believe its discrimination if america's "ally" is having its citizens stuck in namecheck. i know ive not been stuck long, but there are others from the uk who have been stuck for ages. if its discrimination, its discrimination against immigrants in general, which cant be, obviously since most dont get stuck here. i think its more "luck of the draw" (or unluck that is), alot like people who are transferred to CSC. no explanations, no patterns, just randomness.

just my thoughts!

Our Timeline:

06/19/07: AOS/EAD packet finally off in the mail!

06/21/07: Package arrived in Chicago (Day 1)

06/27/07: NOA1 recieved for I-130 and EAD and I-485 (Day 6)

06/30/07: I-130 and EAD and I-485 *touched* (Day 9)

07/12/07: RFE for proof of joint sponsor's citizenship (Day 21)

07/21/07: Biometrics Appointment in Atlanta (Day 31)

07/23/07: Returned RFE with wanted documents arrives in Missouri (Day 33)

07/25/07: I-485 *touched* (Day 35)

09/06/07: EAD Card Production Ordered (Day 77)

09/12/07: EAD Card recieved in the mail!!! (Day 83)

09/18/07: Interview in Atlanta!!!!!!!!! (Day 89) APPROVED PENDING NAMECHECK!!!!

11/09/07: Card production ordered!!!

11/20/07: Greencard received!!!!!!!!

08/15/09: I-751 package mailed!

08/17/09: Package delivered to VSC.

08/18/09: NOA 1 Extension Letter!! (received 08/24/09)

08/20/09: Check cashed!!

09/29/09: Biometrics in ATL!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

what really bothers me most is there is no way of finding out if the fbi even got the case. we could be sitting and waiting and it might have never even got to them. u know things always seam to get lost with the immigration office.

I also would have to disagree this is discrimination. If you have a hit, you have a hit. I think it makes matters so much worse to assume USCIS is out to get you in this way. When looking at the list of all of us "stuck" you clearly see this problem is all across the board. Are some areas more prevalent than not? Sure - that comes with commonality of names, or transliteration of non-roman style letters.

There are things you can do to change this though. Get involved!

yes!!!!it's me!!I stuck for 2,5 years and have no idea when i get a gc

awesome! I will PM you :) ... well actually sorry you are stuck - but glad to have found someone in PA!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.