gag54611

AOS interview successful, but waiting for FBI name check

2,695 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
I've been reading and learning from here but haven't posted since I didn't have anything to add..I was also stuck in the FBI name check nightmare since my wife and I interviewed on July 12th, 2007.

Congrats! Although, with all due respect, I'm not sure a two-month delay can reasonably be considered a "nightmare." Just thought I'd say it before someone posted a similar sentiment but maybe a bit less diplomatically. (As I'm sure you've noticed, there are some angry mofos in this thread! And justifiably so!)

I came up with a contribution to another thread in which I decided that terms like "namecheck hell" couldn't be rightfully used by applicants (or their spouse) who received GC approval before having to renew interim benefits.

Sometimes I wonder if this entire experience has permanently altered my personality. People used to tell me I was a nice person.

I completely agree with you on your thoughts. There have been times that I have been embarrassed to even sully this thread with my three week old problem. But then I don't feel as though I belong in the threads where people are gushing about getting their green card in hours (tongue firmly in cheek).

We need to belong somewhere. And though I have no reason to be as out of joint as many others in here, it is still my own personal version of hell. I am someone that likes to have a handle on a situation, and this, this is just torture.

This is not meant in any way to be snarky, but should there be a thread for those just thrown out to the unknown? A place that we can "practice our patience" without unintentionally stepping on the toes of others who have waited longer.

Complete

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
I've been reading and learning from here but haven't posted since I didn't have anything to add..I was also stuck in the FBI name check nightmare since my wife and I interviewed on July 12th, 2007.

Congrats! Although, with all due respect, I'm not sure a two-month delay can reasonably be considered a "nightmare." Just thought I'd say it before someone posted a similar sentiment but maybe a bit less diplomatically. (As I'm sure you've noticed, there are some angry mofos in this thread! And justifiably so!)

I came up with a contribution to another thread in which I decided that terms like "namecheck hell" couldn't be rightfully used by applicants (or their spouse) who received GC approval before having to renew interim benefits.

Sometimes I wonder if this entire experience has permanently altered my personality. People used to tell me I was a nice person.

I completely agree with you on your thoughts. There have been times that I have been embarrassed to even sully this thread with my three week old problem. But then I don't feel as though I belong in the threads where people are gushing about getting their green card in hours (tongue firmly in cheek).

We need to belong somewhere. And though I have no reason to be as out of joint as many others in here, it is still my own personal version of hell. I am someone that likes to have a handle on a situation, and this, this is just torture.

This is not meant in any way to be snarky, but should there be a thread for those just thrown out to the unknown? A place that we can "practice our patience" without unintentionally stepping on the toes of others who have waited longer.

I was just thinking earlier of some very fun responses i could put up with bitterness. Like the person who asks "what are my chances...?" I want to respond "never"

Just be a total git with people.

But then I take a deep breath and chose not to respond to that thread(but it would be fun).

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Nemoton, I certainly did not mean to come off as dismissive of the stress that being in limbo for even a few weeks or months can cause. I also was not offended by your post. My response was actually an attempt at humor, which was, admittedly, unsuccessful. I guess I've been reading this board for too long.

I figured it was only a matter of time before someone said, "You think you've been waiting long?! Two months, are you kidding me?! I've been dealing with this for years!" sort of stuff. I figured if I did it first, and in a soft way, you'd be less likely to have someone jump on you. I was trying to steer the conversation in another direction, that's all.

This is, of course, an open and (I hope) welcoming thread, and I don't want to suggest that people who haven't been waiting all that long shouldn't contribute to the forum or that their experiences are somehow less valid. We're all in agreement that this uncertainty is hell, but you have to admit that someone who has been waiting for, say, two years has experienced a bit more frustration and anxiety than someone whose AOS was submitted only a few months ago. I know that people handle this stress in different ways; some just roll with it and are grateful that they're with their spouse, and others practically make themselves sick over it. I'm somewhere in the middle. My main emotion is anger (directed toward the machine), with despair a close second. Somehow, AOS anger didn't have the same ring.

And I was serious about immigration altering my personality. :-)

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

add us to the list people. approved today pending namecheck :(

Welcome! Being stuck in name check is a badge of honor! And this thread is where all the cool kids hang out. :-)

yayyyyyy i get to be cool finally!!! :lol:

on a real note.....ive been searching, but i cant find anything on it, do we have a list somewhere with the people who have gone thru this name check stuff, and how long their wait was, what an average wait time is, what office they use? this is probably a futile question but i figured i would ask rather than keep searching for something that isnt there! and also, what would you say the majority is, people waiting a few months, or people waiting a few years? please dont jump down my throat for asking these! :blush: im just new to the name check situation and trying to get all my ducks in a row :)

Edited by chelsea.and.john

Our Timeline:

06/19/07: AOS/EAD packet finally off in the mail!

06/21/07: Package arrived in Chicago (Day 1)

06/27/07: NOA1 recieved for I-130 and EAD and I-485 (Day 6)

06/30/07: I-130 and EAD and I-485 *touched* (Day 9)

07/12/07: RFE for proof of joint sponsor's citizenship (Day 21)

07/21/07: Biometrics Appointment in Atlanta (Day 31)

07/23/07: Returned RFE with wanted documents arrives in Missouri (Day 33)

07/25/07: I-485 *touched* (Day 35)

09/06/07: EAD Card Production Ordered (Day 77)

09/12/07: EAD Card recieved in the mail!!! (Day 83)

09/18/07: Interview in Atlanta!!!!!!!!! (Day 89) APPROVED PENDING NAMECHECK!!!!

11/09/07: Card production ordered!!!

11/20/07: Greencard received!!!!!!!!

08/15/09: I-751 package mailed!

08/17/09: Package delivered to VSC.

08/18/09: NOA 1 Extension Letter!! (received 08/24/09)

08/20/09: Check cashed!!

09/29/09: Biometrics in ATL!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Welcome! Being stuck in name check is a badge of honor! And this thread is where all the cool kids hang out. :-)

on a real note.....ive been searching, but i cant find anything on it, do we have a list somewhere with the people who have gone thru this name check stuff, and how long their wait was, what an average wait time is, what office they use? this is probably a futile question but i figured i would ask rather than keep searching for something that isnt there! and also, what would you say the majority is, people waiting a few months, or people waiting a few years? please dont jump down my throat for asking these! :blush: im just new to the name check situation and trying to get all my ducks in a row :)

There really is no answer, the Name Check is an individual thing. There is no way to estimate it.

Google FBI Name Check and that will tell you the process

I wish I had a better answer for you

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

There really is no answer, the Name Check is an individual thing. There is no way to estimate it.

Google FBI Name Check and that will tell you the process

I wish I had a better answer for you

any answer is a good answer! thanks :)

Our Timeline:

we do have a list of the people going through extended namechecks. I havent updated it lately though. To answer your question - the average member who "escaped" the list in 2006 was 200 days after NOA1. This is the average across the board though, you can even see in the timeline section - (at the time) the average was to get an interview somwhere around 180 days post NOA1 most of those were also not stuck in namecheck - sooooo between those stats, ours and CSC transferees, I deducted 200 days is about average for anyone to be "done". Of course there is a bell curve involved. Many people done early on, and some done waaay late.

I hope this makes sense!

we do have a list of the people going through extended namechecks. I havent updated it lately though. To answer your question - the average member who "escaped" the list in 2006 was 200 days after NOA1. This is the average across the board though, you can even see in the timeline section - (at the time) the average was to get an interview somwhere around 180 days post NOA1 most of those were also not stuck in namecheck - sooooo between those stats, ours and CSC transferees, I deducted 200 days is about average for anyone to be "done". Of course there is a bell curve involved. Many people done early on, and some done waaay late.

I hope this makes sense!

yes it makes sense!! thank you! i guess since we are only 90 from NOA1 we might have some waiting to do. oh well, at least he can work!

Our Timeline:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

AOSdespair - that was me, not Nemoton responding to your post. I didn't and don't mean to speak for anyone just something that I have been thinking about. The newbies seem to be in an inbetween place. I am trying to sort my thoughts out. Sorry for any confusion.

Now something that I have noticed.....what is going on in Scotland that is contributing to a sudden increase of Scottish people being stuck in namecheck? :)

Complete

AOSdespair - that was me, not Nemoton responding to your post. I didn't and don't mean to speak for anyone just something that I have been thinking about. The newbies seem to be in an inbetween place. I am trying to sort my thoughts out. Sorry for any confusion.

No problem, Nemoton's response appeared right before yours (I think it's the last post on the previous page), and I was sort of responding to both.

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

LOLOLOLOL....................what, do your eyes now roll back in your head and you talk to aliens?

No, silly! But I do have a good working relationship with the family of chickens who live in my air conditioning unit. And, as you can see from my avatar, one of them has been into my beer! Bad chicken! That was my last Sam Adams!

K-1

AOS

Now something that I have noticed.....what is going on in Scotland that is contributing to a sudden increase of Scottish people being stuck in namecheck? :)

seriously!! maybe they have something against men who will wear a skirt :lol:

Our Timeline:

Filed: Other Timeline

LOLOLOLOL....................what, do your eyes now roll back in your head and you talk to aliens?

No, silly! But I do have a good working relationship with the family of chickens who live in my air conditioning unit. And, as you can see from my avatar, one of them has been into my beer! Bad chicken! That was my last Sam Adams!

Stupid bird.

I say have her for dinner.

seriously!! maybe they have something against men who will wear a skirt :lol:

Nah....they're looking for anybody related to 007...........

A little background of last year and the backlog reduction.

Last year we were averaging 6-8 months between AOS filing and interview. Many times by then the namecheck would be completed so we would get a few new members here and there. As the backlog reduction procedure built up steam (CSC transferring) we also saw a speed up of AOS interviews and likewise - an increase of in the "membership" on this thread. Now its not at all abnormal to get an interview in 3 months. Kinda leads to the namecheck still taking its normal course of time, but members are "stuck" more frequently, but for less amount of time. Again there are always outliers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.