DmytriiD

Next Steps after K1 Visa Aproval

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Dear all,

Me and my fiancee currently awaiting NOA2 next week. I just want to prepare for all next steps now.
As I understand after approval they will send docs to NVC and then to my country Embassy.
When can I start to do my medicals? And As I understand after medicals I can go to interview...

Also pls advise what steps I should take after arrival to the US. Want to prepare us and required docs upfront to save time in future :)

Thank you!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
5 hours ago, DmytriiD said:

Dear all,

Me and my fiancee currently awaiting NOA2 next week. I just want to prepare for all next steps now.
As I understand after approval they will send docs to NVC and then to my country Embassy.
When can I start to do my medicals? And As I understand after medicals I can go to interview...

Also pls advise what steps I should take after arrival to the US. Want to prepare us and required docs upfront to save time in future :)

Thank you!

After NVC receives your petition they will give you a case number. 

(In most countries)You can do the medical after receiving this number. Otherwise you need to wait to receive instructions from your embassy.

for the interview it depends highly on the embassy. If your embassy let’s you schedule then you can do that after you receive your NVC case number. But you need to have time between medical and interview in order to get the results before the interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

@DmytriiD me and my fiance just went through the Embassy step and got approved.  Next step is to get your financial stuff ready for her.

I-134 only; they don't need I-864, recent pay-stubs, W-2, most recent tax return (2017), letter of employment, bank letter with letterhead and deposit averages.

If possible, more proof of ongoing  relationship (whatsapp, pictures, travel to see fiance and passport stamps), copy of NOA-2 from beneficiary, police record in Ukraine, birthcertificate fom fiance in Ukraine

I did and interview review from the Kiev embassy also if you want to read it. Pretty simple stuff, nothing to worry about 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Timeline

i also forgot that the Kiev medical center is quite busy nowadays. Get the earliest medical possible after you get your NVC case number is ready and leave about a week between the medical and interview. We had luck and got medical 5 business days before we got the interview. It' all depends how fast you want your fiance to come to the USA.  

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

*~*~*procedural question moved from "progress reports" to "process and procedures"*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
7 hours ago, Alabamak1 said:

@DmytriiD me and my fiance just went through the Embassy step and got approved.  Next step is to get your financial stuff ready for her.

I-134 only; they don't need I-864, recent pay-stubs, W-2, most recent tax return (2017), letter of employment, bank letter with letterhead and deposit averages.

If possible, more proof of ongoing  relationship (whatsapp, pictures, travel to see fiance and passport stamps), copy of NOA-2 from beneficiary, police record in Ukraine, birthcertificate fom fiance in Ukraine

I did and interview review from the Kiev embassy also if you want to read it. Pretty simple stuff, nothing to worry about 

Hi Antonio,

Thank you...yeah I see, okay after visa approval US citizen need to start preparing financial stuff for what reason?
I am Ukrainian citizen and she is American :) maybe rare case haha.
Okay well...I can schedule medicals after receiving a case number from NVC and schedule an interview at least with 1 week gap btw them.
So, what do I do after approval? Visa will be issued like in a couple of days and I can pack and fly to the US, right?
What our next steps in the US after my arrival? Like obviously marriage and I mean what should we do next, what to submit, apply for? Where and how it works?

Thank you!

Timeline
11 hours ago, DmytriiD said:

Hi Antonio,

Thank you...yeah I see, okay after visa approval US citizen need to start preparing financial stuff for what reason?
I am Ukrainian citizen and she is American :) maybe rare case haha.
Okay well...I can schedule medicals after receiving a case number from NVC and schedule an interview at least with 1 week gap btw them.
So, what do I do after approval? Visa will be issued like in a couple of days and I can pack and fly to the US, right?
What our next steps in the US after my arrival? Like obviously marriage and I mean what should we do next, what to submit, apply for? Where and how it works?

Thank you!

An approved NOA-2 is approval to go on to NVC and the embassy. At no point at this stage you have done the financial stuff either. Follow the above step for L-134 etcetera.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 4/22/2018 at 8:12 AM, DmytriiD said:

Thank you!

Hi :)
Scheduling an interview, you'll have to choose DHL office for your passport and sealed envelope  pick up. Usually it takes 5-7 days from an interview to get your documents at DHL office.

Do not open that sealed envelope - it's prepared by US Embassy and you'll have to hand it to US  Customs during your entry of the US on a K-1 visa.

Also, you should get your vaccination record (form 0-86y I believe) BEFORE your medical exam. During medical they will transfer your vaccination record to the Form DS-3025. No record - no transfer, so no DS-3025. But the Form is needed to apply for a green card (I-485 application) after you arrive and get married in the US. So, while you are waiting for your NOA-2, I'd advise to go and see your physician to get that record. DS-3025 stays with you, - you don't have to give it to the US Customs. just that sealed envelope.

After arrival :)

It's just form our experience.

1. Got SS#. - You can do it as soon as your I-94 form available online. Usually - immediately.

2.  Marriage License and got married.

3. As soon as SS card arrived, went to DMV and took a Driver Licence test  - as a K1 visa holder you can get a DL.  It will be valid till your I-94 expiration date. But at least its' better than nothing. And if your get married soon enough after arrival and file AOS (green card application I-485/I-131/I-765) ASAP, than a "gap" without Dl won't be that long. It depends on a State, but usually your passport, prove of residency/address and SS card are enough to obtain a DL. Mail from Social Security Office can serve as a proof of your address - it will have your name on it and your current address in the US.

So... maybe it's time to start reading Driver guide book? :) Each State has it's own.

4. Bank - it can be challenging to add you to your spouse's bank account, but it's doable. Usually, passport and your SS number should be enough to do so.

5. Phone. To get your US number 

6. Utilities - to add your name.

7. Car Ins. - if you got DL.

8. .....and so on....

We also started looking for a house after my arrival. So, as you see it can be really busy time once you are here :)

We didn't plan any wedding things  - we just wanted to be done with all that paperwork first. So, we kept it simple, just a Court marriage. And only after filing AOS we started planning our wedding ceremony, with family members and friends.

It did really help me to adjust - being able to drive, not to feel like i was stuck in the house while my husband was at work and etc...

But it's all up to  you, guys.  

Good luck !!!!!

p.s. When you apply for a green card (I-485 form), it's advised to apply along with I-485 and for I-131 (Travel Document) & I-765 (Work Authorization).  it can take up to a year to get your green card, sometimes even longer. But with Work Authorization and Travel Document you can update your Driver License, work, travel and etc. Takes about 100 days currently. And it's fee waived if you apply for those along with I-485. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 4/22/2018 at 8:12 AM, DmytriiD said:

what do I do after approval? Visa will be issued like in a couple of days and I can pack and fly to the US, right?

The first thing is never to ASSUME approval.  Do NOT take the consular phase of this process ilghtly.

Do not presume how long it will take to get your visa in hand.

Do not make any nonrefundable travel arrangements until your visa is in your hands.

-----

Thread is moved from K-1 Process to the Russia/Ukraine/Belarus regional forum for country-specific advice.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
On 23.04.2018 at 6:15 PM, Ksenia_O said:

Hi :)
Scheduling an interview, you'll have to choose DHL office for your passport and sealed envelope  pick up. Usually it takes 5-7 days from an interview to get your documents at DHL office.

Do not open that sealed envelope - it's prepared by US Embassy and you'll have to hand it to US  Customs during your entry of the US on a K-1 visa.

Also, you should get your vaccination record (form 0-86y I believe) BEFORE your medical exam. During medical they will transfer your vaccination record to the Form DS-3025. No record - no transfer, so no DS-3025. But the Form is needed to apply for a green card (I-485 application) after you arrive and get married in the US. So, while you are waiting for your NOA-2, I'd advise to go and see your physician to get that record. DS-3025 stays with you, - you don't have to give it to the US Customs. just that sealed envelope.

After arrival :)

It's just form our experience.

1. Got SS#. - You can do it as soon as your I-94 form available online. Usually - immediately.

2.  Marriage License and got married.

3. As soon as SS card arrived, went to DMV and took a Driver Licence test  - as a K1 visa holder you can get a DL.  It will be valid till your I-94 expiration date. But at least its' better than nothing. And if your get married soon enough after arrival and file AOS (green card application I-485/I-131/I-765) ASAP, than a "gap" without Dl won't be that long. It depends on a State, but usually your passport, prove of residency/address and SS card are enough to obtain a DL. Mail from Social Security Office can serve as a proof of your address - it will have your name on it and your current address in the US.

So... maybe it's time to start reading Driver guide book? :) Each State has it's own.

4. Bank - it can be challenging to add you to your spouse's bank account, but it's doable. Usually, passport and your SS number should be enough to do so.

5. Phone. To get your US number 

6. Utilities - to add your name.

7. Car Ins. - if you got DL.

8. .....and so on....

We also started looking for a house after my arrival. So, as you see it can be really busy time once you are here :)

We didn't plan any wedding things  - we just wanted to be done with all that paperwork first. So, we kept it simple, just a Court marriage. And only after filing AOS we started planning our wedding ceremony, with family members and friends.

It did really help me to adjust - being able to drive, not to feel like i was stuck in the house while my husband was at work and etc...

But it's all up to  you, guys.  

Good luck !!!!!

p.s. When you apply for a green card (I-485 form), it's advised to apply along with I-485 and for I-131 (Travel Document) & I-765 (Work Authorization).  it can take up to a year to get your green card, sometimes even longer. But with Work Authorization and Travel Document you can update your Driver License, work, travel and etc. Takes about 100 days currently. And it's fee waived if you apply for those along with I-485. 

Hi Ksenia,

Thanks for your reply. It is very useful.
I just have cuple more questions. So I understood regarding vacinations and envelops. Thank you.
But I already have a social security number from the time I was working in the US as a lifequard thorugh Work and Travel student programm.
Will I need to change or leave this one...if you know that.
As I know from my experience I can drive a car up to 180 days with my Ukrainian DL, because I am often in the US and I was checking this with police officers multiple times.
So I think I will have a time for DL preparation :)
So after I arrive I should marry and apply for AOS asap, right?
What this AOS means? Is it already an application for Green Card or not? What should I have on hand to apply for AOS and I-485 ? How will I get work permit ?

Thanks in advance :)

Timeline
3 hours ago, DmytriiD said:

Hi Ksenia,

Thanks for your reply. It is very useful.
I just have cuple more questions. So I understood regarding vacinations and envelops. Thank you.
But I already have a social security number from the time I was working in the US as a lifequard thorugh Work and Travel student programm.
Will I need to change or leave this one...if you know that.
As I know from my experience I can drive a car up to 180 days with my Ukrainian DL, because I am often in the US and I was checking this with police officers multiple times.
So I think I will have a time for DL preparation :)
So after I arrive I should marry and apply for AOS asap, right?
What this AOS means? Is it already an application for Green Card or not? What should I have on hand to apply for AOS and I-485 ? How will I get work permit ?

Thanks in advance :)

SS# is given for life and I'm positive you can use that one you already have.

About Driver License.. Well, I believe it's a little bit different when you are in US on B1/B2 visa. But as a K1 visa holder you wont be a "tourist " anymore... But i might be mistaken.

Besides, car insurance - the price is really high if a driver is  on an international Dl. 

Also, it can take up to a year to get a green card, sometimes even longer (mine took 15 months).  Employment Authorization currently takes abut 100-120 days. So, for me it was really important and very helpful to have at least one document, DL, issued in the US, while my AOS was pending.

The process is stressful and long enough and I'm glad my husband "softly" encouraged me to take a driver test once I was here -  first, it had to be done anyway, sooner or later, and the second  - it made my life so much easier and it was really nice to not feel like a completely undocumented person :)  Of course, I drove on my Ukrainian DL during that gap, between I-94 expiration date & EAD received. But it was not that long anyway.

Ok :)

AOS or Form I-485 - Adjustment of Status or Application to Register Permanent Residence, Form I-485.

So, yes, you file form I-485 AFTER you got married in the US.

Here is a link, it will give you an idea what you must have to apply for I-485.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Also, along with a green card application (I-485) you can apply for I-131 (Travel Document) & I-765 (employment Authorization). These two are fee waived if filed along with I-485. Usually you receive a  combo card,  "two -in-one", while your AOS pending, which serves as a travel & work permit at the same time and it's called EAD.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

https://www.uscis.gov/i-765

Should you marry and apply for AOS/EAD asap?.. It's all up to you, guys. But as I've  mentioned before, everything, filed with USCIS, is currently taking FOREVER.  So, the longer you wait to file, the longer you are not eligible  to work, travel and etc... 

Good luck!

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
On 25.04.2018 at 5:43 PM, Ksenia_O said:

SS# is given for life and I'm positive you can use that one you already have.

About Driver License.. Well, I believe it's a little bit different when you are in US on B1/B2 visa. But as a K1 visa holder you wont be a "tourist " anymore... But i might be mistaken.

Besides, car insurance - the price is really high if a driver is  on an international Dl. 

Also, it can take up to a year to get a green card, sometimes even longer (mine took 15 months).  Employment Authorization currently takes abut 100-120 days. So, for me it was really important and very helpful to have at least one document, DL, issued in the US, while my AOS was pending.

The process is stressful and long enough and I'm glad my husband "softly" encouraged me to take a driver test once I was here -  first, it had to be done anyway, sooner or later, and the second  - it made my life so much easier and it was really nice to not feel like a completely undocumented person :)  Of course, I drove on my Ukrainian DL during that gap, between I-94 expiration date & EAD received. But it was not that long anyway.

Ok :)

AOS or Form I-485 - Adjustment of Status or Application to Register Permanent Residence, Form I-485.

So, yes, you file form I-485 AFTER you got married in the US.

Here is a link, it will give you an idea what you must have to apply for I-485.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Also, along with a green card application (I-485) you can apply for I-131 (Travel Document) & I-765 (employment Authorization). These two are fee waived if filed along with I-485. Usually you receive a  combo card,  "two -in-one", while your AOS pending, which serves as a travel & work permit at the same time and it's called EAD.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

https://www.uscis.gov/i-765

Should you marry and apply for AOS/EAD asap?.. It's all up to you, guys. But as I've  mentioned before, everything, filed with USCIS, is currently taking FOREVER.  So, the longer you wait to file, the longer you are not eligible  to work, travel and etc... 

Good luck!

Thank you! It is very helpful :) 
Can I contact you just in case if I have questions in future?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, DmytriiD said:

Thank you! It is very helpful :) 
Can I contact you just in case if I have questions in future?

You are very welcome!! ;)

Sure - feel free to contact me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.