kp&kp

AOS Help - I-130

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I have filed an I-130 for spousal visa. I am currently at the AOS stage trying to determine if I need a household sponsor, joint sponsor, etc or if I would qualify to sponsor on my own. Some background:

On my 1040s, my total income (line 22) are as follows:

2015: $7,358

2016: $9,613

2017:  $26,000

For a household member of 2 (me and my wife) would my income of $26,000 made last year and $26,000 annual income that I will be making this year in 2018 be enough for me a sole sponsor for my wife or should I include household income (both mom and dad) sponsorships?

Which forms would I need to fill out? Any tips or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Technically, you qualify on your own based on current and 2017 income.  However, the Consulates in India almost always want to see three years of qualifying income.  I would provide an I-864 from your, the same from one parent as joint sponsor and an I-864a from the joint sponsor's spouse.  

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
8 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Technically, you qualify on your own based on current and 2017 income.  However, the Consulates in India almost always want to see three years of qualifying income.  I would provide an I-864 from your, the same from one parent as joint sponsor and an I-864a from the joint sponsor's spouse.  You are not part of your parent's household, so you cannot combine income with them.

So would I find out that they want to see three years of qualifying income at the interview or would I know beforehand? Let's say I send off my AOS package with just me being as a sponsor. If the three years of income were to be an issue, would they let me know now and send me a checklist or could it be a problem later during the interview part?

Also, I live with my parents still. I have always lived with my parents. Would I not be able to use their income as household income for sponsorship?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Duplicate thread removed; do not start multiple threads on identical content.~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
5 minutes ago, kp&kp said:

So would I find out that they want to see three years of qualifying income at the interview or would I know beforehand? Let's say I send off my AOS package with just me being as a sponsor. If the three years of income were to be an issue, would they let me know now and send me a checklist or could it be a problem later during the interview part?

Also, I live with my parents still. I have always lived with my parents. Would I not be able to use their income as household income for sponsorship?

They will let you know during the interview.  I just explained the proper way to use your parents as joint sponsor.  If you treat them as household members, then YOU also count in the the household.  As joint sponsors you do not, and that is the most correct way to deal with this.  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
12 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

They will let you know during the interview.  I just explained the proper way to use your parents as joint sponsor.  If you treat them as household members, then YOU also count in the the household.  As joint sponsors you do not, and that is the most correct way to deal with this.  

Thank you! I will do exactly that!

Timeline
40 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Hi Pushbrk,

Thank you so much for helping me on the AOS question about qualifying income for sponsorship. I have a followup question if you do not mind me asking. Since I will be filling out the I-864 for me and I-864 for my father and an I-864A for my mother I was wondering how to go about the 864 and 864A for my parents. They file their taxes as married filling jointly so their incomes are combined on their 1040. When the 864 and 864A ask for current income and past incomes, how do I answer those questions to show what my dad made and what my mom made? Or would both forms show the same numbers for both parents since the 1040 married filling jointly combines the incomes?

Timeline
36 minutes ago, kp&kp said:

Hi Pushbrk,

Thank you so much for helping me on the AOS question about qualifying income for sponsorship. I have a followup question if you do not mind me asking. Since I will be filling out the I-864 for me and I-864 for my father and an I-864A for my mother I was wondering how to go about the 864 and 864A for my parents. They file their taxes as married filling jointly so their incomes are combined on their 1040. When the 864 and 864A ask for current income and past incomes, how do I answer those questions to show what my dad made and what my mom made? Or would both forms show the same numbers for both parents since the 1040 married filling jointly combines the incomes?

Start be actually reading the I-864 instructions where your answers can easily be found.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

Start be actually reading the I-864 instructions where your answers can easily be found.

I've read over the instructions a few times already. I want to do this right the first time so I don't get any delays. I wouldn't be asking on a forum if I still was not sure of how to proceed.

Thanks anyways.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, kp&kp said:

I've read over the instructions a few times already. I want to do this right the first time so I don't get any delays. I wouldn't be asking on a forum if I still was not sure of how to proceed.

Thanks anyways.

Did you read the part about how to enter prior tax income?  It's pretty direct and clear how you do that.  In the tax section, they will have the total income from the tax return on both forms.  The only thing separated is the current income, which may or may not be anything like what shows on the tax return.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
22 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Did you read the part about how to enter prior tax income?  It's pretty direct and clear how you do that.  In the tax section, they will have the total income from the tax return on both forms.  The only thing separated is the current income, which may or may not be anything like what shows on the tax return.

I reread the 864 instructions and still do not see in the instructions what you are talking about. Can you point me towards where to find out what you are trying to explain?

Thanks

Timeline
11 minutes ago, kp&kp said:

I reread the 864 instructions and still do not see in the instructions what you are talking about. Can you point me towards where to find out what you are trying to explain?

Thanks

No, but if you do what I said, it will be correct.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.