Vi Mazzella

Discrimination

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Why? I think it's a legit question. I have often wondered why many people esp immigrants do not have bank accounts. I don't get it and I am just curious. Is there a reason you don't think the question should be answered?

I'm sure you meant well BUT what other people do with their money is nobody else's business. If they have a bank account or not, if they have savings or not, if they have an IRA or not, all this is stuff shouldn't concern others. It's like asking a couple who's been married for a long time why they haven't had any children. None ya business. :whistle:

I agree with your answer! But for me what was so funny about the question of why you are not using a bank account is

what the hell did it have to do with discrimination!!!

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-10-16

I-129F RFE(s) : 2007-01-10

RFE Reply(s) : 2007--01-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-01-22

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2007-02-05

Interview Date : 2007-04-05

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Why? I think it's a legit question. I have often wondered why many people esp immigrants do not have bank accounts. I don't get it and I am just curious. Is there a reason you don't think the question should be answered?

I'm sure you meant well BUT what other people do with their money is nobody else's business. If they have a bank account or not, if they have savings or not, if they have an IRA or not, all this is stuff shouldn't concern others. It's like asking a couple who's been married for a long time why they haven't had any children. None ya business. :whistle:

I agree with your answer! But for me what was so funny about the question of why you are not using a bank account is

what the hell did it have to do with discrimination!!!

:thumbs:

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Not usually, we live in Florida, but I had a terrible experience with my husband (he's from Peru too) at Amscot trying to get a money order the other day. I won't get into the details it makes me so mad, but let's just say the stupid woman had the nerve to ask us WHAT IT WAS FOR. For our rent, wasn't even a lot of money. I will be complaining to their corporate office :)

My question would be why are you paying your rent with a money order? Why don't you have a regular checking account? I have always seriously wondered about situations like this.

Huh? :blink:

Paying rent is not an exclusively pay w/ check from checking account practice. Some landlords actually prefer a money order, I know of a few....or even another form of payment altogether. What agreement one has w/ their landlord for remittance of rent payment has no bearing whatsoever on having a checking account....or on why (in your opinion)especially immigrants do not have one. :wacko:

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My husband has never written a check in his life because everything he buys or pays for is in cash. This is the Colombian mentality, why buy or get something when you don't have any money. All he has had is a savings account but never checking, so that's something else that I need to show him when he gets here.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
My husband has never written a check in his life because everything he buys or pays for is in cash. This is the Colombian mentality, why buy or get something when you don't have any money. All he has had is a savings account but never checking, so that's something else that I need to show him when he gets here.

My husband is almost exclusively cash as well...has a checking account, but rarely buys anything other than gas with his debit card. They don't take cash everywhere here, though, so he's had to adjust - like with paying the rent. I'm not sure exactly what the rental agreement calls for because the lease was signed (him, his mom, and sister - complicated situation, his mother can't work, his dad died and he works to support them to an extent) before I came in July (moved from NY). The owner is Argentinian, so for all I know he could prefer a money order (get burned a few times with bad checks and any owner would prefer a money order).

Meanwhile, I hate cash so much that I manage to save 15 dollars a week in my keep the change purchases at Bank of America.

Why we pay in a money order is not important to the story, though. That was my thing. My husband gets discriminated against and it's like, "Why were you using a money order in the first place?" like we were doing something wrong. Valid form of payment, does NOT call for discrimination whatsoever.

Not usually, we live in Florida, but I had a terrible experience with my husband (he's from Peru too) at Amscot trying to get a money order the other day. I won't get into the details it makes me so mad, but let's just say the stupid woman had the nerve to ask us WHAT IT WAS FOR. For our rent, wasn't even a lot of money. I will be complaining to their corporate office :)

My question would be why are you paying your rent with a money order? Why don't you have a regular checking account? I have always seriously wondered about situations like this.

Huh? :blink:

Paying rent is not an exclusively pay w/ check from checking account practice. Some landlords actually prefer a money order, I know of a few....or even another form of payment altogether. What agreement one has w/ their landlord for remittance of rent payment has no bearing whatsoever on having a checking account....or on why (in your opinion)especially immigrants do not have one. :wacko:

-P

Makes sense that quite a few landlords might prefer a money order, actually. A check relies on that person having the money in their account - they don't and you get burned even if you can get the money at a later date.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

being a landlord myself

If i could get my tenents to pay in money orders

i would be the most happiest person in the world.

But as i am rereading what happen to your hub

becareful not to call everything discrimination.

The majority of amscotts business is probably derived from immigrants,illegals, people without checking accounts etc, etc, etc,..it would not make business since to discriminate against latinos

because i am sure latinos make up a big percentage of there business...I know tampa a little bit

i actually graduated from highschool there.

now if the story would have been "whats the check for you "!@#%^%&!!" you know you people are just going to buy drugs " dam !@#$#$% or if you can prove the the majority of peruvians that come in have the same experience then you might have a claim. So if it is the first time, just chalk it up to a stupid cashier

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-10-16

I-129F RFE(s) : 2007-01-10

RFE Reply(s) : 2007--01-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-01-22

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2007-02-05

Interview Date : 2007-04-05

Timeline
being a landlord myself

If i could get my tenents to pay in money orders

i would be the most happiest person in the world.

But as i am rereading what happen to your hub

becareful not to call everything discrimination.

The majority of amscotts business is probably derived from immigrants,illegals, people without checking accounts etc, etc, etc,..it would not make business since to discriminate against latinos

because i am sure latinos make up a big percentage of there business...I know tampa a little bit

i actually graduated from highschool there.

now if the story would have been "whats the check for you "!@#%^%&!!" you know you people are just going to buy drugs " dam !@#$#$% or if you can prove the the majority of peruvians that come in have the same experience then you might have a claim. So if it is the first time, just chalk it up to a stupid cashier

I am not chalking it up to a stupid cashier, they will be getting a letter and a phone call from me :) Acceptance of bad service only breeds more bad service. I'll call it what it is, and he was being discriminated against. He knew it, I knew it, all the other people THERE knew it.

She broke policy to give him hard time, rudely asked me what it was for after she'd already been told when it's NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

It doesn't have to happen to all brown people or all Peruvians to be discrimination. It happened to us, and that's that.

But thanks for your opinion anyway. :blink:

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

I lived in Peru all my life and nobody used checks, everybody uses credit cards or cash, and we too pay the rent with cash. Our landlord wants just bills, no checks. I prefer not to use my credit card always cash, why ? I don't know.

Vi

sofsmile-1.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
I lived in Peru all my life and nobody used checks, everybody uses credit cards or cash, and we too pay the rent with cash. Our landlord wants just bills, no checks. I prefer not to use my credit card always cash, why ? I don't know.

Vi

My husband is the same way. As far as discrimination goes, we don't have to deal with that here in Austin. It's such a culturally diverse city, no one even seems to notice ethnicity much. We are very fortunate.

ONE DAY AT A TIME....

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

12/30/2008: Overnighted I-751 package to VSC

01/06/2009: Check cashed

01/06/2009: NOA (arrived 01/09/09)

01/23/2009: Biometrics appt letter received

01/31/2009: Biometrics scheduled

05/20/2009: APPROVED

06/23/2009: 10 Year Green Card arrived

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't get why people are obligated to have an account, and why are people without one being discriminated in a topic "against" discrimination. :huh:

I don't see any problems paying rent with a money order, we have an account and we pay ours cash, we prefer it this way.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline
I don't get why people are obligated to have an account, and why are people without one being discriminated in a topic "against" discrimination. :huh:

I don't see any problems paying rent with a money order, we have an account and we pay ours cash, we prefer it this way.

:thumbs: I'm almost starting to prefer it to - don't have to wait for a check to clear!

They don't obligate you to have an acct ... says so on their website. Just us, I guess. :(

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: Timeline
...but I would be careful not to assume that stereotypes are always the same as discrimination..

I agree. So far I've seen ignorance and stereotyping, but not anything that I'd consider to be discrimination.

As an immigrant myself I encounter ignorant people every single day. Just yesterday, I was outside minding my own business smoking a cigarette when a co-worker that I don't know very well started a conversation with me that morphed into him thrusting his finger into my face, demanding that I acknowledge that Americans are indeed the stupidest people in the western world.

That's not even discrimination, though. That's just an a$$hole.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
...but I would be careful not to assume that stereotypes are always the same as discrimination..

I agree. So far I've seen ignorance and stereotyping, but not anything that I'd consider to be discrimination.

As an immigrant myself I encounter ignorant people every single day. Just yesterday, I was outside minding my own business smoking a cigarette when a co-worker that I don't know very well started a conversation with me that morphed into him thrusting his finger into my face, demanding that I acknowledge that Americans are indeed the stupidest people in the western world.

That's not even discrimination, though. That's just an a$$hole.

sounds like he needs to acknowledge himself in that category :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline
sounds like he needs to acknowledge himself in that category :lol:

He's a total #######. Problem is, he thinks that we're on friendly terms when in fact, I hate his stinking guts. So whenever he sees me, he tries to start conversations. He doesn't even realize that what he said was offensive.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.