Vi Mazzella

Discrimination...

157 posts in this topic

Once I went to Banana Republic and 2 guys (latinos) walked in front of me, as soon as they saw me walking next to them I had security people following me (and they were SO OBVIOUS)It was so uncomfortable that I had to leave the place.

I completely believe that that happens to you. In fact, it happens to me too, and I'm not even latina, but some people think I am. It's disgusting and it pisses me off royally.

The same thing happened to my husband at Wal-Mart..the greeter on the way out wanted to check his reciept and his bag and make sure that he paid for everything. It's hard being latino in Texas right now. Another thing, I worked at the airport for years, and I got so tired of people freaking out every time a Arab looking person came around or on a plane, thinking they were gonna blow up the place. One of my best friends is Pakastani descent, and she would just be in tears because of it. I'm glad I've been lucky enough to be exposed to so many cultures and learn from all of my friends.

panama17xu.gif texas19sn.gif

pequen4io.jpg

Married January 18, 2006

08 JUN 2006.....AP document recieved :)

09 JUN 2006.....regular EAD approval

14 JUN 2006.....regular EAD recieved in mail

22 JUL 2006......AOS and EAD (?) touched...moving along maybe? :)

21 AUG 2006....Recieved interview letter!

26 SEP 2006.....INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!

26 SEP 2006.....APPROVED WITH FLYING COLORS!

05 OCT 2006....Welcome letter recieved

11 OCT 2006....THE CARD ARRIVES!!!!!!!!!!

15 SEP 2008.....Sent for removal of conditions

24 SEP 2008.....NOA for removal of conditions

10 MAR 2009....Transferred from VSC to CSC

22 MAY 2009.....REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS APPROVED!!!!!! :) Citizenship here we come!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My SO's best friend's father, said he wanted to live in Mexico after his retirement but he wasnt sure about it because we didnt have all the amenities the States has. #######?? Like what: bathrooms? BMW's? PLASMA TV's? What was he talking about? That just shows ingnorance, at least I have something he doesnt: BOOKS!!

Thank God not all americans are like that, I've met incredible people there, othewise I will stay in my country. Ohh and when I told my SO i was going to Austria to learn german he said: do they have kangaroos over there?? (i guess that wasnt too bad, Australia-Austria ???) but what is really bad is that he confuses Germany and Austria all the time, because they both speak german, and he asks me sooo how is Germany, Austria whatever?? :bonk:

20/Dec/06 I-129F sent to TSC

06/Jan/07 transfered to the CSC

15/Jan/07 I-129F sent to CSC

18/Jan/07 NOA1

03/May/07 NOA2

04/May/07 touched

07/May/07 NVC recived

09/May/07 left NVC

15/May/07 NOA2 hard copy

17/May/07 Package 3 recived

31/May/07 medical exams

04/Jun/07 interview, approved!!

06/Jun/07 visa in hand

10/Jun/07 going home

14/Jun/07 wedding

22/Jun/07 SSN name changed

27/Jul/07 filed for AOS

30/Jul/07 Chicago recived

01/Nov/07 called 911 domestic abuse

05/Nov/07 police came to help me to get my stuff out of the house

07//Nov/07 Biometrics

19/Nov/07 EAC

??/Dec/07 injunction granted against him

??/Jan/08 failure to interview

??/Feb/08 Notice from immigration: 30 days to leave the country before removal procedures start

01/Apr/08 I-360 NOA1

29/Aug/08 I-360, I-765,I485 NOA1 (my attorney sent a new I360...???)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Once I went to Banana Republic and 2 guys (latinos) walked in front of me, as soon as they saw me walking next to them I had security people following me (and they were SO OBVIOUS)It was so uncomfortable that I had to leave the place.

I completely believe that that happens to you. In fact, it happens to me too, and I'm not even latina, but some people think I am. It's disgusting and it pisses me off royally.

The same thing happened to my husband at Wal-Mart..the greeter on the way out wanted to check his reciept and his bag and make sure that he paid for everything. It's hard being latino in Texas right now. Another thing, I worked at the airport for years, and I got so tired of people freaking out every time a Arab looking person came around or on a plane, thinking they were gonna blow up the place. One of my best friends is Pakastani descent, and she would just be in tears because of it. I'm glad I've been lucky enough to be exposed to so many cultures and learn from all of my friends.

My local walmart checked everyone's bags for years. And most of the people in this area were white...

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You shouldn't be shopping at Walmart anyway. If you do shop there, you deserve to get dumped on.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
but what is really bad is that he confuses Germany and Austria all the time, because they both speak german, and he asks me sooo how is Germany, Austria whatever?? :bonk:

Oh, oh, a lot of Austrians and Bavarians would hate that statement and feel personally offended! :P;)

Concerning Wal Mart: Yeah, why, what's wrong with them? One of the only places around here that's opened 24/7. :thumbs:

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

:( <- my face right now

This is definetly one of the things that scares me the most about moving to the US.

My fiance lives in Austin and he's told me that is it a very welcoming city. I spent 3 weeks there in january and everyone was really nice, but then again I was a total tourist, with my camera with me all the time and taking pictures standing next to a police car and of Stubbs bbq (can't wait to go there again, yumm!)

One thing that I did notice, is that when I was by myself a few people just assumed I didn't speak english -like a couple of cashiers at HEB and office depot-...but oh well, not a big deal

Another small thing that I noticed is, my fiance lives near a school, and I went for a walk one day and one of those security guys that look over the kids when they leave the school kind of looked at me suspicious (maybe it was just that he'd never seen me around the neighbourhood before), I just waved and said Hi, and I guessed that put his mind at ease because then he'd always wave when he saw me walk by.

One funny thing is that we went to a bar one night and we were worried that I had my argentinian ID with me, and maybe they'd think it's fake, but the guy at the door just looked at it and said "welcome to America!" and let me in, that was preety funny...then I didn't know you couldn't take your beer outside and he saw me coming and took it away...snif. But that was just funny, no discrimination there.

I can take the small things fine, I don't care about that, I hope it doesn't change much when I'm actually living there

I'm still preety worried though :(

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Timeline
Concerning Wal Mart: Yeah, why, what's wrong with them? One of the only places around here that's opened 24/7. :thumbs:
Well, if you don't know...then nothing I guess.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's a symbol of American consumerism -- it's about buying things we don't need with money we don't have :D

Which is great :P

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
One thing that I did notice, is that when I was by myself a few people just assumed I didn't speak english
When I go to the U.S., I assume that no one there speaks English either. If they did, then when I tell someone, "no mayo, mustard, or ketchup", I would get a burger without mayo, mustard, or ketchup.
one of those security guys that look over the kids when they leave the school kind of looked at me suspicious
Uh, that's what they are supposed to do. Don't you know? Everyone in the US is a terrorist, unless it is proven otherwise.

Cheers!

AKDiver

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

It's a symbol of American consumerism -- it's about buying things we don't need with money we don't have :D

Which is great :P

Agreed. Love shopping and consumerism :):P

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
I hate to burst your bubble, but they were teasing you.

No seriously they where not,the two people that asked me that where as embaressed as can be as they found out the true fact. I found it pretty funny really.

Filed: Timeline
:( <- my face right now

This is definetly one of the things that scares me the most about moving to the US.

My fiance lives in Austin and he's told me that is it a very welcoming city. I spent 3 weeks there in january and everyone was really nice, but then again I was a total tourist, with my camera with me all the time and taking pictures standing next to a police car and of Stubbs bbq (can't wait to go there again, yumm!)

One thing that I did notice, is that when I was by myself a few people just assumed I didn't speak english -like a couple of cashiers at HEB and office depot-...but oh well, not a big deal

Another small thing that I noticed is, my fiance lives near a school, and I went for a walk one day and one of those security guys that look over the kids when they leave the school kind of looked at me suspicious (maybe it was just that he'd never seen me around the neighbourhood before), I just waved and said Hi, and I guessed that put his mind at ease because then he'd always wave when he saw me walk by.

One funny thing is that we went to a bar one night and we were worried that I had my argentinian ID with me, and maybe they'd think it's fake, but the guy at the door just looked at it and said "welcome to America!" and let me in, that was preety funny...then I didn't know you couldn't take your beer outside and he saw me coming and took it away...snif. But that was just funny, no discrimination there.

I can take the small things fine, I don't care about that, I hope it doesn't change much when I'm actually living there

I'm still preety worried though :(

Austin's a great city; I lived there for six years and because of the University of Texas and high-tech employers all over the area, they're pretty used to out-of-towners down there.

A lot of the bars will take foreign ID, mostly because they don't really care if it's fake or not. Supermarkets and liquor stores are much less willing to accept even out-of-state ID, so I recommend that you get at least a state ID card as soon as you arrive in Texas if you want to make age-restricted purchases. Some places don't care, but others are really ####### about that. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I hate to burst your bubble, but they were teasing you.

No seriously they where not,the two people that asked me that where as embaressed as can be as they found out the true fact. I found it pretty funny really.

I don't believe it, I've never met anybody that stupid. We took history in school too; they made it pretty clear to us that Hitler was, in fact, deceased. :lol:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
One thing that I did notice, is that when I was by myself a few people just assumed I didn't speak english
When I go to the U.S., I assume that no one there speaks English either. If they did, then when I tell someone, "no mayo, mustard, or ketchup", I would get a burger without mayo, mustard, or ketchup.
one of those security guys that look over the kids when they leave the school kind of looked at me suspicious
Uh, that's what they are supposed to do. Don't you know? Everyone in the US is a terrorist, unless it is proven otherwise.

Cheers!

AKDiver

:lol:

"I'm innocent, I swear, I'm just here for the Tex-Mex!"

mmm maybe they don't know I'm a poor hungry southamerican, so the most I can do is throw a rock, because it's free :P

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.