Vi Mazzella

Discrimination...

157 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

a). Is anyone REALLY surprised that discrimination exists? I mean, come on now, we're all adults here. Be honest.

B). If Europe was so great, the Europeans would be convincing the Americans to immigrate there instead of them coming here. Sure, some of them do, no doubt. However, based on what I have seen on this board, the overwhelming majority do not. Not real surprising since this board is about coming to the US (: Nevertheless - I am willing to bet serious cash that more Europeans are coming to America than vice-versa.

c). There are plenty of measures that indicate that in Europe (at least some nations of Europe) one can have a "higher quality of life" (as measured by criteria that may not be reasonable for a given individual). Sure. But nevertheless, people are coming here. Despite the totalitarian regime currently in power (sigh), there still seems to be a broad appeal that draws an awful lot of people, relative to other places. Yes, yes, there are lots of reasons for this - but the facts still remain.

For what it's worth, once my (Russian) wife and I finish graduate school, we plan to move out of the U.S. somewhere - anywhere. Australia and Ireland are top picks, but UAE and Peru are other destinations at the top of the list. (:

Cheers!

AKDiver

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
The fact that non-Americans persistently delight in telling us what ignorant idiots we are probably doesn't help either.
Especially Texans.

Cheers!

AKDiver

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Is moving out of the US going to solve your discrimination issues?

I've only been out of the country to Jamaica so I can't speak for every other country. I do know I felt I was discriminated against in Jamaica.

I also have friends from Canada who I love to death;but sometimes I feel some of their comments are discriminatory.

Not sure discrimination is something you can actually run and hide from. It's everywhere.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Well, I don't see how, since I have no discrimination issues, and my desire to move out of the US has nothing to do with discrimination.
I also have friends from Canada who I love to death;but sometimes I feel some of their comments are discriminatory.
I think you are confusing having an opinion or attitude about something with discrimination.
Not sure discrimination is something you can actually run and hide from.
Not sure I ever said I had this goal.

Cheers!

AKDiver

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Well, I don't see how, since I have no discrimination issues, and my desire to move out of the US has nothing to do with discrimination.
I think you are confusing having an opinion or attitude about something with discrimination.
Not sure discrimination is something you can actually run and hide from.
Not sure I ever said I had this goal.

Cheers!

AKDiver

Since I did not quote exactly what my friends said, you have no basis for this comment.

And, what some people call opinion or attitude could be considered discriminatory no matter how they meant it.

Sorry that I assumed you were moving because of discrimination issues. You did, however, mention moving in the discrimination thread. It was a leap I took.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline
I have to agree with everyone on this one...it's a wonderful eye-opener to travel Europe and I'm glad to have done it.

I've seen things many Americans haven't...century old buildings, famous little towns, art - hell, I've seen a piece of art painted during the renaissance from an artist who's supposedly one of my ancestors! Anyways, i suppose for me, it was a wonderful and awe inspiring experience, one which I am so thankful I had.

At the same time, I've heard that 'Americans need to travel more' ironically from people who have never been to America! Pot, Kettle!

I suppose it all boils down to the individual...clearly HA and MW feel there's nowt in Europe that can't be had here....although, I relate quite a bit to HA in the respect that we're both very proud Americans who live/lived in the UK...and please don't underestimate how VASTLY different everything is, ahhahaah. But in York, I'm shocked that things living around things like the City walls, the shambles, York Minster, isn't a mindblowing experience for her! It soooooooo was for me...and not just for the initial part of my stay.

I do feel my expereinces there have changed me for the better. It's good to get out of the fishbowl every now and again.

I didn't say Europe doesn't have anything to offer; other people just assumed that is what I thought. I simply do not like to travel, and my dislike of traveling extends to my own country as well. I hate flying, I hate staying in hotels, I hate living out of suitcases.

York was intriguing the first time I saw it...but after six years, it has gotten old.

Nobody said that Native Americans don't have thousands of years of history and culture, of course they do, and very interesting it is too. I am sure that lots of Europeans that visit the US take away some very interesting facts and cultural information regarding early American civilization.

:thumbs:

Sure sure...you said that after someone agreed with me. Pwnd.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Timeline
Since I did not quote exactly what my friends said, you have no basis for this comment.
Sure I do.
And, what some people call opinion or attitude could be considered discriminatory no matter how they meant it.
Well, no. Discrimination involves behaviour, not attitudes and opinions. For example, if you are a purple person, and I tell you to your face, "You know what man, I really HATE purple people", that is not discrimination. On the other hand, if you apply for a job with me, and I do not hire you ONLY BECAUSE you are a purple person, well, that is discrimination. On the other hand, if I refuse to hire you because you don't speak Japanese, well, that's discrimination too.
Sorry that I assumed you were moving because of discrimination issues. You did, however, mention moving in the discrimination thread. It was a leap I took.
Discrimination perhaps?

Cheers!

AKDiver

Timeline

By the way - discrimination is a GOOD thing. The human species would have died out a long time ago had it not evolved to discriminate based on perception.

Everyone discriminates, every day. Discrimination has become a dirty word, even though it really is nothing more than choosing behaviour A over behaviour B (typically making a choice to take some action based on stimulii), for whatever reason.

People need to understand and appreciate the difference between discrimination, and discrimination that is deemed illegal under the law.

Cheers!

AKDiver

I have to agree with everyone on this one...it's a wonderful eye-opener to travel Europe and I'm glad to have done it.

I've seen things many Americans haven't...century old buildings, famous little towns, art - hell, I've seen a piece of art painted during the renaissance from an artist who's supposedly one of my ancestors! Anyways, i suppose for me, it was a wonderful and awe inspiring experience, one which I am so thankful I had.

At the same time, I've heard that 'Americans need to travel more' ironically from people who have never been to America! Pot, Kettle!

I suppose it all boils down to the individual...clearly HA and MW feel there's nowt in Europe that can't be had here....although, I relate quite a bit to HA in the respect that we're both very proud Americans who live/lived in the UK...and please don't underestimate how VASTLY different everything is, ahhahaah. But in York, I'm shocked that things living around things like the City walls, the shambles, York Minster, isn't a mindblowing experience for her! It soooooooo was for me...and not just for the initial part of my stay.

I do feel my expereinces there have changed me for the better. It's good to get out of the fishbowl every now and again.

I didn't say Europe doesn't have anything to offer; other people just assumed that is what I thought. I simply do not like to travel, and my dislike of traveling extends to my own country as well. I hate flying, I hate staying in hotels, I hate living out of suitcases.

York was intriguing the first time I saw it...but after six years, it has gotten old.

Nobody said that Native Americans don't have thousands of years of history and culture, of course they do, and very interesting it is too. I am sure that lots of Europeans that visit the US take away some very interesting facts and cultural information regarding early American civilization.

Sure sure...you said that after someone agreed with me. Pwnd.

Whatever you say....and what does pwnd mean?

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

No need to explain Pwnd.....i looked it up already

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I was just saying that they miss a lot by not visiting Europe.

What are they missing? What does Europe have that America doesn't? :wacko:

Yeah, I'm sort of with you on that.

Sorry, HA...that's what I inferred from what you wrote above.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Thousands of years of history, and culture

Ugh. UGH. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I HATE it when Europeans say this. Do they not realize that people with their own history and their own culture have been living in north and south America for tens of thousands of years? It's so ARROGANT of them to think that history did not start in the Americas until after THEY arrived.

Go tell a Native American that they don't have thousands of years of history and culture...see what they tell you. I dare you. Please film it.

I wouldn't say that the modern American culture is the continuation of the Native American civilization. Well, it isn't :) The United States as a civilization have been around for only over 200 years. It's not a long time, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and there is no need to try to compete with each other. If a country has a shorter history, it doesn't mean it's inferior to European countries.

Edited by Jewel12

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Thousands of years of history, and culture

Ugh. UGH. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I HATE it when Europeans say this. Do they not realize that people with their own history and their own culture have been living in north and south America for tens of thousands of years? It's so ARROGANT of them to think that history did not start in the Americas until after THEY arrived.

Go tell a Native American that they don't have thousands of years of history and culture...see what they tell you. I dare you. Please film it.

I wouldn't say that the modern American culture is the continuation of the Native American civilization. Well, it isn't :) The United States as a civilization have been around for only over 200 years. It's not a long time, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and there is no need to try to compete with each other. If a country has a shorter history, it doesn't mean it's inferior to European countries.

I never implied that the US was inferior to Europe, I simply said that Americans miss out on the history and culture if they don't visit.

Homesick American has stated that she dislikes to travel, that is her perogative. She has obviously done some travel in her life as she now lives in the UK.

Lets just agree to differ.........its kinda like the chocolate :blink:

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

It's pretty hard to experience Native American culture in a casual visit to the US anyway - it's there to see on reservations and a few museums, but you don't land at an airport at a major American city and get a sense of thousands of years of history here as you do in most European cities. It doesn't mean its "better" or "worse" - its just different.

I also agree that Americans (or Europeans/Asians/Latins/Africans/Australians) miss out on a lot when they don't visit other countries.

Edited by robinklake

90day.jpg

I wouldn't call it discrimination, but what it is: ignorant prejudice. Assuming every Hispanic-looking person (which basically means 'brown with black hair') is a nanny or a maid really just mean the rich white people need to get out of their bubble a little more.

Don't sweat it. Anti-Hispanic sentiment is a bit high in the U.S. now, but most people aren't ####### once you get to know them.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.